Anyone using RainX on the helmet? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-18-2004, 07:21 AM Thread Starter

Anyone using RainX on the helmet?

A week or two ago I got stuck riding the girlfriend's R6 home in the rain. It was bitter cold and raining pretty hard. My big problem wasn't presented by the low temps, but by the rain itself. I was having a really hard time seeing anything on the road other than brakelights from the car infront of me.

I was wondering if anyone had treater a helmet visor with Rain X or something similar? How much does it help (if any)? Is it worth trying?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-18-2004, 08:26 AM

Send a message via AIM to Tippmann Send a message via Yahoo to Tippmann
Re: Anyone using RainX on the helmet?

Quote:
Originally posted by o|||||||o
A week or two ago I got stuck riding the girlfriend's R6 home in the rain. It was bitter cold and raining pretty hard. My big problem wasn't presented by the low temps, but by the rain itself. I was having a really hard time seeing anything on the road other than brakelights from the car infront of me.

I was wondering if anyone had treater a helmet visor with Rain X or something similar? How much does it help (if any)? Is it worth trying?
I had a buddy that used it with minimal benefit. His thought was that rain-x was made to be used on glass and no plastic. For him it wasn't worth the trouble for the benefit it gave.

Quote:
Originally posted by sidewaysducati
SWIPE THE CARD GRANDMA!!!
SWIPE THE GODDAMNED CARD!!!!
WARNING
If you are reading this then this warning is for you. Every word you read of this useless fine print is another second off your life. Don't you have other things to do? Is your life so empty that you honestly can't think of a better way to spend these moments? Or are you so impressed with authority that you give respect and credence to all who claim it? Do you read everything you're supposed to read? Do you think everything you're supposed to think? Buy what you're told you should want? Get out of your apartment. Meet a member of the opposite sex. Stop the excessive shopping and masturbation. Quit your job. Start a fight. Prove you're alive. If you don't claim your humanity you will become a statistic. You have been warned...... Tyler
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-18-2004, 09:22 AM Thread Starter

Re: Re: Anyone using RainX on the helmet?

Quote:
Originally posted by Tippmann
I had a buddy that used it with minimal benefit. His thought was that rain-x was made to be used on glass and no plastic. For him it wasn't worth the trouble for the benefit it gave.
Good to know!

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-18-2004, 10:58 AM

Don't bother with rainx doesn't work to good, use a good foaming glass cleaner, and a little elbow grease often.

James.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-18-2004, 11:00 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by jamesjweg
Don't bother with rainx doesn't work to good, use a good foaming glass cleaner, and a little elbow grease often.

James.
Yeah, I do that now... I was looking for a little something more.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-18-2004, 11:32 AM

Two answers being FIRST that one must keep their visor CLEAN & NO SCRATCHES.

Second would be by keeping the visor above cleaned constantly. One can use Plexus, SlipStreamer, most plastic protectant materials like Armor-all, 303, & such to even Pledge.

I do this each time I come home from a ride & ALWAYS use a clean cotten piece of cotten (often one of my many retired T-shirts). On the hwy I will clean the above again at half-way point to even more often if I am bing splattered by bugs FOR I carry one of the cleaning liquids & rags under my seat. DO NOT use the same rag time & time again for they are so easy to wash by hand & AVOID the normal paper rags as they will scratch the plastic visor. I have something like 10 or 12 cotten rags around all the time.

So you are going to say "--but this was rain----" & I will agree that rain is a bummer, STILL with a clean visor & with the speed up a bit just turning the head left or right & most of the rain (which is also road crap thowen by cages) will run off WITH a well cleaned visor for it will be slippery.

At home I use Pledge & that also allows me to put more of it on the helmet itself & they look 100% new with no scratches.

Said visors can last a long time if the above is done. For instance I have a 1 yr old & believe it is a 3 - 4 yr old Shoei only fitted with visors that are around 6 yrs old while the new ones are stored away for future use.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-19-2004, 10:46 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Smitty
Two answers being FIRST that one must keep their visor CLEAN & NO SCRATCHES.

Second would be by keeping the visor above cleaned constantly. One can use Plexus, SlipStreamer, most plastic protectant materials like Armor-all, 303, & such to even Pledge.

I do this each time I come home from a ride & ALWAYS use a clean cotten piece of cotten (often one of my many retired T-shirts). On the hwy I will clean the above again at half-way point to even more often if I am bing splattered by bugs FOR I carry one of the cleaning liquids & rags under my seat. DO NOT use the same rag time & time again for they are so easy to wash by hand & AVOID the normal paper rags as they will scratch the plastic visor. I have something like 10 or 12 cotten rags around all the time.

So you are going to say "--but this was rain----" & I will agree that rain is a bummer, STILL with a clean visor & with the speed up a bit just turning the head left or right & most of the rain (which is also road crap thowen by cages) will run off WITH a well cleaned visor for it will be slippery.

At home I use Pledge & that also allows me to put more of it on the helmet itself & they look 100% new with no scratches.

Said visors can last a long time if the above is done. For instance I have a 1 yr old & believe it is a 3 - 4 yr old Shoei only fitted with visors that are around 6 yrs old while the new ones are stored away for future use.
Thanks for the info!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-19-2004, 08:13 PM

i'm pretty sure the rainx package said specifically not to use it on plastic,
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-20-2004, 09:20 AM

FYI to those who use rain-x, I have used is from time to time after a cleaning if I KNOW that I'll be riding in the rain in the next couple of days. I have noticed a slight difference in the screen clearing but not enough to make go out and buy the stuff (I steal it from my brother). Smitty's explanation works! I ride in the rain all the time (no cage-no choice)

Rain-X recently changed there formula, and it is DEFINITLY NOT to be used on plastic!!! I watch as my buddy scrub for an hour trying to get the new stuff off, which completely screwed his visor.

I'll Sleep when I'm Dead....

Spread the love. Literally.

My hoes are motivated and my teeth are gold plated

Friends help you move...
Real friends help you move bodies!

“Next time I want to borrow your balls, I’LL ASK!!!!”
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode