Chain noises....help - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-01-2004, 04:05 PM Thread Starter

Chain noises....help

I have a 01 f4i and at approximatly 10k miles I changed the chain and sprockets because the chain was loud and when you rolled the rear wheel around on the swingarm stand there were hard and easy spots. It is my understanding that this is caused by a stretched chain.

Anyway, so new chain and sproket......rides like a dream and is very quite for like a week. I checked it and tightened it and it was fine again for a few days. Then it started getting louder so I oiled it using a liquid chain wax which helped for a bit but it got loud again. I checked and the wheel is aligned properly and the tension seems to be right inline with the recomended 1" of play.

Any ideas why it is loud?? Would the bolt on the front sprocket come loose and it is sliding around?? I rode 200 miles today so I have pretty much ruled out that it is going to go away.

I think I will try loosening it up next and see if that helps. Any advice / experences would be appreciated.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-01-2004, 04:22 PM

Did you replace both front & rear sprockets? Did you stay with stock size sprockets & chain? I would also check the 1" of play spec. My R6 recommended play is 1.5" - 1.96". If the chain is too tight you might hear some noise.
If you did a conversion to a different sprocket size like 530 down to 525 or 520 then it would be important to be sure the front sprocket was mounted properly so the off set is aligning the front to the rear sprocket.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-01-2004, 04:43 PM Thread Starter

Yes I did replace both sprockets and the chain. I will look into the 1" spec. Tomarrow I'm going to loosen it up and see what that does. Can it hurt anything running a little loose even if the spec turns out to be 1"?

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-01-2004, 04:56 PM

Have a hunch you have it to tight a fit on the two sprockets & the chain is suffering. So when going to adjust the chain look for the tightest spot & adjust it THERE & not the slackest spot in the chain.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-01-2004, 05:12 PM Thread Starter

Yes it was too tight. Thx for the help guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode