why are we / they a**holes (was: poll: wave at others) - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-24-2004, 03:39 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to Chris Sedition Send a message via Yahoo to Chris Sedition
why are we / they a**holes (was: poll: wave at others)

ok, i need someone to explain something to me. i'm relativly new to sport bikes, but have a decent background in M/Cing in general. but this, however, has me conused.

so here's the deal. a freind recentlly got a 2004 R6. I've been riding it a lot. while doing so i've gone about my normal riding routines which includes waving at (all) other riders. i've noticed that i get a significant number of LESS returned waves when i'm riding the R6, than when i'm riding my bike which beater standard-style Honda CB750k. the most of it seems to come (or rather not come) from harley / cruiser-type riders. then i read that thread / poll on the same issue which confirmed what i had noticed. so my question is....why are people on sportbikes seen as scum by other riders? does it stem from 'rice-burning' racism, a sense of insecurity about riding archaic technology? someone please ed-u-ma-cate me.

-chr|s

LISTEN TO SLAYER
AIM: chR1s sedition
Yahoo: CSedition

2003 R1 (black / red / hell-fire)

"All black, no bling"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-24-2004, 03:56 PM

Judging from what I learned way back in college I'd say those who refuse to return the wave are suffering from an inferiority complex. That and Harley's suck
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-24-2004, 04:16 PM

You my friend have just learned how to tell the real bikers from the want-to-be's.

James.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-24-2004, 07:44 PM

Today was my first day I passed other riders on the street. one on a gold wing and one on a sprotbike. I compeltely forgot about the waving. I waved back hopefully it time for them to see it. I got to remember that. I dont want people to think I'm an ass or disrespectful. I will ride with anybody, unless they give me a reason not to want to ride with them.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-24-2004, 10:19 PM

It is not compulsory to wave at other m/cist you know.

I do not, but then my riding friends were mainly from the UK & no one in my few cities waved back in the late 40s or 50s. I feel it is an American thing that has slowly moved up into some parts of Cdn.

Over in Europe most riders to NOT wave at each other.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-24-2004, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jamesjweg
You my friend have just learned how to tell the real bikers from the want-to-be's.

James.
I think you Nailed that one right on the head. I can't count the times Either Harley or Sportbike riders havent waved. It's pretty easy too tell who will wave and who wont. You can usually tell the Harley riders who wont wave. They and their bike have this I'm a "bad-ass on the weekends" look to them. The sport bike riders that dont wave have on the normal squid gear on wich is usually a muscle shirt, flip flops and shorts. Normally I always wave , but when they dont wave back when I'm pretty sure they saw me they get this . None-the-less, I dont let it ruin my day and just keep enjoying the fact that I'm lucky enough too be on Two wheel's.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-25-2004, 01:32 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by EdgeRanger
Today was my first day I passed other riders on the street. one on a gold wing and one on a sprotbike. I compeltely forgot about the waving. I waved back hopefully it time for them to see it. I got to remember that. I dont want people to think I'm an ass or disrespectful. I will ride with anybody, unless they give me a reason not to want to ride with them.
Waving is a nice pleasantry between riders but don't worry about it that much. Especially if you're new, just worry about riding and the waving will come easily once you're comfortable.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-25-2004, 04:09 AM
Best ET 7.77 @ 186mph

Send a message via Yahoo to DreamRyder
I wave to any bike that I come across... and I'd say over half return the friendly jester... sportbikes or cruisers no difference... it's a way to say we share a common interest... the passion to be on two wheels

though I have come across a few cruisers who say they dont' wave to sportbikers cause of the "I go fast and am better than you and you go slow and suck attitude".... then I have also heard from some sportbikers who say they dont' wave to cruisers cause they have this "I'm a bad ass mfker and you worth my acknowledgement attitude"...

I think personally it's all in how you are brought up and your area.. my sister rides a Yamaha Roadstar 1600cc cruiser fully dressed out... and I ride a crotchrocket - in the northwest area of FL all bikers are treated as equal and you always get a freindly wave

just enjoy your ride and wave (when safe) to anyone you feel like acknowledging that you share a common passion with

E.

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

If it's too good to be true... then you must be Dreaming.

ONLY FEMALE WORLD WIDE to run in the 7's with a Prostreet Bike (no bar, slider, 2step, or slicks)

Sponsored by: RCC Turbo, Bellman Oil, Syed Leathers, Schnitz Racing, Boost by Smith, Cycle-Tek, Tiger Racing, Machine Works Racing, R&R Trailers by RandPCarriages.com, Mirror Look Customs, Rev'd Up Motorsports, and ofcourse SportBike World !
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-25-2004, 04:22 AM

So far I'd have to agree that cruisers and hardleys wave less. Most of the time people just are not expecting a wave. We've become rude and self centered as a society.

Oh, guys on bmws NEVER wave back. I came up near one going the same way he actually moved away like I had a disease or something. Rude.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-25-2004, 04:47 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by ekinnee
So far I'd have to agree that cruisers and hardleys wave less. Most of the time people just are not expecting a wave. We've become rude and self centered as a society.

Oh, guys on bmws NEVER wave back. I came up near one going the same way he actually moved away like I had a disease or something. Rude.
Well it wasn't me that's for sure, I wave all the time. Are you sure he wasn't just giving you room to go by if you wanted?

James.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode