lend me a hand... - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums
View Poll Results: The worst influence that causes young/new riders to make bad decisions is:
Movies like Biker Boyz/Torque that glorify Squid-style riding 13 36.11%
Peer pressure from other irresponsible riders aka Squids 18 50.00%
Magazines that make the latest 04 R1 too tempting to buy... 2 5.56%
DVD's like Judgement Day etc. that add to the stereotype of rebel bikers 3 8.33%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-02-2004, 01:00 PM Thread Starter

Talking lend me a hand...

Hey guys, I'm doing a research paper for my English class dealing with sportbikes and was looking for some input. I'm planning on posting a couple polls so I have some numbers to fall back on to support my research. I haven't decided on specific topics yet but it's going to revolve around the negative image of sportbikers as portrayed by the media...anyway here we go...

What do you guys think is the biggest influence that causes young/new riders to make bad decisions regarding their riding style and choice of bike?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-02-2004, 02:01 PM

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that it is just the peer preasure that makes people do it. I believe at the age of 16 we should all know by that time we can not go out and do some of the stuff we see in the movies, sure their are some dumbies that try to. I think it's just seeing someone doing a wheelie through town and having people telling you to try one that makes you try it. But this is just my opion.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-02-2004, 03:55 PM

An option not given in your poll is how squids are affected by the way the sportbike image is portrayed in rap/hiphop videos. Here, in NY city and the surrounding boroughs, a lot of the squidly riders dress and act like the riders they see in these videos. I wanna say that it really jumped off several years back w/ the ruff ryderz rap video, but it may have been before then? Regardless of how/when it all started, these young riders try to emulate their favorite rap/hiphop artists, which is usually about the squidliest behavior you'll ever see.

BTW, I voted for peer pressure because a movie is a movie, nothing more nothing less, and a kid's only gonna do something if his/her buddies think it's cool.

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-02-2004, 03:57 PM
Resident Smart Ass!

Send a message via AIM to Jester Send a message via Yahoo to Jester
Hmmm you did not have my option.

Wanting a bike but instead of starting on something small get the biggest and fastest to start with. That is one trend that I have seen lately.

Help control the squid population, have your squid spayed or neutered

"it's not the smart ass behavior that gets to me... it's the dumb ass behavior that is a problem..." -Quote from my Aunt.

Only motorcycle riders understand why dogs stick their head out of car windows.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-02-2004, 04:55 PM

Girls.
Looking at them.
Showing off for them.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-03-2004, 05:18 AM

Send a message via AIM to DocThee Send a message via Yahoo to DocThee
I don't think that some of the "kids" mentioned in the replies are in it for the joy of riding. They are in it to look cool for their friends and chicks. To them it is not about the ride, it is about the look. Most of the squids I know don't know what the AMA is, let alone how to spell it.

To people like us, it is about passion for your bike and the passion of riding. So I would have to say that the influence is from other irresponible riders as well as the videos.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Keep the ride on...

AIM and Yahoo! - DocThee

"Anything can be a medicine or a poison."

Virtus Junxit Mors Non Seperabit
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-03-2004, 02:52 PM

Send a message via AIM to Tippmann Send a message via Yahoo to Tippmann
Seeing other squids on the road make someone want to squid it up themselves. I don't thing anyone gives a shit about these big budget craptacular movies.

Quote:
Originally posted by sidewaysducati
SWIPE THE CARD GRANDMA!!!
SWIPE THE GODDAMNED CARD!!!!
WARNING
If you are reading this then this warning is for you. Every word you read of this useless fine print is another second off your life. Don't you have other things to do? Is your life so empty that you honestly can't think of a better way to spend these moments? Or are you so impressed with authority that you give respect and credence to all who claim it? Do you read everything you're supposed to read? Do you think everything you're supposed to think? Buy what you're told you should want? Get out of your apartment. Meet a member of the opposite sex. Stop the excessive shopping and masturbation. Quit your job. Start a fight. Prove you're alive. If you don't claim your humanity you will become a statistic. You have been warned...... Tyler
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-03-2004, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Tippmann
Seeing other squids on the road make someone want to squid it up themselves. I don't thing anyone gives a shit about these big budget craptacular movies.
i agree with you tippman i feel embarassed for the people who buy bikes because they want to be like Lawrence fishbourne from biker boys
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-03-2004, 07:32 PM

Definatley peer pressure all the way.

I was happy as all hell when i picked up my ninja 250 a few weeks ago. I shared the news with a few coworkers and everyone I talked to was horrified that i did not decide to start out on a larger bike.

One guy would just not let it go, he went on and on about how he bought an 1100 and drove it off the truck bed without a ramp the day he got it. He also told me to only use the back brake, that fronts are dangerous

After i thought things could not get worse, he laughed and commented on how i probably ride around in a full face helmet and a 'power ranger suit' , yeah i do, i got full gear before the bike so i would not be tempted, after all i am only human.

I could write all day with the idiot storys i have gotten at work, A die hard harley guy was telling me that 'picking gravel out of yourself is like a rite of passage' JFC i will just let it go at that, i could bitch all night about those morons.

Oh, the kicker is the both people proclaiming my bike sucks get driven to work by none other than mommy, a sad thing when your over 40

Peace,

I love riding more and more with every mile on my 250
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-03-2004, 07:37 PM
Resident Smart Ass!

Send a message via AIM to Jester Send a message via Yahoo to Jester
Lunitar,
Let them complain man. Jealousy is an ugly thing! Yippee, so the moron got an 1100 for his first bike Who cares?! I think that you did the best thing by starting small.

As for the rest of the moron's that slammed you 'em!

Glad you are enjoying life on two wheels!

Ride safe!

Help control the squid population, have your squid spayed or neutered

"it's not the smart ass behavior that gets to me... it's the dumb ass behavior that is a problem..." -Quote from my Aunt.

Only motorcycle riders understand why dogs stick their head out of car windows.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode