Whats your insurance cost? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-08-2004, 10:29 PM Thread Starter

Question Whats your insurance cost?

Hi All,

I'm wondering what everyones paying for insurance. I asked for a quote from my State Farm insurance agent, comes out to ~400 something a year. I do an online quote from Progressive, comes out to over 2000 a year.

I don't understand how there can be such a big differece. Am I missing something? The quote from State Farm is for 50k/100k/50k liability, 100 comprehensive/250 collision. 50k/100k under/un insured. This is for a liter bike (Yamaha R1 998cc) seems they only take into account the cc's of the motorcycle. The difference between the liter bike and a 600 is about $50 dollars.

Other stats about myself 27 years old, married, multi line discount (have house insurance too), multi car, vehicle safety, accident free, discounts.

Is Progressive just charging a crazy amount or is State Farm a really good company? Which one is the more unusual one. And what are you paying for your insurance.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-09-2004, 06:28 AM

Hey,
I am 27 married but have cars insured elsewhere and am new to motorcycles so my insurance was high all around but it is my experience that progressive was usually 2-3 times higher than all the other quotes. From what I have hear state farm is pretty good.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-09-2004, 06:41 AM

I just got an insurance quote yesterday, and Progressive gave the lowest quote... About $350/yr for basic coverage plus $10,000 medical. Another place quoted me at $1200/yr for the same coverage. Those companies that charge that much make it clear they don't want your business. Oh, and they offer 10% discount if you have the MSF course.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-09-2004, 01:07 PM

Allstate got me $161 a year for full coverage.

I have been with them for 9 years and never had a ticket or claim.

Edit: Geico and Progressive both gave me rediculous quotes, both over 2000$ a year on full coverage.

State farm was reasonable at $279 a year

Also, don't go too crazy getting ins quotes, they do show up on your credit report as an inquiry.

Last edited by Lunitar; 05-09-2004 at 01:09 PM.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-10-2004, 05:30 AM
S370HSSV 0773H

Send a message via Yahoo to spicersh
Re: Whats your insurance cost?

Quote:
Originally posted by ddreg
Hi All,

I'm wondering what everyones paying for insurance. I asked for a quote from my State Farm insurance agent, comes out to ~400 something a year. I do an online quote from Progressive, comes out to over 2000 a year.

I don't understand how there can be such a big differece. Am I missing something? The quote from State Farm is for 50k/100k/50k liability, 100 comprehensive/250 collision. 50k/100k under/un insured. This is for a liter bike (Yamaha R1 998cc) seems they only take into account the cc's of the motorcycle. The difference between the liter bike and a 600 is about $50 dollars.

Other stats about myself 27 years old, married, multi line discount (have house insurance too), multi car, vehicle safety, accident free, discounts.

Is Progressive just charging a crazy amount or is State Farm a really good company? Which one is the more unusual one. And what are you paying for your insurance.

Thanks.
From personal experience and from other people's stories on here I've noticed that State Farm pretty much can't be beat. Unfortunately they don't write motorcycle-only policies. You pretty much have to be a perfect driver for them to touch you as well, so if you have tickets, a dui, etc. then you'll have a hard time getting them to write you a policy.

As far as how much we paid, I think it was about $400 a year for our F4, $600 a year for our XX, and I think $300 or so a year for our Blast. All are full coverage.

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all of fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomanical, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully. - Richard Dawkins, The God Delusion
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-10-2004, 07:25 AM
Some days are like this.

Re: Re: Whats your insurance cost?

Quote:
Originally posted by spicersh

As far as how much we paid, I think it was about $400 a year for our F4, $600 a year for our XX, and I think $300 or so a year for our Blast. All are full coverage.
for "full coverage" our limits were 100/300/100 with $250 deducitbles, 100/300 un/underinsured and I had one ticket.

Not too bad, IMO.

"I often wonder why I talk to you, then I realize, although you put me down, you do it with love." - Jester
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode