One squid to give the rest of us a bad name... - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-30-2004, 11:35 PM Thread Starter

One squid to give the rest of us a bad name...

So its me the lurker from Wisco... so with the beautiful weather we've been having there have been sportbikes out everywhere and now so are the police.

Just a couple of weeks ago-- I don't even know if it was even that long ago... some total squid (from the details I heard-- no helmet, no leathers, no anything)... decides he need to be cool and pull a wheelie in front of a local hangout...and flips himself and his pretty new bike over... Unfortunately and may he rest in peace, he died, from head injuries and such. Now instead of the police tailing the "racers"-- whether they be rice or not-- they're focusing on motorcyclists. *sigh* So its just another mark for the opposing side of riding a motorcycle.

The sad part is that even though this tragedy happened in front of tons of people... I was out on Wednesday and still saw SQUIDS in their shorts and sunglasses with their backwards baseball caps. *sigh* However-- this season, I've noticed more sportbikers in leathers and helmets-- which is MUCH more Sexy then road rash!!!

This is just my reminder to everyone to not be a squid. Its like when that one kid did something wrong in class and the whole class got punished. Highway will never be the same for us who love to ride because they're going to be a lot less sympathetic to us now. Sigh... stay safe everyone!!! And hopefully someone will buy me a sportbike of my own for my birthday in two weeks! heh.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-01-2004, 12:35 AM
Dad

I certainly hear you but lest you go on lamenting, let me assure you this is nothing new. It is also the reason myself and so many other of the older riders are always harping on wearing the gear while we know that many take it as just "Dad" bitching again.

I've been watching it for 35 years and in my younger days even participated in some squidliness a little bit. Fortunately for me and for some unknown reason, I ALWAYS wore jacket, helmet, boots, and gloves. As a result, my 7 or 8 spills that count, all in my first few years, left me without so much as a scar to show for it. That is lucky in itself even with gear, but I probably wouldn't be posting right now if it hadn't been for the helmet I had on in one of those spills. It was one of the slower ones, about 35 MPH, but wound up hitting and sliding hard on the left side of the helmet to the point that it was ground almost through. Walked away unscathed, slightly bruised, but good to go. I wore the gear originally because it seemed like a good idea. After a few spills, I knew it was and as a result, don't even ride the block to the store without it.

It's never easy to dismiss an injured rider's pain or death, especially when it's so often totally preventable with decent gear. If they only knew. I'm just suggesting that it's not a new thing, although the overpowered bikes in the hands of inexperienced riders isn't helping. Just carry on, keeping your brain engaged. That's no guarantee but good sense and good gear improves your odds tremendously.

Keeping the "Hap" in "Happy Holidays"!

Regime change begins at home.

Blind patriotism is worse than no patriotism.

Last edited by Dad; 05-01-2004 at 12:38 AM.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-01-2004, 10:15 PM

I think they do know. How can they not? I think they choose not to, becuase the have that attituded that will not happen to me.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-02-2004, 10:10 AM

Doesn't Darwin have a theory about this?
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-06-2004, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by slaintedan
Doesn't Darwin have a theory about this?
Actually I think it's Murphy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode