ouch! I crashed. Is my motorcycle totalled? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-19-2004, 06:11 PM Thread Starter

ouch! I crashed. Is my motorcycle totalled?

Last night I was driving my bike in a border town in Mexico (Reynosa). An idiot, apparently without eyes, pulled out right in front of me. I had no choice but to crash. I was able to slide sideways into her 2004 land rover, rather than hit it head on with the front tire. I ended up doing a pretty good bit of damage to her precious SUV. At any rate, I feel lucky to be alive. I found myself in the oncoming lane, laying there.. and barely able to move. My ribs hurt big time... so does my leg that hit this damn truck. I figure I was going something like 30-40 mph.. not really sure. Went to the doc... amazingly I didn't have any broken ribs.. and my knees were OK too (they hurt big time).

At any rate, I wouldn't mind knowing if this thing is going to be considered 'totalled' by her insurance company. Here are the stats:

93 Honda CBR F2
20,000 miles

* Leaky, dented up tank
* All the plastic on the right side and the front is wasted
* Gauge panel is destroyed
* One plastic panel on the left side (upper rear by the seat) is broken.
* Large plastic panel on right side is scratched up.
* Front brake lever: gone
* Rear brake pedal: bent like warm taffy
* when turning the key, I have electric power, but the starter doesn't move (not exactly sure what the underlying problem is.. could be big.. could be small)
* the rear fender (or whatever the big ugle thing is that houses the brake light and license plate) is destroyed.

That about covers it. How much *was* this bike worth before the accident, and how much do you think its worth now? Is it totalled?

Thanks guys.. and drive safe.
out
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-19-2004, 06:16 PM

i would prob say around the 3000 mark. i'm not a dealer or anything, but i think that around blue book. i would say less than a grand right now in the condition that its in, being you said you can't even start it.... prob not anything too major though. my best guess is that they are gonna total it, but like i said... i'm not a pro or do this stuff all day. just unfortunatly know how expensive it can be to repair broke bikes .. =(
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-19-2004, 06:17 PM

Send a message via AIM to Chris Sedition Send a message via Yahoo to Chris Sedition
as for your question, i don't have a clue.
however, i'm glad to hear that your more-or-less alright.

SUV's suck,
-chr|s sedition

LISTEN TO SLAYER
AIM: chR1s sedition
Yahoo: CSedition

2003 R1 (black / red / hell-fire)

"All black, no bling"

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-19-2004, 06:22 PM

Well glad to hear you were able to get away from it without any serious injuries.

F2's are worth about $2500 these days in top condition so I think there's a good chance the insurance company will total it. The plastics alone are absurdly expensive and could almost take the value of the bike there if they replace them all. Once you start adding everything else on you'll beat the value of the bike in no time.

Sorry to hear about your loss man, I hope they give you a good price for it or hey maybe even fix it up all nice again.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-19-2004, 07:45 PM

Send a message via AIM to Tippmann Send a message via Yahoo to Tippmann
If it was a new bike, i would say that it wouldn't be totalled. But since it is an F2, I bet they will scrap it. Glad you're alive.

Quote:
Originally posted by sidewaysducati
SWIPE THE CARD GRANDMA!!!
SWIPE THE GODDAMNED CARD!!!!
WARNING
If you are reading this then this warning is for you. Every word you read of this useless fine print is another second off your life. Don't you have other things to do? Is your life so empty that you honestly can't think of a better way to spend these moments? Or are you so impressed with authority that you give respect and credence to all who claim it? Do you read everything you're supposed to read? Do you think everything you're supposed to think? Buy what you're told you should want? Get out of your apartment. Meet a member of the opposite sex. Stop the excessive shopping and masturbation. Quit your job. Start a fight. Prove you're alive. If you don't claim your humanity you will become a statistic. You have been warned...... Tyler
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-19-2004, 08:44 PM

If you have insurance on it then you will obtain a bit, for the bike will be probably totalled. To obtain plastics, fuel tank, & so much more will take a lot of searching & from m/c junk yards will probably cost you around 2 grand. The petrol tank will be the costly one.

Fortunately you are okay though banged up. Let us know how things go.

Laying a bike down (if that is my understanding) is only if you are riding a dirt bike & on dirt for it will have a chance of digging in. When on pavement you are much better in stopping in applying the brakes. I am not kidding on this one ONLY you have to be right on the bitt.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-20-2004, 04:23 AM
Strength and Honor

Glad to hear you're ok, and sorry for your loss

That must have been some roadtrip you were on, coming from Minnesota!
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-20-2004, 05:00 AM

I'm glad you are O.K.!! Man that sucks! You gotta trust no one when you're riding. I've always thought you should stand up on the pegs and try to superman over the vehicle. I hit a lady under the same circumstances (long time ago). I was on a dirt bike and she was driving a boat car. I actually picked my spot before I hit her rear quarter panel. I was up to about 30 when she looked right at me and pulled out. Anyway.... Bent the forks and dented the gas tank. I was still able to ride away. I was O.K. except for sore knees and wrists.

Hate to say it but the bike is prolly totaled.

A few ccs short of a full litre.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-20-2004, 07:06 AM

yup they ussually total out things like that
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-20-2004, 09:39 AM

I am sorry to hear about the bike, but glad to hear you are okay!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode