Is the '04 Yamaha R1 in trouble? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-27-2004, 01:33 PM Thread Starter

Is the '04 Yamaha R1 in trouble?

I am sure most of you have read the bit about the R-1 that failed after 10 miles & how a bulletin has been sent out to the dealers to have the engine broken in at the shop which sets one to thinking.

Still below is a bit I picked up from another board & of interest.

"Well... the saga seems to continue. At our track day yesterday, we chatted with a fellow racer who is also a sales manager at a local Yamaha dealer. He had an '04 R1 with a fresh race motor in it and he was breaking it in. It only had 8 miles and dropped a valve.

He wasn't too worried because he knew his motor guy would rectify the problem, but went on to say that they have had 3 new R1's come into the dealership and have the same problem... all three had VERY low miles on them and had valve train problems... which resulted in larger motor problems.

Buyer beware, that's all."

Still makes things rather interesting & wondering how many are with '04 R1s & wondering what that strange sound is & wheeling the bike in to the Yamaha shop demanding IMMEDIATE attention.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-27-2004, 03:30 PM

Send a message via AIM to Tippmann Send a message via Yahoo to Tippmann
I hadn't heard about this until now. I hope there's nothing major wrong with the bike. Either way, you know this is going to be a black eye for yamaha

Quote:
Originally posted by sidewaysducati
SWIPE THE CARD GRANDMA!!!
SWIPE THE GODDAMNED CARD!!!!
WARNING
If you are reading this then this warning is for you. Every word you read of this useless fine print is another second off your life. Don't you have other things to do? Is your life so empty that you honestly can't think of a better way to spend these moments? Or are you so impressed with authority that you give respect and credence to all who claim it? Do you read everything you're supposed to read? Do you think everything you're supposed to think? Buy what you're told you should want? Get out of your apartment. Meet a member of the opposite sex. Stop the excessive shopping and masturbation. Quit your job. Start a fight. Prove you're alive. If you don't claim your humanity you will become a statistic. You have been warned...... Tyler
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-27-2004, 04:47 PM

that bike is ugly as hell anyway...

but seriously, the honda's look okay w/ the pipe under the tail, but i think the new R1 design is a disaster...and i like the way previous R1's looked

it's just ugly...

I can't imagine droppin 10k on a bike that breaks in less than 10 miles! talk about some seriously pissed off customers

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-27-2004, 05:14 PM
UFO

Quote:
Originally posted by FMAN_DTF
but i think the new R1 design is a disaster...and i like the way previous R1's looked

it's just ugly...

I do believe you are the voice of a very tiny minority.

The jury is still out on this one, IMO. A race engine going TU is different than a production engine, so that data point is useless. And most other R1 owners seem happy.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-27-2004, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by FMAN_DTF
that bike is ugly as hell anyway...

but seriously, the honda's look okay w/ the pipe under the tail, but i think the new R1 design is a disaster...and i like the way previous R1's looked

it's just ugly...

Are you kidding LMAO. Man I saw the new 04 R1 in person and rode with the guy for about 25 miles or so. That bike is freggin hot. The single under tail exhust on the honda's is not to my likeing at all.

I hope they get there engine thing sorted out. I have also heard something about the engine mounts coming out or something. Its such a nice bike though.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-28-2004, 05:04 AM
S370HSSV 0773H

Send a message via Yahoo to spicersh
I haven't seen anything but pictures of the 04's and they look good, but I thought the same of the 03's when I saw pictures. When I saw an 03 R1 in person it looked like shit. It just looked cheap to me. I hope the 04's aren't in the same boat.

Good thing I'm not ready to buy a new bike just yet, as I have been looking at the R's.....probably end up looking more at the 6's though. I'd have been pissed if I got a new R1 and it crapped out on me with under double-digit miles. I guess I'd deserve it for not getting another Honda......

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all of fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomanical, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully. - Richard Dawkins, The God Delusion
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-28-2004, 05:46 AM

i hear about the 04 R1 engines failing also on the production bikes
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-28-2004, 12:57 PM

I heard, and keep in mind it's "HEAR SAY", that there was a recall but did not hear for what reason, something about shipping bike's to one place and corresponding title's to another! Sounded like bull, but then my friend who put his money down at strictly a YAMAHA dealership in february is still waitin' for a bike, IT'S FREAKIN' MAY IN A WEEK FOR GOD SAKE'S !! So maybe there is some validity in that statement, and keepin' it on the D.L. That isn't something you want to get around, engine trouble like that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode