Ride or trailer new bike home? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-28-2004, 07:49 AM Thread Starter
DS9

Ride or trailer new bike home?

Did a search but didn't really find answers.
Anyway, I'm about to buy my first new bike. When I bought my first bike I trailered it home, looked over the bike well and made some minor repairs. Should I expect a new bike to be ready to ride?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-28-2004, 08:07 AM

If you are buying a NEW bike from a dealer then it should be fully prepared for the road. Depending upon the dealer will say if the fuel tank is with SOME fuel in it or filled to the top.

After all in purchasing a new bike you are also paying for the "preperation" of the bike so it can be ridden right off the dealers lot.

Personally I would check the bike over, sit on it to see that all the hand & foot controls are where I prefer them, take a small run around a few blocks to check on the "clocks" on the bike & if they are working correctly. Everything should be 100% to your satisfaction.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-28-2004, 08:11 AM

If you're financing at all, you'll have to insure the bike, trailer or no.

I say trailer if you are in bad weather, but want the bike now. Me, I rode each of mine off the lot, each time praying fervently I would not make a dumb mistake in the dealer's parking lot (and I've been riding on the street for 25 years...).

cdma2k

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-28-2004, 10:05 AM

As was said before take it for spin around the block before you head out. Mine had a funny rattle and had to go back to get it checked.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-28-2004, 02:43 PM

Ride that puppy home

Your dealer should have it ready for you. Don't try anything crazy on it but definitely ride it home.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-28-2004, 04:39 PM

make sure your dealer takes the clear plastic off the exhaust can before you ride it home. my dealer forgot! that wasnt pretty
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-28-2004, 06:40 PM

depends where the dealer is located

I live approx. 120 miles from where I got mine so I trailered it. Checked it out before I loaded it up. I prefer to cruise the bike around a lil and get used to the brakes and throttle,gears and just make sure the bike is gonna stay together before jumping into heavy traffic.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-28-2004, 10:28 PM

The dealer had it all ready and delivered it to my house complete with a full tank of gas. It was my first bike and I live 90 miles from the dealership. I just didn't feel comfortable riding it on the highway so....they offered to deliver it.
I think a dealer will pretty much do anything to get you to buy. I would just tell them what you expect of them when taking the bike home.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-29-2004, 06:56 AM
jrm

Rode all 4 of our new bikes home. Just remember you are on new tires. All rides were pretty mellow, too. Last one was December 2002, at night, in the pissing rain. Only way that ride was enjoyable is I was on my new bike!
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-29-2004, 07:13 PM Thread Starter
DS9

Thanks very much for the opinions. If the dealer takes my offer I will be riding my new bike home soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode