Need Advice Engine Repair - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-14-2004, 08:43 AM Thread Starter
jab

Need Advice Engine Repair

I cracked the engine case on my 2001 r6 last fall. A bolt from the drive shaft fell out and into the chain and was propelled into the engine around the tranny casing and cracked it, I believe a new engine is my only affordable alternative. My question is will a 2002 r6 engine go in without any flaw, i have found a 2002 bare engine with 6000 miles for 1400 dollars, is this a good deal? My other question is should I get a bare motor, or the complete motor kit. I would assume I would only need the bare motor as all of my existing parts are still good. I have a stage 1 jet kit for the 2001 engine installed, will this present any problems. I am a mechanical idiot so any and all info pertaining to resolving my situation would be very greatly appriciated, form gettin new engine to other alternatives. I have also found a 2001 bare engine in south carolina on the net for 950.00??, what is the difference between bare engine and complete engine kit??? Thanks in advance for any useful info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-14-2004, 12:46 PM

Depends upon the seller's defination of what is meant in bare engines which I feel means less carbs., no intake maniforlds, no gearbox sprocket & such. The other one sound like the best deal for there will be no missing manifolds & such.

Get yourself a Honda Service Manual of that bike from the Honda dealer rather then Haynes or Clymers book on your bike as it will be full of info.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-14-2004, 01:10 PM
Dad

If that's the whole story and it's just a crack resulting in an oil leak, I would fix the crack. If the crack crosses the parting line between the upper and lower cases, the proper way to do it is to take the lower case off. If it's in just one or the other, a thorough cleaning and prepping of the area in place, then epoxy carefully applied, should do the trick. I'm assuming the crack is ahead of the front sprocket in an area that's unstressed. Not around the final output shaft bearing.

Keeping the "Hap" in "Happy Holidays"!

Regime change begins at home.

Blind patriotism is worse than no patriotism.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-15-2004, 07:46 AM Thread Starter
jab

Thanks for the replies. The crack must be around the final output shaft bearing because the mechanic who looked at it said it was in his opinion in a to high stress area to consider fixing crack, or I belive he put it to high compression area. Unfortunately my bike is being stored a couple hundred miles from me right now so I cant look at it to see. I think I'm going to go with the motor with 2900 miles for 950.00, Im still waiting to hear from the salvage yard if its an 01 or 02, they werent sure when I spoke to them last. They say it comes with all covers/ manifolds, but no wiring harness, etc. Seems like a good deal, wish me luck!!
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-15-2004, 08:46 AM

Talking

Be careful. I personally would not buy an engine that I could not see. Friend of mine bought a "bare" engine over the internet and this is what he received from the place... The company is nowhere to be found...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pistons.jpg (23.1 KB, 58 views)

I'll Sleep when I'm Dead....

Spread the love. Literally.

My hoes are motivated and my teeth are gold plated

Friends help you move...
Real friends help you move bodies!

“Next time I want to borrow your balls, I’LL ASK!!!!”
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-15-2004, 11:39 AM

I have bought engine's off E-bay and they have worked fine a 2002 engine will fit perfectly in an 01 r6 frame.

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-15-2004, 12:48 PM Thread Starter
jab

Yeah I hear you on not trusting the internet. But I spoke to the shop directly, got their adress, and have called 411 and it is listed with corredt adress and phone # etc. I am also going to call other garages etc in the same area and ask them about this place, figure someone will have at least heard of it. The engine is a 2002 complete with all covers/ clutch/ etc, it comes with 30 day warranty and title f the bike it was pulled from. Seems legit, and considering its the best deal ive found in the past 5 months I am going to take it. Hopefully I dont get ed
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-16-2004, 06:27 AM
S370HSSV 0773H

Send a message via Yahoo to spicersh
Quote:
Originally posted by jab
Yeah I hear you on not trusting the internet. But I spoke to the shop directly, got their adress, and have called 411 and it is listed with corredt adress and phone # etc. I am also going to call other garages etc in the same area and ask them about this place, figure someone will have at least heard of it. The engine is a 2002 complete with all covers/ clutch/ etc, it comes with 30 day warranty and title f the bike it was pulled from. Seems legit, and considering its the best deal ive found in the past 5 months I am going to take it. Hopefully I dont get ed
Might be worthwhile to check the Better Busuness Bureau also, if the place is in question.

http://search.bbb.org/search.html

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all of fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomanical, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully. - Richard Dawkins, The God Delusion
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-16-2004, 08:45 AM
jrm

Personally, I'd trust the opinion of neighboring businesses more than the BBB. I consider the BBB a tool for businesses to hide behind in the event of a problem. Last time I checked, the BBB will only tell you if they are a member in "good standing" or not. To be in good standing, they need to send in their dues regularly.

Had a BAD experience with them as a consumer and received zero satisfaction from crappy repair shop. Now when they call my business to ask me to become a member, I call them all sorts of names and tell them where to go.

>>Rant mode off<<
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-16-2004, 08:53 AM
S370HSSV 0773H

Send a message via Yahoo to spicersh
Quote:
Originally posted by jrm
Personally, I'd trust the opinion of neighboring businesses more than the BBB. I consider the BBB a tool for businesses to hide behind in the event of a problem. Last time I checked, the BBB will only tell you if they are a member in "good standing" or not. To be in good standing, they need to send in their dues regularly.

Had a BAD experience with them as a consumer and received zero satisfaction from crappy repair shop. Now when they call my business to ask me to become a member, I call them all sorts of names and tell them where to go.

>>Rant mode off<<
I'm not sure of the politics behind the BBB, but I'll take your word for it. It should be able to tell you if there are complaints though, no (perhaps the place he's looking didn't pay their dues )?

I would agree it would be good to talk to neighbors too, and any other source of info would be good. I meant the BBB link as just a reference....not the reference.

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all of fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomanical, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully. - Richard Dawkins, The God Delusion
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode