Motorcyclists Stick Together - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-17-2004, 04:53 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via Yahoo to DaDuck748
Motorcyclists Stick Together

...is how it should be.

I just got back from a short ride. It was cut REALLY short because as I got off the freeway and hit a stop light, my engine stalled and I couldn't get it started again. All symptoms say that the battery was drained so, here goes another $60.

I was stranded roadside for about half an hour. One guy with a truck pulls over and he says to me, "I think you're out of gas". Umm, no. I just filled up. He didn't know anything about motorcycles but I thanked him for stopping by and off he went.

Another guy stopped by (in a car) and said that he has a few motorcycles in the garage and he knows what I'm going through, or at least can relate. All he could do was offer to use his cell, but I never leave home (at least on my bikes) without it. So, I thanked him and off he went.

About 5 minutes later, an "old fart" (as he referred to himself) stops by on an old Lavender BMW and offers some assistance. I asked if he had jumper cables. Yep, indeed. I asked if he had a 10mm wrench. Yep, he did. 5 minutes of fiddling around and I got my bike revved up and ready to go.

If you monitor this forum/thread, Doug, thanks again and I REALLY appreciate it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-17-2004, 05:10 PM

Send a message via AIM to Tippmann Send a message via Yahoo to Tippmann
Yeah, you were pretty suprised I had all that stuff in my bike. Glad to see you made it home ok.

Quote:
Originally posted by sidewaysducati
SWIPE THE CARD GRANDMA!!!
SWIPE THE GODDAMNED CARD!!!!
WARNING
If you are reading this then this warning is for you. Every word you read of this useless fine print is another second off your life. Don't you have other things to do? Is your life so empty that you honestly can't think of a better way to spend these moments? Or are you so impressed with authority that you give respect and credence to all who claim it? Do you read everything you're supposed to read? Do you think everything you're supposed to think? Buy what you're told you should want? Get out of your apartment. Meet a member of the opposite sex. Stop the excessive shopping and masturbation. Quit your job. Start a fight. Prove you're alive. If you don't claim your humanity you will become a statistic. You have been warned...... Tyler
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-17-2004, 05:29 PM

Send a message via AIM to wantanaprilia
Good to see these threads popping up. Personally, everytime I`ve saw a bike off to the side of the road, I have pulled over and asked if they were alright, and they always are, but atleast I try. I can`t say anyone has ever stopped for me, 'cause I`ve never been stranded *knock on wood*, but I would hope someone would.

Sorta off topic, but you`d think since its finally getting warm out (today it was 79 when I rode passed the banks big sign at like 6:45), the riders would be happy to be out, and be happy to see other bikes out, but I swear for every 5 bikes I throw a wave to, I get maybe 2 in return. Ah well

Look . . . the people you are after are the people you depend on. We cook your meals, we haul your trash, we connect your calls, we drive your ambulances, we guard you while you sleep. Do not fu|< with us.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-17-2004, 08:04 PM

Yeah, A few of us were out riding tonight. One of the members in our club just picked up her new 600rr and we were out for a ride just trying to add some miles on it.

We were riding to one of the usual spots to meet up with some friends when we saw a stranded rider on the other side of the road (on a divided highway.) Our small group rode up to the next exit and headed back down the highway in the opposite direction to see if we could give the guy some help.

By the time we had arrived in the spot were we had saw the rider and his bike he was gone. The bike remained sitting on the road, but the rider had vanished.

I always stop whenever I see another motorcyclist sitting on the side of the road. I think it is just something we (or at least most of us) do. I know if I was stranded on the road I would want and hope someone would stop for me. Doesn't matter to me if it is a sportbike, a cruiser, a hog, whatever... If it is a motocyclist stranded I am stopping.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-17-2004, 10:10 PM

I read through this and decided I would give the local harley guys a second chance and would throw some waves out. (I quit about half way through last summer when at a stop light on a beautiful saturday morning, a guy pulled up next to me and I looked over as he looked my bike up and down and I said "great day for riding", the prick turns his head and looks away. Well apparently nothing has changed....they are still too good to send a friendly wave back. I'll stop and help anybody without a HD emblem....fukkin A holes. Who do they think they are.

For reference this is coming out of minneapolis, mn.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-18-2004, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bridomine99
I read through this and decided I would give the local harley guys a second chance and would throw some waves out. (I quit about half way through last summer when at a stop light on a beautiful saturday morning, a guy pulled up next to me and I looked over as he looked my bike up and down and I said "great day for riding", the prick turns his head and looks away. Well apparently nothing has changed....they are still too good to send a friendly wave back. I'll stop and help anybody without a HD emblem....fukkin A holes. Who do they think they are.

For reference this is coming out of minneapolis, mn.
Still, you shouldn't stereotype. I know a lot of really good folks that ride HDs. It is really the mentality of the rider, not the choice in bikes that make some riders not-so-sociable.

Give each rider a chance. If you wave at them and they don't wave back... Not your loss.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-18-2004, 08:08 AM

However, it does seem that the mentality of the rider greatly influences their choice in bikes.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-18-2004, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by o|||||||o
Still, you shouldn't stereotype. I know a lot of really good folks that ride HDs. It is really the mentality of the rider, not the choice in bikes that make some riders not-so-sociable.

Give each rider a chance. If you wave at them and they don't wave back... Not your loss.
About half the friends I ride with are H-D riders... We all share a little ribbing now and then but it's all in fun. We get some pretty mixed comments when we all show up somewhere... Daytona a couple of years ago was pretty funny...

I'll Sleep when I'm Dead....

Spread the love. Literally.

My hoes are motivated and my teeth are gold plated

Friends help you move...
Real friends help you move bodies!

“Next time I want to borrow your balls, I’LL ASK!!!!”
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-18-2004, 12:35 PM

Yeah.....I agree with everyone. I just have trouble with passing by a group of ten bikes and not one of them waves. This happend 4 or 5 times yesterday. Hence my comments above. This topic has been beaten to death and the fact of the matter is the HD guys are allways on the bad end of it. I think we can pretty much rule out that it has been coincidence that the non wavers are hd guys and gals.

This is almost as bad as the cop that I passed at 8mph heading through the downtown area of a small river town up here and waved to as we passed. We stopped at a light about 50 yards up and the guy pulls up and yells out his window (i was 3 ft away), "put your shields down". ( I had my helmet visor up, again 8mph)

Honestly, are all these guys really that insecure with themselves that they can't quit with the tough guy deal for a few min a day. Saturday night, 70 degrees, no wind, absolutly perfect out......personally I was just happy to be riding my cycle. There are alot of guys and gals in some really shity places around the world defending our freedom that would proably give anything for a night riding. Why don't all you unfriendly riders stick that attitude right up your axses.

Just my

Last edited by bridomine99; 04-18-2004 at 12:45 PM.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-18-2004, 07:57 PM

See...us old farts ain't so bad afterall huh..???

By the way Duc..I can relate to what ya went through, cept I stood on the road for 3.5 hrs...

Old, Slow, but ...Smooth
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode