Save your bike from sinking!!! - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-03-2004, 07:29 AM Thread Starter

Save your bike from sinking!!!

With most of us out & riding, to some that are new to the sport. Allow me to suggest that when parking the bike on fresh or 1-2 yr old asphalt parking lots THAT the prop stand can slowly sink in the asphalt, in hot weather, & over will go your bike.

One needs to carry something that can just slip under the prop stand, yet not place the bike in a position that it might go over to the right with a bit of wind.

Something around 1/8 to 1/4" in thickness & around the the size of a sticky note (3"X3") is the answer.

Check what dealers are using if they have carpeting or what they might carry in stock.

If you have hockey rinks or roller skating rinks & such that use a plastic as the "boards" these are often replaced with none scuffed up material & that is what I grabbed, then cut into said size to even a hair smaller with rounded edges. Carry one in several m/c jacket pockets & one under the seat of the bike.

Simply put down the prop stand, drop the above close & feed it under the end of the prop stand-----bike feels okay then fine & when you come back flick it out & into the pocket again. Takes a few seconds each time & far less dramatic & time consuming then having the bike repaired for NOT having one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-03-2004, 07:57 AM

Send a message via AIM to Tippmann Send a message via Yahoo to Tippmann
I bought a 1.4" thick piece of plastic shaped like a foot for 2 dollars. Oddly enough, it's called a cycle foot, and it does it's job well.

edit: this is a good topic for those who don't know any better though. Your bike WILL fall over if it sinks into the blacktop.

Quote:
Originally posted by sidewaysducati
SWIPE THE CARD GRANDMA!!!
SWIPE THE GODDAMNED CARD!!!!
WARNING
If you are reading this then this warning is for you. Every word you read of this useless fine print is another second off your life. Don't you have other things to do? Is your life so empty that you honestly can't think of a better way to spend these moments? Or are you so impressed with authority that you give respect and credence to all who claim it? Do you read everything you're supposed to read? Do you think everything you're supposed to think? Buy what you're told you should want? Get out of your apartment. Meet a member of the opposite sex. Stop the excessive shopping and masturbation. Quit your job. Start a fight. Prove you're alive. If you don't claim your humanity you will become a statistic. You have been warned...... Tyler

Last edited by Tippmann; 05-03-2004 at 07:59 AM.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-03-2004, 08:00 AM
S370HSSV 0773H

Send a message via Yahoo to spicersh
I've used a few different things ranging from a crushed Coke can to a 1/8" small piece of plywood I broke off of a scrap piece. Both easily fit under the seat and worked well. Just make sure you use something. Good advice Smitty!

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all of fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomanical, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully. - Richard Dawkins, The God Delusion

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-03-2004, 12:52 PM Thread Starter

Not wanting to be the one leading with this but possibly this, once there are some more Posts on it, could be almost a sticky for I seem to have to remind people 2 to 4 times a year about this one minor matter that can be costly.

Possibly it should be down in the "New Riders" bit, but just a suggestion. Fortunately I saw this happening to regular bikes back in the 50s & so carried similiar diameter in thinner alluminium pieces. A few followed only forgot to round off the ends & edges to end up with cuts to their hands.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-03-2004, 12:59 PM
S370HSSV 0773H

Send a message via Yahoo to spicersh
If you wish I can move it to the New Rider section for you, but I think the Daily Rider forum gets just as much if not more traffic. Just let me know.

On a similar topic, one I've seen a few times lately, is just remembering to put the kickstand down in the first place! With riding season starting up people have to get back into the swing of things as far as riding, and that means down to the very smallest details. I've already seen a few times people go to park their bike and start to get off and almost walk away without dropping the kickstand. Being too far away to warn them by yelling or any other method all I could do was watch and hope they remembered before letting go. Both riders did catch their mistake before their bikes kissed the pavement, but both could have been ugly. I didn't know either rider personally so it would be hard to judge thier levels of riding experience and whether or not that contributed to the lack of attention.

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all of fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomanical, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully. - Richard Dawkins, The God Delusion
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-03-2004, 04:14 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to DaDuck748
I was gonna post this last week, but I'm a lazy-ass so ya beat me to it, Smitty.

Actually, a couple years ago when I was riding my ZX-9R, the stand sunk about an inch into the asphalt and strangely enough, the temp dropped suddenly enough that it sealed over. I had to chip away at the 'phalt to release my bike from its clutches <no pun intended>.

Again, being the lazy arse I am, I haven't gotten around to taking something with me. My Duc ruined my work's pavement. Think a laptop will work?
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-03-2004, 04:14 PM

good advice smitty....down here i actually wished we had the new black top syndrone but because Louisiana politicians line their pants with our tax money we dont see new roads too often
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-03-2004, 04:23 PM

Send a message via AIM to Tippmann Send a message via Yahoo to Tippmann
Quote:
Originally posted by AudioSolstice
good advice smitty....down here i actually wished we had the new black top syndrone but because Louisiana politicians line their pants with our tax money we dont see new roads too often
It's more of a parking lot kinda thing since you don't put your kickstand down in the middle of the road much

Quote:
Originally posted by sidewaysducati
SWIPE THE CARD GRANDMA!!!
SWIPE THE GODDAMNED CARD!!!!
WARNING
If you are reading this then this warning is for you. Every word you read of this useless fine print is another second off your life. Don't you have other things to do? Is your life so empty that you honestly can't think of a better way to spend these moments? Or are you so impressed with authority that you give respect and credence to all who claim it? Do you read everything you're supposed to read? Do you think everything you're supposed to think? Buy what you're told you should want? Get out of your apartment. Meet a member of the opposite sex. Stop the excessive shopping and masturbation. Quit your job. Start a fight. Prove you're alive. If you don't claim your humanity you will become a statistic. You have been warned...... Tyler
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-03-2004, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Tippmann
It's more of a parking lot kinda thing since you don't put your kickstand down in the middle of the road much
thanks for catching me tippmann.....i swear studying for these finals are really getting to me.....im talking about parking in the middle of the road what is next?
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-03-2004, 08:43 PM

As a newb getting ready to buy his first bike:

Thank you. I NEVER would have thought of this, and I would have been a little pissed to see my bike on its side when I parked it correctly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode