I hope the topic makes sense. I've got the time so I'll make this LONG and detailed.
I'd love some expert input - I try to help people on the 4.6 Mustang boards all day - now I need some help from you experts. I have a 13 second 96 Mustang but why spend 8 grand more on this car when a $3000 bike would whoop it? I've been away from the motorcycle world for about 13 years now.
I'm not 'rich' right now and NEED a sport bike for under $5k. I'm 5'9" and 185 pounds (mostly muscle, not fat
, 32 years old and already have a multiple car insurance policy - cheaper insurance?? I owned a VFR 700 back in the early 90's and loved it - it was my first and only motorcyle - but had to get rid of it since it was my only way to get around. I've found that some guys on the internet know just as much, if not more, than the magazine guys do. I guess I'll list what I'm looking for, in order of priorities then throw in some guesses as to what to buy.
1. Has to be comfortable enough to ride for long (120 plus miles) road trips.
2. Has to have a full fairing - look like a sport bike. I can't stand the look of something like the Honda 919. Maybe a Superhawk with the optional bottom fairing would suffice.
3. I'd prefer a large cc bike. See below about the VFR-800 but I'm looking for one liter and above - forget this now, I didn't realize how fast CBR 600's were.
4. It's got to handle 'pretty well'.
5. I'd love a fuel injected bike knowing what I know now about tuning EEC-V fuel-injected Mustangs (put a wide-band O2 sensor in the exhaust pipe and tweak the computer). I REALLY want a fuel-injected bike but know that for the most part that it's out of my budget.
6. I'd love for it to look 'modern'. The late 80's Gixers 1000's don't look modern to me anymore, for example. I love the modern look of the cleaned up rear end with a small license plate and huge/wide back tire, unlike my old VFR 700.
7. I want a 'clean', never-laid-down bike... I know I'm asking for a bit here.
8. Not a big issue, but I can swap a set of heads and cams on a car so can do a lot of my own work on the bike. My point is that I have the tools and can do some work if needed.
I've been looking at, in some order:
Honda: VFR800, VTR1000, CBR1x00 (any year), CBR 600 (only if that's the only clean bike I can get for my budget). I used to be a 'Honda' guy.
Yamaha: I LOVE the FZR 1000's, like the early to middle nineties bikes: I assume that the reach to the bars is not TOO bad - see number one above. This is pretty much the bike I want if it's comfortable enough to carry me and the ol' ball and chain for many miles.
Kawasaki: I fell in love with them back in the ZX10(?) days. I think I could even settle for a clean ZX11, though I think it's not going to handle as well as I want. It's obviously seriously fast, but will it be a pig in the twisties like up in Sedona, Arizona?
Suzuki: I know little about the non Gixers. As far as I know, the gixers are too raked for long rides. The RF900F (?) might make sense for me - now I think this is too slow.
Sorry for the NOVEL, but I don't have much money to piss away, there are SO MANY GREAT bikes out there, and I have awhile to do this right and want to get the 'right' bike. I'm also hoping that someone can mention specific years/good years of some of these bikes that I can get for less than 5k. EX: 1995 FZR 1000, 1998 VFR 800...
I really appreciate your guys' help. I'm hoping for a good thread here and any good input would be greatly appreciated.
PS: Edited for idiotic statements.