Hand signals - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-21-2004, 09:12 PM Thread Starter

Hand signals

Motorcyclist should develop some commonly known hand signals.
Like pointing at the tank if you need gas during a group ride.

For example, something to warn riders going the other way if you just passed a cop with radar gun?

What do you know of for this and other situations?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-21-2004, 09:23 PM

Often before group riding people will take a moment to discuss what kind of hand signals to use. Usually they are all pretty standard and easy to figure out because yea everyone knows what you're trying to say if you point to your tank when group riding. To warn other riders up the road about police or hazards typically you'll just see the slow down wave which is palm facing the road and waving the hand up and down. Sometimes the heads up sign which is just a quick tap to the helmet and then pointing upwards. All of its pretty straightforward, just go ahead and ask around if you're unsure what you're group does with those things.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-22-2004, 06:21 AM

Yeah, and it's inportant to use hand signals, I meet a guy on a CBR 600RR at a gas station the other day, we went for a little ride, I was leading and hit my right turn signal to turn onto a side road. I was watching my mirror, and it looked like he wasn't gonna make the turn, I delayed my turn in and sure enough he went by on my right, while he was U turning to come back I took a look at my turn signal, for some unknown reason it was barly visable. Just a harsh reminder to me to check my lights before a ride, to use hand signals (they don't burn out) and watch my mirrors. I had not been riding that bike latly and I don't know what's up with the blinker, it is VERY dim now. I think I'll replace them before I ride that one again.

James.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-22-2004, 09:06 AM

As was stated earlier palm down, up and down wave means to slow down. Also a raised hand or stuck out leg means that you are turning, slowing, or coming off line, so it tells the rider behind you to be cautious.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-22-2004, 06:30 PM

Send a message via AIM to Tippmann Send a message via Yahoo to Tippmann
I'm a big fan of the shocker.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ron4.jpg (18.2 KB, 111 views)

Quote:
Originally posted by sidewaysducati
SWIPE THE CARD GRANDMA!!!
SWIPE THE GODDAMNED CARD!!!!
WARNING
If you are reading this then this warning is for you. Every word you read of this useless fine print is another second off your life. Don't you have other things to do? Is your life so empty that you honestly can't think of a better way to spend these moments? Or are you so impressed with authority that you give respect and credence to all who claim it? Do you read everything you're supposed to read? Do you think everything you're supposed to think? Buy what you're told you should want? Get out of your apartment. Meet a member of the opposite sex. Stop the excessive shopping and masturbation. Quit your job. Start a fight. Prove you're alive. If you don't claim your humanity you will become a statistic. You have been warned...... Tyler
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-22-2004, 06:45 PM
Resident Smart Ass!

Send a message via AIM to Jester Send a message via Yahoo to Jester
Signals one of the local clubs use:

To indicate to the rider behind you that you want him to pass or ride up next to you in the same lane - Run your arm back and forth alongside your bike on the side you want them to pass on.

To indicate you are moving to the other half of your lane - Stick your foot out in the direction you are moving

To let riders behind you know about a hazard in the road - Point at it with your foot or hand

To let the rest of the group know that you spotted a cop - Pat the top of your helmet with your left hand. Be sure to make this action noticeable to riders in the back of the group.

To tell another rider that they left their turn signal on - Hold your left hand up and repeatedly touch your thumb to your fingers.

To indicate that you need to get gas - Just point at your gas tank.

To indicate that you have spotted a hot chick in a nearby vehicle - Raise the roof.

Help control the squid population, have your squid spayed or neutered

"it's not the smart ass behavior that gets to me... it's the dumb ass behavior that is a problem..." -Quote from my Aunt.

Only motorcycle riders understand why dogs stick their head out of car windows.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-01-2004, 06:26 PM

I personally like the two in the pink, one in the stink...hand signal.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-01-2004, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by x03Gixxer600x
I personally like the two in the pink, one in the stink...hand signal.
also known as the notorious "sixpacker"
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-01-2004, 07:27 PM
Resident Smart Ass!

Send a message via AIM to Jester Send a message via Yahoo to Jester
Quote:
Originally posted by AudioSolstice
also known as the notorious "sixpacker"
Or the shocker

Help control the squid population, have your squid spayed or neutered

"it's not the smart ass behavior that gets to me... it's the dumb ass behavior that is a problem..." -Quote from my Aunt.

Only motorcycle riders understand why dogs stick their head out of car windows.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-01-2004, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jester
Or the shocker
good stuff
but i was wrong the sixpacker is a bit different then the shocker...as the shocker is done with the index, pointer and the pinky...the sixpacker is done with the pointer index and thumb...like carrying a six pack...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode