Officially Carless... What would you do? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-19-2004, 08:10 AM Thread Starter

Officially Carless... What would you do?

Hey all... it's been a while since i've been around these parts. Anyway I've been riding all winter so long as there hasnt been snow on the ground but 2 nights ago on the way out to dinner my "car" finally kicked the bucket. The oil pump went for the second time in 6 months and its not worth fixing again at $450. The car is an 1988 Buick Regal, 90,600 miles. The rack is shot (mo power steering), shocks/struts are non-moving, tranny is rough but hasnt given me any problems... So basically the car is showing its age through the drivetrain but everything else (paint, body, interior, etc...) is in awesome shape for the age of the car.

So I see 2 options: Give it to the junkyard or piece it out. What do you all think? Oh and yes i am just riding the bike for the time being, which has proven to be a pain in the ass at times but whatever.

So what do you all think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-19-2004, 08:40 AM

Send a message via AIM to Tippmann Send a message via Yahoo to Tippmann
Wow it's Kyle, long time no see.

I'd have to see what the junk yard would give you for it. If he gives you something close to what you think you could get for pieces, i say go for it. It's less hassle all around.

Quote:
Originally posted by sidewaysducati
SWIPE THE CARD GRANDMA!!!
SWIPE THE GODDAMNED CARD!!!!
WARNING
If you are reading this then this warning is for you. Every word you read of this useless fine print is another second off your life. Don't you have other things to do? Is your life so empty that you honestly can't think of a better way to spend these moments? Or are you so impressed with authority that you give respect and credence to all who claim it? Do you read everything you're supposed to read? Do you think everything you're supposed to think? Buy what you're told you should want? Get out of your apartment. Meet a member of the opposite sex. Stop the excessive shopping and masturbation. Quit your job. Start a fight. Prove you're alive. If you don't claim your humanity you will become a statistic. You have been warned...... Tyler
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-19-2004, 09:17 AM

i'd junk it completely and not worry about getting any money for it. but at the same time, a $450 repair bil may be allot less than a new car payment. the oil pump going after only 6 months? wouldn't that constitute a warrantee reapir on theoil pump or did you put another junk one in to begin with?

ah, screw it. junk it. good weathers coming. save your money and buy a better car in the fall or over the summer. if it rains, wear a raincoat.

SQUID=Stupidly Quick, Underdressed, & Imminently Dead

Katie has a nice "spice rack".

If you can read this, thank a teacher....If you're reading this in English, thank a Veteran.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-19-2004, 09:35 AM
S370HSSV 0773H

Send a message via Yahoo to spicersh
Re: Officially Carless... What would you do?

Quote:
Originally posted by Kyle
So what do you all think?
I think that there are three movies they should NEVER ever play as inflight programming on airplanes.

1. Con Air
2. Air Force One
3. Passenger 57

But that's not important. As far as your car, I'd say do what Tippy said. If you can get more by junking it, do that. Don't underestimate the fun factor of ripping the thing to pieces to part out though.

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all of fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomanical, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully. - Richard Dawkins, The God Delusion
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-19-2004, 10:07 AM

Re: Re: Officially Carless... What would you do?

Quote:
Originally posted by spicersh
But that's not important. As far as your car, I'd say do what Tippy said. If you can get more by junking it, do that. Don't underestimate the fun factor of ripping the thing to pieces to part out though.
i don't know about Indiana or PA but in MA allot of times YOU have to pay to get rid of it or it gets hauled for free. unless you part it out yourself, you typically won't get anything from the junk yards. some RARE occasions, you may get $50.

some new auto dealers may give you $2000 for a trade on special sales days.

or paint it up, smach out the windows, weld the doors shut, remove all the trim work incuding mirrors, winshield whipers, and door handles and enter it into a demolition derby and put her to rest the right way.

If you can read this, thank a teacher....If you're reading this in English, thank a Veteran.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-19-2004, 10:09 AM

Re: Re: Officially Carless... What would you do?

Quote:
Originally posted by spicersh
I think that there are three movies they should NEVER ever play as inflight programming on airplanes.

1. Con Air
2. Air Force One
3. Passenger 57
i would like to add Executive Decision and Airplane to this list.

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-19-2004, 10:39 AM
jrm

Around Seattle, there are many charities that accept cars. Not sure what they do with them, but it would be better than paying for someone to haul it off.

You might also check local community colleges or tech schools that have an auto program. They need auto-cadavers to learn on. They could fix it up, sell it and get some money for their end of year party.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-19-2004, 11:30 AM Thread Starter

You guys came up with a few good ideas I never thought of...

Anyway one thing I purposely left out is this... I only need a car until September, at which time I'm moving to the Virgin Islands and a car isn't necessary (sadly neither is a bike). So thats why its either sell or scrap and not fix (unless the mechanic gives the warranty.)

Thanks for the respsonses though... oh and my choice of movie that should never be shown on an airplane is Gigli, for the simple fact that it should NEVER be shown period.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-19-2004, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Kyle
... I only need a car until September, at which time I'm moving to the Virgin Islands and a car isn't necessary (sadly neither is a bike). So thats why its either sell or scrap and not fix (unless the mechanic gives the warranty.)
fuck it. scrap it. whats 6 months with no car. you got the bike till then.

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-19-2004, 12:17 PM

Dude, you don't need no stinking cage, only reason I got one other than my hotrods now is that someone gave me one.

James.

Last edited by jamesjweg; 03-19-2004 at 03:07 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode