The next step - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 03-19-2004, 12:00 PM Thread Starter

The next step

First off I would like to say thanks to a few for there advise and insight.
Hammer4, DAD, Robert & Smitty there were more of course, but special thanks to these guys.

Now my situation is. I am turning the SV into a track bike. Since there is a void in the market of 3/4 twins & I am not exactly overwelmed w/ the thought of a liter twin, where is a good place to step up to? A good friend suggested a GSXR 750(good midrange grunt), but I have heard that it can be a handfull. I have ridden a 01' F4i, and the engine is smooth & powerful enough, but geez no TORQUE or engine braking I am mostly a weekend warrior, but occationally commute on it. What would some of you guys suggest for my next ride? Here is a little on my experience
3 years riding
16K miles total
past rides:
83' Yamaha XS650
01' SV650S
too many trackdays to admit to

I know there is no magical bike here, but I guess I am just looking for opinions on if the 750 will be too much or if the 600 would be plenty. I just hate to make a decision on the 600 based on my little experience w/ them. I like the technology in the 600 class, but the recent reviews of the new Gixxer 750 have me thinking
Thanks guys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 03-19-2004, 02:46 PM

Re: The next step

Quote:
Originally posted by kawi jm
First off I would like to say thanks to a few for there advise and insight.
Hammer4, DAD, Robert & Smitty there were more of course, but special thanks to these guys.

Now my situation is. I am turning the SV into a track bike. Since there is a void in the market of 3/4 twins & I am not exactly overwelmed w/ the thought of a liter twin, where is a good place to step up to? A good friend suggested a GSXR 750(good midrange grunt), but I have heard that it can be a handfull. I have ridden a 01' F4i, and the engine is smooth & powerful enough, but geez no TORQUE or engine braking I am mostly a weekend warrior, but occationally commute on it. What would some of you guys suggest for my next ride? Here is a little on my experience
3 years riding
16K miles total
past rides:
83' Yamaha XS650
01' SV650S
too many trackdays to admit to

I know there is no magical bike here, but I guess I am just looking for opinions on if the 750 will be too much or if the 600 would be plenty. I just hate to make a decision on the 600 based on my little experience w/ them. I like the technology in the 600 class, but the recent reviews of the new Gixxer 750 have me thinking
Thanks guys
Welp, I'd look at 2 bikes, 1 being the Gixxer 750, and the other the new Kaw 636..geez, never thought I'd see the day I recomend a Kaw..

One thing about the Kaw, for me the riding position is kinda uncomfotabe, the seat tends to make you slide into the tank, although others didn't have that problem..The Kaw from what I hear, from street riders, and roadracers alike is that the bike has plenty of pull, in fact some are saying it will hold it's own against some 750's..so ya might wanna check it out.

As for the 750, it's not really a "hand full", of course it may take you a bit to get use to the HP, compared to your SV, but I think the gix 750 is a great choice for both the street, and track, as it does have much more mid range than the 600's, at least in terms of the 01-03 600's, and with a few mods to the 750, you can get even more low, and mid range out of it..And being a gixxer fan, this would be my choice, behind the 1k gix...of course..

Also, keep in mind all the after market parts that is available for the gix, as they are very popular...

let us know whatcha get..and post some pic's of the new ride..

Old, Slow, but ...Smooth
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode