How do YOU ride? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-18-2004, 09:06 AM Thread Starter

Question How do YOU ride?

When I'm out riding, I see all kinds of people on bikes. I've found there to be roughly three categories in which every biker differs...Appearance (full gear, some gear, no gear), Attitude (friendly, apathetic, rude, etc) and Technique (how you ride).

I thought it would be interesting to see how we assess ourselves. I'll go first :

Appearance: Perforated leather jacket with full padding, full-face helmet, riding boots (cover shins), and my one fault...jeans. That last part is what keeps me from making any long, or even remotely fast trips. Got some textile pants on order though.

Attitude: I wave or nod at ALL riders. Nothing but good responses so far. I'm also pretty courteous when it comes to cagers...partly out of sincerity, partly out of caution Despite that last emoticon, I have yet to flip off anyone while riding.

Technique: I ride pretty conservatively..."cruising" would probably be the best word. I've never lane-splitted, never wheelied, never stoppied. I usually stay right around the speed limit in traffic.....a little under if no one is behind me, so I can just relax.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-18-2004, 10:53 AM
UFO

I'll go...

Appearance: Depends on the weather and where I'm riding. Daily helmet Signet/GT, touring helmet Nolan flip face. If it's cold/cool/damp JR Ballistic jacket/pants, warm gloves, electric vest. If it's warm, JR Phoenix jacket, jeans or HJC leather pants. Riding fast or long tour: HJC leather jacket and pants, Teknic gloves. Always Alpinestar boots.

I have a bunch of gear, so what I wear depends on the ride and conditions.

Attitude: I used to wave at everyone, but I've found the new generation of riders don't seem to get it. So I wave only if waved to. I respect cagers. I do everything I can to be a courteous rider...I don't believe in making enemies by riding like a fool around 4000 lb vehicles. But this never means I trust anyone in a cage when on a bike.

Technique: I don't stunt, only normal wheelies caused by the bike, not by me. I spend too much of my own money on my shit to potentially wad it. I never ride the speed limit unless I know a Leo is lurking, but only ride really fast in remote areas, with few cars. I don't drag knees, but I don't have chicken strips either. I never troll the boulevards in town...ever. Trolling around town on a high powered sportbike/sport-touring bike is a waste of time, money, and potential...get a cruiser or scooter.

My idea of a "ride" isn't riding 20 miles to meet the posse at a Hooters. It's leaving at 8:00 AM, getting home in time for lunch, and covering 250 miles....minimum. Although time constraints sometimes limit me to a 20-50 jaunt on some local backroads after work.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-18-2004, 01:43 PM

Send a message via AIM to Tippmann Send a message via Yahoo to Tippmann
I always wear a jacket, boots, gloves, and a full helmet. And when i say always, i mean always

I'm a nice guy. I wave to all bikers, but do get pissed when they don't wave back. But usually by then they are too far away to flick off.

I do flick off cagers sometimes, and even got into a confrontation with one once(bad idea).

Sometimes I lane split, and I wheelie sometimes when there is no one around. When i ride i stay about 5mph over the limit because i live in fear of another ticket.

I also pick up curb monkies around campus.

Quote:
Originally posted by sidewaysducati
SWIPE THE CARD GRANDMA!!!
SWIPE THE GODDAMNED CARD!!!!
WARNING
If you are reading this then this warning is for you. Every word you read of this useless fine print is another second off your life. Don't you have other things to do? Is your life so empty that you honestly can't think of a better way to spend these moments? Or are you so impressed with authority that you give respect and credence to all who claim it? Do you read everything you're supposed to read? Do you think everything you're supposed to think? Buy what you're told you should want? Get out of your apartment. Meet a member of the opposite sex. Stop the excessive shopping and masturbation. Quit your job. Start a fight. Prove you're alive. If you don't claim your humanity you will become a statistic. You have been warned...... Tyler

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-18-2004, 02:35 PM

Talking

my turn...

Appearance: Always jacket, jump boots, & helmet. I ride for transportation (no cage) so I always have my rain suit with me. Long trips (25 miles or more one way) same as above with the addition of leather pants and glovesÖ Same thru all weather since it does not change much hear except for rain during which I wear all of the above under the rain suit.

Attitude: I wave at everyone on two wheels. I get them back from the cycle cops, most sportbikes, and most H-Dís. I know most of the H-D riders around here cause Iíve towed them at least once back when I did that kind of work and I ride with a few. I give cages a wide berth most of the time due to the amount of senior citizens that live and drive in the area and the fact that most drivers out there just donít care what or who they hit or cut-off (My Mom nearly ran me off the road once!!).

Technique: I donít stunt. I have pulled a wheelie once or twice out of frustration (yes, a 250 can do it!). I have lane splitted a couple of times during a traffic back-up but if anything just to get to the shoulder and scoot up to the beginning of it. I tend to stay within 5-10mph of the speed limit but every once and a while I blip it to move out of a pack of cages. There is a 6mile straight stretch of road around the corner from my house that I have run at redline (OK, so thatís only an indicated 110mph on the 250) at night when there is no traffic.

I'll Sleep when I'm Dead....

Spread the love. Literally.

My hoes are motivated and my teeth are gold plated

Friends help you move...
Real friends help you move bodies!

ďNext time I want to borrow your balls, IíLL ASK!!!!Ē

Last edited by Gottico; 04-18-2004 at 02:37 PM.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-18-2004, 07:54 PM

Gear..full leathers..ect..Unless I'm going around the corner to the store...

Attitude...Hmmm...use to be pretty friendly on the road...I guess now you could say that I'm not so friendly...check my Title..

I also ride like Every cager is Blind...

My technique...in the city, ride evry defensivley, never do stunts.

In the mountians, I step it up a bit, but not enough to drag anything, anymore...I save that for the track..

Old, Slow, but ...Smooth
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-19-2004, 04:14 AM
Strength and Honor

Appearance- Full gear: helmet, jacket, pants, gloves, boots. Pants might not be used for local, 15mi or less rides.

Attitude - I'm still in nirvana. Two-wheelers have still done no wrong by me, and cages get the papal forgiveness for their transgressions. Still friendly as can be, I guess, unless I get hit.

Technique - Most of my riding is where few are: county roads. So, I push a little where the roads are known to be flat and clean. But when the corn's up, its back to paranoid.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-19-2004, 06:07 AM

Send a message via AIM to Tippmann Send a message via Yahoo to Tippmann
I happend to run into a bunch of sportbikers in my area the other day. Which is odd because not alot of ppl ride together around here. Their style was...

Technique - wheelie from red light to red light on each block, Pass on blind turns on the other side of a double yellow.

Style - they all had on tshirts, gloves and shoes. They all also had helmets.

I broke away from that rolling death trap ASAP

Quote:
Originally posted by sidewaysducati
SWIPE THE CARD GRANDMA!!!
SWIPE THE GODDAMNED CARD!!!!
WARNING
If you are reading this then this warning is for you. Every word you read of this useless fine print is another second off your life. Don't you have other things to do? Is your life so empty that you honestly can't think of a better way to spend these moments? Or are you so impressed with authority that you give respect and credence to all who claim it? Do you read everything you're supposed to read? Do you think everything you're supposed to think? Buy what you're told you should want? Get out of your apartment. Meet a member of the opposite sex. Stop the excessive shopping and masturbation. Quit your job. Start a fight. Prove you're alive. If you don't claim your humanity you will become a statistic. You have been warned...... Tyler
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-19-2004, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by kanwisch
....Pants might not be used for local, 15mi or less rides....
Johnny Law kinda frowns on that around here but whatever floats your boat...

I'll Sleep when I'm Dead....

Spread the love. Literally.

My hoes are motivated and my teeth are gold plated

Friends help you move...
Real friends help you move bodies!

ďNext time I want to borrow your balls, IíLL ASK!!!!Ē
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-20-2004, 03:09 PM

Appearance: Helmet and boots all the time. Jacket 99% of the time, trying to teach myself to wear gloves all the time. Pants are reserved for long or fast trips.

Attitude: Wave to everyone on two wheels, unless i am busy or didnt see them in time. I dont really engage in conversations with anyone but sport riders for the most part.

Riding style: that depends. I try to keep it within 10mph of the speed limit, but other times I just dont feel like it (like this morning... 75 at a 55.. thats going to hurt). unless i am on a empty road with full gear on.. in which case i drag everything i dare to.

post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-20-2004, 05:21 PM

Appearance: I always wear my combat boots, full helmet, leather riding gloves, and my JR Phoenix jacket. I usually wear my JR Phoenix riding pants, unless I'm going for a very short ride. If it is cold out I throw my leather jacket over the JR jacket.

Attitude: I wave to all riders. I have not seen any group blatently ignoring this greeting. I assume most riders who don't, didn't see me, were busy, or just generally are not big at being social. After all, not everyone who rides a bike are into being social. Think of all the people who are not friendly generally in life. About Cages - they are all out to get me.

Technique: I like to ride around the twisties and hills near my home. I ride excesively fast in little bursts. No wheelies or stunt stuff, but I like to hear and feel it wind out from time to time. Passing is fun too. Someone going 5 under in a passing zone is like a dream. Otherwise, I mostly just cruise around.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode