Motorcycle shop troubles - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-27-2004, 05:36 AM Thread Starter

Motorcycle shop troubles

I just purchased a used bike for my wife. I have not really done all that much work on bikes yet, but I will admit that I have worked a ton on cars. Just the same, I decided that I would bring her bike into the shop and get a baseline tune-up and maintainance. Since I'm green to this bike as well, I figure I'll get them to move it to prime running shape, and then I'll take it from there. In case you hadn't read anywhere earlier from me, my wife's bike is a Honda Shadow Spirit 1100.

So...I decided to call the closest dealer, who happens to be a Honda dealer and spoke to the service guy who I have worked with in the past (we bought our Honda Rebel there as well). He said he could get it in and out in a day or at worst two. I followed my wife out to the dealer around mid-day in the cage.

Upon arrival we passed through the small showroom to get to service. We passed the sales manager who sold me the Honda Rebel I owned previously. He appeared distracted and didn't even say hello. I was not phased by that initially. We went into the service area and it appeared no one was there. My wife asked me to check out what was going on in the showroom to see if we could get some help. At the parts counter someone was being waited on by a different sales guy. I waited behind that customer to request help. After a few minutes I see the manager get up and charge through the showroom towards the service area. I think if I remember he looked aggitated, but he always looks that way.

A minute later my wife comes out of the service area and motions for me to come to the service area, and since the parts guy is still busy, I ablige. Once in the service area my wife is sort of angry. She informs me the manager came in and announced "to the air" that no one is here and they won't be back until 2:00 (it was now around 1:00). There was a long pause and he said " Where is it, I'll write it up" and without waiting for an answer, he went outside to where the bike was. He didn't wait for her, so here we stand in service alone again. We proceed outside and want to know what the problem is and if we should take the bike somewhere else for service - he says " Maybe that is a good idea." and starts walking away. I yell at him " Hey man, this isn't cool. I'm bringing you business and I bought a bike from you and this is the way you treat me?" His response was I was the one who went off on him. I think even if that was true (I don't think anyone went off on him), why woundn't he at least try work this out? Even if my wife had done something insane like start yelling at him for no reason, why wouldn't he explain that to me?

Anyway, we have to wait a few days or up to week to get the bike in anywhere else, so that is a drag, but I can't see bringing it to them after that incident. I hate to lose the service guy we like, but he is the General Manager and I see that he doesn't care. I guess I just wanted to vent to my friends here. We were going to compain to the owner, but the only address we have from him is at the store. I'm sure manager would intercept anything to the store. I have noticed that sometimes motorcycle shops seem to be indifferent to the loss of customers. That reallys seems odd to me.

Edited to remove names - I was a little to angry when I wrote the post.

Last edited by scanevalexec; 04-27-2004 at 03:51 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-27-2004, 05:42 AM
S370HSSV 0773H

Send a message via Yahoo to spicersh
Most dealerships I've dealt with seemed nice only because I proved to them over and over that my money was in fact green. I would say I never have found one that I though actually gave a shit about service or building relationships with customers. From Indiana to California to Puerto Rico, almost all of the dealerships I've dealt with have turned out to be worthless.

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all of fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomanical, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully. - Richard Dawkins, The God Delusion
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-27-2004, 06:03 AM

Send a message via AIM to Tippmann Send a message via Yahoo to Tippmann
I worked in a bike shop for 2 years and really got to know everyone. That is the ONLY shop i will take my shit to. Mainly it's because I am friends with the owners, and the mechanics, but I also know they do good work and take care of the bikes. But I have also seen times when I worked there when it was so hectic behind the counter that I forgot to wait on people, unplugged the phone, or seemed to be ignoring someone.

Even the best and most caring places have their bad days. I don't know what your shop is usually like, but it could have just been one of those days.

Quote:
Originally posted by sidewaysducati
SWIPE THE CARD GRANDMA!!!
SWIPE THE GODDAMNED CARD!!!!
WARNING
If you are reading this then this warning is for you. Every word you read of this useless fine print is another second off your life. Don't you have other things to do? Is your life so empty that you honestly can't think of a better way to spend these moments? Or are you so impressed with authority that you give respect and credence to all who claim it? Do you read everything you're supposed to read? Do you think everything you're supposed to think? Buy what you're told you should want? Get out of your apartment. Meet a member of the opposite sex. Stop the excessive shopping and masturbation. Quit your job. Start a fight. Prove you're alive. If you don't claim your humanity you will become a statistic. You have been warned...... Tyler

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-27-2004, 08:45 AM
Strength and Honor

Quote:
Originally posted by Tippmann
I worked in a bike shop for 2 years and really got to know everyone. That is the ONLY shop i will take my shit to. Mainly it's because I am friends with the owners, and the mechanics, but I also know they do good work and take care of the bikes. But I have also seen times when I worked there when it was so hectic behind the counter that I forgot to wait on people, unplugged the phone, or seemed to be ignoring someone.

Even the best and most caring places have their bad days. I don't know what your shop is usually like, but it could have just been one of those days.
Perhaps that was the case, but no quality establishment ever has an excuse to rant to a customer about their behavior. That's a total lack of business principles, IMHO.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-27-2004, 10:46 AM

go elsewhwere...everyone services Hondas, don't they?
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-27-2004, 11:26 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by RSVRick
go elsewhwere...everyone services Hondas, don't they?
Yeah this is true, and I will. Really just wondering what you all thought. It is already a forgone conclusion after that I will go elsewhere. But they were the closest and I like the tech I was working with there. I shouldn't have to choose a different dealer because the manager can't deal with humans.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-27-2004, 11:31 AM
S370HSSV 0773H

Send a message via Yahoo to spicersh
Quote:
Originally posted by scanevalexec
I shouldn't have to choose a different dealer because the manager can't deal with humans.
Unfortunately it seems that anymore there is no such thing as customer service, regardless of the industry. I can't really think of any recent purchases of anything that I felt the merchant went above and beyond the call of duty. Hell I'd be happy if they even did the job they were supposed to do in the first place!

Customer service is for the most part a thing of the past.

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all of fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomanical, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully. - Richard Dawkins, The God Delusion
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-27-2004, 11:34 AM

I was gonna suggest you go over his head and talk to the owner of the shop, but you don't really want a disgruntled employee working on your bike! If you are going elsewhere anyway, then do it...tell the owner what a dick this guy was to you.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-27-2004, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by spicersh
Unfortunately it seems that anymore there is no such thing as customer service, regardless of the industry. I can't really think of any recent purchases of anything that I felt the merchant went above and beyond the call of duty. Hell I'd be happy if they even did the job they were supposed to do in the first place!

Customer service is for the most part a thing of the past.
The other day I stopped by a dealership that was on my way to work. I was on my wife's bike, it was about 7:30am, and the only one there was the owner. I basically stopped by to inquire about an inspection. The owner was in the middle of waxing his truck. He says "I'll do it for you now" not only did he do it, he didn't charge me! I thought that was pretty cool. I'll go back there just because of that...a little customer service goes a long way!
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-27-2004, 11:54 AM

If for some reason or another someone in a shop takes a dislike to me, then it is time for me to move on to another shop even if there are not a lot of m/c shops in my area.

I have a Yamaha shop pretty close to me, but take my Yamaha to a shop some distance away.

Now I like the chaps at the Honda shop only it is a bummer to get to due to traffic right through a city. As the head mechanic at the Yamaha shop (this being the one farther away as mentioned above) ALSO was a head mechanic at another Yamaha/Honda shop well I tend to go to there on some occassions.

BOTH shops know I am a cash paying person, ex shop manager/owner & by my riding gear from one or the other & never try to get them down on costs.

Last thing I would want is a manager or mechanic of a shop that takes a dislike to me especially if their shop was to work on my bike.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode