DMV road test can it be done, on a sport bike? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-24-2004, 07:50 PM Thread Starter

DMV road test can it be done, on a sport bike?

For me and the guy before me we both passed our road tests at the VA dmv in newport news today. It was my 2nd time. I tried one day ago and failed bad. I went back today on the R6, and passed by one point. I don't know what all I was marked off for but I didn't really care. The guy before me had a ff600 in blue. That thing looks hot to.
I know I know MSF MSF. its booked for 3 months. But my seat is reserved, course is paid for. I will be there.
I did practice the course that was layed out before I took it for the 2nd time. I wasn't perfect, but I was good enough. So I'm happy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-24-2004, 09:09 PM

Talking

Hey I lived in Newport News for 5 years while I was in the Navy still have some friends there. I didn't know it was that hard to get a mc license there. I liked living there but found a better job up here in Wiconsin. Well just thought i'd chime in.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-25-2004, 02:08 PM

I think it really depends on a few different factors. The particular state, the person giving the exam (and how harsh they are), the particular bike, and of course the skill of the rider.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-25-2004, 02:19 PM

YUP

I did it on my first try on a friends GSXR..... Lost 5 points for putting my foot down during the u-turn (bike didn't like 2mph turn)

I had been riding for years and had taken the MSF course about 6 years before in PA and had the endorsement as well but it wasn't transferred over to FL when I moved here for some reason, so I had to get the endorsement (after I got caught in a DUI check point) in a hurry...

Not that hard if you "know" how to ride and accident avoidance...

I'll Sleep when I'm Dead....

Spread the love. Literally.

My hoes are motivated and my teeth are gold plated

Friends help you move...
Real friends help you move bodies!

“Next time I want to borrow your balls, I’LL ASK!!!!”
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-25-2004, 04:52 PM

In MN you have to wait a week to take it after you fail and good luck getting an appointment in the twin cities area. The test is very doable on a sportbike, i passed no problem the second time, even managed to throw a stoppie in the mix during the exam. I was doing the quick stop and the guy said i let up the first time and asked me to do it agian so i stayed in the gas and the second i crossed the line layed into the brakes pulling the rear up about a foot. I stoped, it set down, the instructor said, "that was cute", i responded with, "well i stoped and i definitly didn't let up", at that point he signed the sheet and told me to, "get out of here".....lol
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-25-2004, 05:22 PM

I took my rode test on little 70 cc bike. Passed the first time Pefect score.

I am back!
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-25-2004, 10:50 PM

Definately depends on the marker. I don't know how your tests are but up here they're done on public roads with an earpiece in under your helmet. I passed mine with only 1 extra mark because I "didn't shit enough".... all on 40km/h roads with a sportbike, 1 shift was lucky to get in.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-26-2004, 04:09 AM
S370HSSV 0773H

Send a message via Yahoo to spicersh
I passed on my first try with an F4. I'd been riding for a little over a year at that point though. I got my permit the first time and let it expire (why I couldn't find time to get the endorsement within the first year I don't know), so I had to get my permit again and wait 30 more days.

The instructor said that any production bike was capable of completing the course with a perfect score. He said the bike cops had to take this same test from time to time on their Harley's and not one of them could get less than a perfect score.

That being said, he didn't have anyone actually do it and prove it to us, so it may have been about the perfect score thing, but I do believe that any bike could pass the test in Indiana at least.

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all of fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomanical, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully. - Richard Dawkins, The God Delusion
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-26-2004, 09:41 AM

not on my 916
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-26-2004, 11:16 AM

Yeah, the wrong bike can really make it hard, I tell everyone to go borrow a 250 or 500 to take it. I did mine on a BMW tourer, it took me 3 times, the instructor let me rerun it on the spot, she knew I had a hard bike to take it on.

James.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode