Rain - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-01-2004, 09:41 PM Thread Starter

Post Rain

Getting a bike soon, going to be my daily driver, no matter the weather. Any advice or suggestions or comments on riding in the rain or other nasty weather? I'll be riding about 20 miles a day.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-01-2004, 10:08 PM

GEAR
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-02-2004, 07:09 AM

Send a message via AIM to Tippmann Send a message via Yahoo to Tippmann
The roads are always the worst right after it starts to rain.

Take it very easy around turns.

Stay off the painted lines.

Get some rain gear.

Quote:
Originally posted by sidewaysducati
SWIPE THE CARD GRANDMA!!!
SWIPE THE GODDAMNED CARD!!!!
WARNING
If you are reading this then this warning is for you. Every word you read of this useless fine print is another second off your life. Don't you have other things to do? Is your life so empty that you honestly can't think of a better way to spend these moments? Or are you so impressed with authority that you give respect and credence to all who claim it? Do you read everything you're supposed to read? Do you think everything you're supposed to think? Buy what you're told you should want? Get out of your apartment. Meet a member of the opposite sex. Stop the excessive shopping and masturbation. Quit your job. Start a fight. Prove you're alive. If you don't claim your humanity you will become a statistic. You have been warned...... Tyler

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-02-2004, 08:01 AM

Yes, wait a while if it just started raining.

Also be careful at intersections where oil drips from cars waiting at the lights. Especially the center of the lane.

Make sure tires have tread left.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-02-2004, 08:25 AM

good tires, good gear and GOOD INSTRUCTION (MSF course). I hate getting caught in the rain, but it happens from time to time. You have to be MUCH smoother with your inputs (braking, turning and throttle control) I did a trackday in the drizzle once...believe it or not I learned alot more about smoothness that day than any other!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-02-2004, 09:00 AM

Along with the above good suggestions, keep your visor clean as new with proper products like Pluxus, most plastic protectant to even normal Pledge & use a CLEAN cotten cloth, not paper towel. Come rain or not each time I come home my visor is cleaned with Pledge, yet under the seat I carry a container of Slipstreamer or some other plastic propellent AND a clean cotten cloth so I can remove the bugs during a dry day of riding.

Latter can be made out of any old T-shirts for your interest. Advantage is as the rain hits you can roll your head to left or right once clocking around 40 to 50mph & good percentage will roll off.

Slow down your pace for you are on only two wheels, do not ride as close to vehciels in front of you when pavement is dry, remember some times the brakes do not work as well & banking is limited.

If following behind cages then pick a low slung cage rather then a van, SUV, truck let alone 18 wheeler.

Personally I hate rain.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-06-2004, 07:58 PM

Good Evening All-

I'll "second" the vote for wax or Rain-X on your faceshield and windscreen. Water, mist, bugs, and everything else finds it difficult to grip the slick surface. Unlike a car, you won't get wear from any windshield wipers and the treatment will last a very long time.

~ Blue Jays ~
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-08-2004, 04:36 PM

Just a 5 hr run to-day on the hwys with the Honda 929. Problem is four hours were with light to heavy rains to even hail & rain plus hail came down so hard I had to aim into the wash from the two sides of the road rather then entering it without changing a bit of direction.

By that I mean the wash to the maze of hail was so deep that it was like coming onto a railway line at an ANGLE instead of aiming to hit it dead on. An old thing I learned from living in the cities with railway lines & street car lines all over the place in my younger yrs.

Max speed limits of the roads were 100KPH (60mph), 90KPH--55mph & 80KPH--50mph. So I was clocking 90 to 140KPH with latter being 85mph.

Thankfully my visor had been waxed from last ride with Pledge & at turn-around point with Slip-Streamer so the rain & road shit rolled off as I turned my head left to right.

I did & did not go by the little voice inside of me & instead of briefs I put on a single thickness in cotton drawers so that along with Joe Rocket Ballistic pants kept me warm & dry along with proper socks & Danier 'Fort Lewis' boots, while the warmer long sleeve cotton jersy under a light sweat shirt & JR 'Tahoe' jacket, with no liner, did a pretty good job---with thanks to a small bathroom towel around the neck, but it did leak in a bit at the front of the shoulders were a seam is, but not enough to bother me & only noted it once I was peeling off the above at home to go into my usual sweats & sweatshirt.

It told me to wear the Frank Thomas AQUA gloves, but I went for the $200+ JR ones & so a bit damp, only on the top of the gloves, but only damp as I said & so not cold or miserable.

It was NOT a fun ride though it did get me to realizing I can still ride the wet stuff at a decent pace. Also I would wait my time & stay well behind the cages, with lot of extra safe zone space for the rain, ahead then go by them like stink & so pick up very little of the crap they were spitting up.

Possibly the above will be on interest to a few that are new to riding & wondering what to do when it comes to rain & on the hwys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode