wind, knocking bikes over - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-02-2004, 12:35 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to Chris Sedition Send a message via Yahoo to Chris Sedition
wind, knocking bikes over

hey...question for all you peoples out there.
what kinda wind gusts does it take to knock-over a parked bike?
my last bike was 500+ pounds and it never really semed to have a problem (sans the hurricanes). but the new R6 is a lot lighter than that, and i just wanna be prepared for it. anyone had the unfortunate experience of this happening to them?

-chr|s sedition

LISTEN TO SLAYER
AIM: chR1s sedition
Yahoo: CSedition

2003 R1 (black / red / hell-fire)

"All black, no bling"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-02-2004, 04:40 PM

Post wind

If its windy enough to knock over your bike i just dont ride at all.. i would just make sure i position the bike so the kick stand is oppsite side from which the wind is blowing... the wind shouldnt be an issue.. up my
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-02-2004, 06:07 PM

Yea I don't think I've ever heard of it happening. Maybe in some strange case somewhere, but its not something you really need to worry about. I was worried about the same thing with my first bike.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-02-2004, 08:04 PM

it actaully happened to someone i know..he has a 954rr and he was washing it on a windy ass day and a monster gust tipped the gal over....well at least thats what he claims
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-02-2004, 10:14 PM

Send a message via AIM to Tippmann Send a message via Yahoo to Tippmann
Quote:
Originally posted by AudioSolstice
....well at least thats what he claims
Yeah, claims I'm sure he didn't just drop it.

Anyway, I've seen some strong winds that I could believe would knock over a bike. But It's not like you don't seem them coming. It's always during a thunder storm when the trees are bending halfway to the ground. I don't think you're gonna get a big wind gust on a clear day that will put it down.

Quote:
Originally posted by sidewaysducati
SWIPE THE CARD GRANDMA!!!
SWIPE THE GODDAMNED CARD!!!!
WARNING
If you are reading this then this warning is for you. Every word you read of this useless fine print is another second off your life. Don't you have other things to do? Is your life so empty that you honestly can't think of a better way to spend these moments? Or are you so impressed with authority that you give respect and credence to all who claim it? Do you read everything you're supposed to read? Do you think everything you're supposed to think? Buy what you're told you should want? Get out of your apartment. Meet a member of the opposite sex. Stop the excessive shopping and masturbation. Quit your job. Start a fight. Prove you're alive. If you don't claim your humanity you will become a statistic. You have been warned...... Tyler
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-02-2004, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Tippmann
Yeah, claims I'm sure he didn't just drop it.

Anyway, I've seen some strong winds that I could believe would knock over a bike. But It's not like you don't seem them coming. It's always during a thunder storm when the trees are bending halfway to the ground. I don't think you're gonna get a big wind gust on a clear day that will put it down.
ohh yeah this dude is weak too....so i think its a BS story also

but this same guy showed me a speeding ticket he got for 200mph in a 65 zone...thats on a 954rr with all kinds of mods...i think he fudged that ticket too
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-03-2004, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Wally
Yea I don't think I've ever heard of it happening. Maybe in some strange case somewhere, but its not something you really need to worry about. I was worried about the same thing with my first bike.
I happened to me with a BMW tourer on the center stand, that tourer has a really big fairing hence a lot to catch the wind, and the center stand was in soft ground so when the wind blew one side sank and over it went. I also saw a BMW SportTourer blow over off the side stand, but it was sitting a little too upright, that was in the FLA sand and the put the sidestand on a tree root leaving the bike standing too straight up, we were standing there talking and suddenly heard a crash, no one was within 25 feet of the bike. I don't think there is much to worry about with a sportbike on a side stand unless you park it in a wierd place and it is almost straight up.

James.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-03-2004, 10:44 AM

This has happened to me also. My FZR was blown over (in the direction away from the kickstand) and and fell into my roomates Ninja, which also ended up on the ground.....not cool . Sorry, this was a few years ago and I really don't what the wind speeds were that night.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-04-2004, 09:53 PM

This has also happened to me, but it was in my first few months and definately my own fault. I parked on a curved surface street with my bike pointed in the proper direction of travel. Still angled towards the centre of the street, but also angled in the regular direction of travel.

If you can visualize that, you understand that it made the bike stand far too upright to deal with any wind draft pushing opposite the sidestand. Anyway, it blew over and rashed the fairing pretty nice. Now i always park against the direction of travel, just means a sharp turn coming out of the parking spot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode