the end of my car - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-13-2004, 03:16 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to Chris Sedition Send a message via Yahoo to Chris Sedition
the end of my car

so i'm thinking about getting rid of my car. it's a 2001 Honda Civic EX. I just switch jobs, and now have a 10-20 min commute via public transportation to work. i live in the middle of Boston, MA so pretty much everything i could want is excessible by bus/subway/etc. if i do this, my only source of personal transportation will be my bike. that makes me a little nervous. however, paying off a loan and car insurance on a vehicle i'm not using makes me a little nervous, too. then there is the whole winter thing to consider.

so i'm curious to know...how may other people on here *only* have a bike? what is good/bad about that being your only source of transportation? should i keep the car? i'm curious to get some insight from others before i take the plunge...

-chr|s

LISTEN TO SLAYER
AIM: chR1s sedition
Yahoo: CSedition

2003 R1 (black / red / hell-fire)

"All black, no bling"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-13-2004, 04:41 PM

When I lived in the cities with public tansit I only had an old truck & a trailer to haul my comp bikes to the events. Otherwise it was m/cing to & from work or lord knows where in the fun sense----public transit in so many cases like raining days, winter days, cold weather. I held two jobs being salesman at a mens clothing salesman yet also parner of a m/c shop.

Do not know if that makes sense to you, but to me, at the time, I was quite happy & no money owing on anything other then our m/c shop or when in another city the money was being saved & still used the handy & reliable public transit system.

Wish it was here, but this is farming terrain & small town so very different no such thing as public transit.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-14-2004, 04:36 AM

chris

i find the T to be a good way to get around when i'm in the "big city" and i know you'll appreciate not havig to fight for parking in the winter. however what if you need to leave the city in January? just something to think about.

i don't know if you owe any money on the car but if you do, you could always buy a winter beater incase you need to have a car for any reason at all.

SQUID=Stupidly Quick, Underdressed, & Imminently Dead

Katie has a nice "spice rack".

If you can read this, thank a teacher....If you're reading this in English, thank a Veteran.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-14-2004, 05:55 AM

Keep in mind that when you do your grocery shopping you are limited only to what you can carry. If you can deal with that you won't have any problems. This is from a native NYer.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-14-2004, 06:27 AM

Send a message via AIM to Tippmann Send a message via Yahoo to Tippmann
If you live in boston, you're going to have to deal with some harsh winter. Get a beater 4x4 to take around in the winter, and general shopping. You wont care what happens to it, and it will be cheap as hell to buy.

Quote:
Originally posted by sidewaysducati
SWIPE THE CARD GRANDMA!!!
SWIPE THE GODDAMNED CARD!!!!
WARNING
If you are reading this then this warning is for you. Every word you read of this useless fine print is another second off your life. Don't you have other things to do? Is your life so empty that you honestly can't think of a better way to spend these moments? Or are you so impressed with authority that you give respect and credence to all who claim it? Do you read everything you're supposed to read? Do you think everything you're supposed to think? Buy what you're told you should want? Get out of your apartment. Meet a member of the opposite sex. Stop the excessive shopping and masturbation. Quit your job. Start a fight. Prove you're alive. If you don't claim your humanity you will become a statistic. You have been warned...... Tyler
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-14-2004, 07:49 AM

I agree on the beater. For in my area where a cage is needed mine (no public Transit) is a '91 Mazda 4X4 that I need come winter time due to the snow/ice, my grocery shopping, to & from the gun range with its terribly steep & twisty road ------ rather then a good car & at its age, most are not interested in stealing it YET it is locked each time I step out of it even in my farming community. Latter being a city habit.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-14-2004, 08:24 AM
jrm

Guy that works with me and his girlfriend have only bicycles by choice. They ride to work and all around Seattle as they need to. When they want to head out of town, they rent a car for a weekend. Granted, our winters are pretty wimpy in town, but if you add up what you spend on insurance to keep a car for that occasional trip, you could rent cars/trucks a few times a year for same money.

Seattle also has a FlexCar program. It looks pretty sweet. You might check into that as well if there is a local program for you.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-14-2004, 09:02 AM

Chris,
I'm in a similar situation as you right now. I currently live in Brooklyn, take the train or cab to Manhattan for work everyday, and I'm making car payments and insurance payments for a car I use infrequently. It's nice, having the car when I need it, but I'm having a hard time justifying the enormous expense when it would be much much cheaper to rent a car on the odd occassion I need one.

I'm now considering moving into Manhattan, which means that I'd either have to leave the car in Brooklyn and travel to BK whenever I needed my car or I could pay $300+ per month for a parking space in Manhattan. Needless to say, I think I'm gonna be getting rid of the car ASAP. Unfortunately, my lease doesn't expire until January '05 and I don't know if getting out of it early will screw my credit, but at this point, I'm wondering if it would be much cheaper to just get rid of it. Anybody have any experience/advice on getting out of a car lease early?

Again, like you, the bike would be my only means of transportation if I got rid of the cage, but you and I are fortunate to live in such big cities that there is more than ample mass/public transit if the bike isn't suitable. Even if my city is home to the best baseball team of all time!
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-14-2004, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by slaintedan
Even if my city is home to the best baseball team of all time!
yeah, just ask the Marlins.

SQUID=Stupidly Quick, Underdressed, & Imminently Dead

Katie has a nice "spice rack".

If you can read this, thank a teacher....If you're reading this in English, thank a Veteran.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-14-2004, 09:16 AM
S370HSSV 0773H

Send a message via Yahoo to spicersh
Quote:
Originally posted by slaintedan
I'm now considering moving into Manhattan, which means that I'd either have to leave the car in Brooklyn and travel to BK whenever I needed my car or I could pay $300+ per month for a parking space in Manhattan. Needless to say, I think I'm gonna be getting rid of the car ASAP. Unfortunately, my lease doesn't expire until January '05 and I don't know if getting out of it early will screw my credit, but at this point, I'm wondering if it would be much cheaper to just get rid of it. Anybody have any experience/advice on getting out of a car lease early?
We thought about getting out of our lease and even talked to the dealership a few times. They were very helpful and more than willing to let us out of the lease....as soon as we paid off the remaining balance. In other words, they gave us a big .

About the only way to do it would be sell it yourself for the amount you owe on your lease if you can. If you're upside-down on your lease, you may have to eat some of the cost. Then you just need to decide if losing some money quickly is worth not losing a bunch slowly by paying for an unused car.

I've pretty much come to the conclusion that leasing a car is a horrible idea unless you own a business and can write off the depreciation. Yet another hard lesson learned....I'll have to file that one right behind "Don't Ever Buy A Buell"....but that's a whole other story.

Sorry about the

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all of fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomanical, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully. - Richard Dawkins, The God Delusion
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode