Sportbike World banner

Helping your fellow riders

2K views 23 replies 16 participants last post by  monkey 
#1 · (Edited)
I don’t remember who posted up a while ago about having a bunch of bikers ride by without helping him, so I’d like to post this.

I was on my way home on Saturday after about 150 miles of riding. I was dead tired, my ass hurt, I was hungry, and I just wanted to get home. I was coming around a turn down a hill, and I see a guy on a Harley parked on the side of the road looking at his ride, he looked up at me as I went by. I fully intended to stop, but couldn’t the way I was going. I turned around, went back up the hill and parked in front of the guy. I got off my bike, took my helmet off, and asked the guy if I could help him with anything. He looked at me for a long 6 seconds like he was going to take a swing at me. Finally he said “4 bikes already passed me up without stopping, I thought you were the 5th until I heard you coming back up the hill”. He also said that the other bikes were all cruisers, and he never expected a “crotch rocket” to stop. He smiled and shook my hand, and told me his bike was dead. So I got him to drift his bike to the bottom of the hill to a parking lot and leave it. Then I gave him a ride to his house so he could get his truck and his trailer, which was about 10 miles away. I followed him back in his car and helped him load his bike onto the trailer. He thanked me again, and told me again how surprised he was that what he thought was some punk kid on a crotch rocket with a death wish would stop and help a Harley rider. We shook hands again, he went on his way, I went on mine. Maybe I changed someones opinion about sportbike riders.

Bikers have to stick together, no matter what they are riding. We are all just as vulnerable out there on the road, and sometimes need the help of strangers to get by. Ride safe.

See less See more
#3 ·
Good job Tippman. I know how you feel about being tired and just wanting to get where you are going. It is so easy to just ride by as if you didn't see him. I know that I have been trying to slow my life down so that so that I may be more apt to perform a random act of kindness. Once again, good job!

#4 ·
so let me get this straight. you got a Harley rider to ride Bitch on your bike?
:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: thats just beautiful man! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

you did an awesome thing Tipp and your a better man for it. :thumb: good job.

#6 ·
good job :), I've been on both sides of the coin. My bike wasn't disabled, but I sure was. I took a hit from a rock to the face, visor was up while I adjusted my glasses. I sat on the side of the road trying to stop the bleeding for a good 20 minutes and no one stopped :mad: Cars and tons of bikes went by and NO HELP :finger:

I have stopped and will continue to stop for fellow riders. BTW: all 3 riders I've stopped to help were on Harleys. Surprises the shit out of them :)

#7 ·
Well done, lad! :thumbs2: I always stop, whether I'm in my car or on my bike. Sometimes you get a real jerk who doesn't want any help (excessive pride, maybe?), but usually they're glad you stopped and at the very least they feel a little more secure 'cause they're not alone while they wait for the flatbed or a ride home. The line's been beaten to death, but, "Can't we all just get along?" :dunno:

#8 ·
It has been an established thing in my way of riding, from what I picked up from my peer riders that one never goes by a fellow rider.

Now in 99% of the cases it was simply them doing up their jacket or such as the mtn roads are a bit cooler. Once was a chap that had to take a crap, but no toilet paper & yes he got it from me, hiked off into the trees, did his thing & came back as I guarded his bike. We both agreed that this was a funny & rare one, but it was just one of those times in life. LOL

#9 ·
Smitty said:
Once was a chap that had to take a crap, but no toilet paper & yes he got it from me, hiked off into the trees, did his thing & came back as I guarded his bike. We both agreed that this was a funny & rare one, but it was just one of those times in life. LOL
LOL...now THATS what i would call and EMERGENCY stop. :thumb:
:laughing:

#12 ·
Smitty said:
Once was a chap that had to take a crap, but no toilet paper & yes he got it from me, hiked off into the trees, did his thing & came back as I guarded his bike. We both agreed that this was a funny & rare one, but it was just one of those times in life. LOL
Is anyone suprised that smitty carries tp with him when he rides. :confused:

For some reason I'd be suprised if he didn't.;)

#14 ·
monkey said:
not me. i do it. not tp but napkins. especially on longer trips.
are they with or without wings :twofinger

Good Deal tippman... I always stop as well no matter what I'm driving.. even if to offer a cell phone to call for help.. I have been there and know what it's like when noone stops to see how ya are... (after that idiot lady ran me off the road by Mayville :mad: good thing I was able to pick my 929 up by myself :rolleyes: )

E.

#15 ·
Great story!

Just the opposite happend to me. We were driving home to Detroit and were in upstate New York. I got split from my riding partner, *cough* Bluto, so I was waiting on the interstate. Simply pulled over reading a newspaper waiting for someone :twofinger . Two harley dudes like 10 minutes apart each stopped to see what kind of help I needed. After I told them I was ok, they split. I thought it was cool. Funny thing...I will stop to help a fellow rider out, now matter what they are on. The one time I did stop it was a Harley.

#16 ·
One thing I learned from this board, back when I first joined. I don't remember who I got it from but I have heard it a few times.

"It doesn't matter what you ride, as long as you ride"

I will wave/help do what ever I can as long as I'm safe in doing so to help or give a greating to somebody else.

I to have turned around to help a person in need. Had to go down the hill and back up to be able to stop, sometimes you just can't stop on a dime.

#18 ·
Help can come in other manners. Like back around '90 I was scooting down this 70KPH part of Penticton & picking off a few slug cage drivers doing 60 or less (that is arond 35mph). Only just past an intersection a ghost RCMP vehicle hits its lights. There I am 60 yrs of age, 5'10" & stooped, fabric m/c jacket on, jeans, climbing boots with full face helmet off & standing beside my '87 Yamaha TZR-250.

Up comes this typical HOG rider, stetched out forks, straight pipes, etc that parks in front of my bike, usual of engineer boots, toren up jeans, leather vest, beard, some tats & plastic scull cap around 30s in age standing 6' or taller. So he starts to sort of look in as the cop is claiming I was speeding, etc. Finally the cop is annoyed turns & says "Who are you----" & that was as far as he got only the HOG rider says "This is my riding buddy & wern't speeding". We are just so darn different only what can the cop do for here is my witness (I remember passing him a while back), so I get a warning ticket about "Weaving".

Needless to say I am relieved & as the chap was starting to walk back to his bike I said "Man I owe you one" & I think he said something like "You'd do the same wouldn't you?".

Obviously more then one way to give a fellow rider some help!!!!!!!!!

#19 ·
Smitty said:
Help can come in other manners.
Great story smitty. I'm not sure how well it will hold up on most occasions. But good story none the less.

#20 ·
I might very well have been the one you read a thread about getting ignored on the side of the road for SIX FARKING HOURS.. anyway.. I used to stop and help all kinds of folk, I've stopped in pouring rain before to help change tires, sat with a guy for a few hours waiting on a tow truck when he got a flat on his bike, all sorts of stuff - I don't stop to help cars anymore though, I used to stop for any car on the interstate, even if i was in a hurry to go somewhere, because I've been there and it sucks, but - I got held up and my wallet taken one time, having a gun pointed at your face will tend to make you reconsider things, it might sound sexist but ever since then I only stop for bikes, I won't stop for a car unless it's only a girl, or only a car of girls, if i slow down thinking it's a girl and it's a guy, i'll whiz right on past - :finger: getting held up

#21 ·
hehehe...That reminds me of last spring. A friend and I where out riding on a divided highway (well sorta..nebraska forgot to finish the other half). My bud see's a rider pulled over on the other side of the highway. So instead of turning around at a safe spot he decides to drive across the grassy divider. It had rained alot the week before and needless to say as he went to go across the grass his rear tire sunk in the mud all the way too the swing arm. As it turns out the guy we pulled over to help was just stopped to have a cigarette and ended up having to help us get my buds bike out of the mud.:D

#22 ·
ga_skyline_rydr said:
Great story Tippy, thanks for sharing it and helping a fellow rider.
There is an old saying, what goes around comes around. When you help someone good things will return. Of course the opposite applies also>>> Someone helped me out one time during a night ride when I only had a rainbow shield. They temporarily swapped a clear shield for my rainbow to allow my safe return home that night. It was thoughtful but I wish I could get my rainbow shield back!!!!

#23 ·
ZTECH said:
There is an old saying, what goes around comes around. When you help someone good things will return.
I don't think this one thing is going to out weigh my normal asshole personality.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.