Manual Trans Car relating to Bike? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-22-2004, 12:54 PM Thread Starter

Manual Trans Car relating to Bike?

Do you guys think that it is easier to learn the shifting and friction zone of a bike, if you already know how to drive a manual trans car?

I took my MSF 4 day course last year...when I took the course, I didn't know how to drive a manual transmission car yet, only automatic. The first day on the bikes, I stalled the bike a whole bunch of times, it was because I started letting the clutch out slowly and rolling on the throttle, and right as I felt the bike start moving, I would just let the clutch out completely and it would stall.

This is the same problem I had (and I think it's the most common problem) when I was learning how to drive a stick shift car. I would have it in 1st gear, let the clutch out slowly and push on the gas pedal slowly, and right as I felt the car moving I would take my foot off the clutch completely and it would stall.

Well, that was last year, I know how to drive a manual trans car just fine now, I've had stick shift car for about 8 months or so, so I've been driving it for 8 months.

Do you guys think if I took the MSF riding portion of the course again I would do a lot better as far as shifting the bike goes, since I know how to drive a manual trans car?

I know they are 2 different things...(bike, and car) but as far as the concept of shifting goes, they aren't much different. This is just like hockey. I played roller hockey for 8 years. So I had 8 years experience on rollerblades. I started playing ice hockey about 2 years ago...the very first time I put ice skates on and was skating around the rink, I did really well and I think it's because I already had a lot of experience doing rollerblading which is the same concept as ice skating as far as how you take off from a stop and how you push your legs out and move your arms and all that.

This thread is wayy too long, I just realized that. Sorry guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-22-2004, 01:03 PM

totally different

You use the clutch on a bike with ur hand not ur foot.. Same for the gas. Get a bike and do some practicing... Bike is much more jumpier than a car..
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-22-2004, 01:20 PM

you probably will do better & retaking the MSF course is a good idea

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-22-2004, 01:39 PM

car is harder then a bike i find...but both are easy like cutting butter....mauals are more fun in a car because you can throw her in reverse build up some speed and then cut the wheel throw her in 1st and light em up like james bond would
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-22-2004, 01:46 PM Thread Starter

Re: totally different

Quote:
Originally posted by docta_freeze
You use the clutch on a bike with ur hand not ur foot.. Same for the gas.
Yea, I already know this
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-22-2004, 06:37 PM

Re: totally different

Quote:
Originally posted by docta_freeze
You use the clutch on a bike with ur hand not ur foot.. Same for the gas.
This is true. But if you understand what to do with a cars clutch you will understand what to do with a bike clutch. I rode a bike long before i ever got into a car. And I learned how to drive a car on a manual Tranny. Did not take me long at all.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-23-2004, 10:50 AM

yep i had already owned a manual car before my bike so learning was so much faster than those i've seen learning to ride w/o ever driving a manual car. i would definitely say that knowing how to drive stick helps in the learning to ride process. even though hand and foot processes are switched on a bike, the principle and technique remain the same.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-23-2004, 11:26 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by 93FZR1000
yep i had already owned a manual car before my bike so learning was so much faster than those i've seen learning to ride w/o ever driving a manual car. i would definitely say that knowing how to drive stick helps in the learning to ride process. even though hand and foot processes are switched on a bike, the principle and technique remain the same.
My point exactly. I feel the same way, that's why I'm curious as to how much better I would do if I took the course again now that I know how to drive a stick.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-23-2004, 11:34 AM
S370HSSV 0773H

Send a message via Yahoo to spicersh
Quote:
Originally posted by Big Dan 35
My point exactly. I feel the same way, that's why I'm curious as to how much better I would do if I took the course again now that I know how to drive a stick.
The course will make you better period, regardless of your knowledge prior to taking it.

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all of fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomanical, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully. - Richard Dawkins, The God Delusion
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-23-2004, 02:39 PM

I actually find it much easier to learn how to manually shift on a bike, rather than a car. For one thing, you have enough limbs to cover all the controls without having to remove a foot or hand and operate something else. Also, I find the cluth usage on a bike to be far more user friendly, because motor-control of your hands is a bit easier than with feet, so you have more control. Well, that's my opinion anyway.

--Scott
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode