carving the twisties - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-16-2004, 09:30 PM Thread Starter

carving the twisties

well this past weekend...i was trying to hone my riding skills on a back country road and while going through the curves i was transferring my weight to the inside of the curve while leaning forward against the tank....in turn being able to grib the bars very lightly.....i found like this i can take a turn faster without having to lean the bike over as far.....i want to say first that i wasnt traveling at outragous speeds...well under the police speed cushion.....

is this a proper way to corner or am i headed towards disaster?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-16-2004, 11:55 PM
Dad

Sounds about right. Are you consciously picking your turn in point with a plan, hitting the apex with a plan, then looking to the exit? Did you feel the difference that getting your weight inside allows you to be light on the bars?

Keep working the technique stuff, not speed. Enter plenty slow, at least slow enough that you KNOW it's OK then, once you get the lean set, smooth throttle apply as soon as you can. Smooth and gradual increase through the bend will usually be OK but at least throttle picked up to neutral around the apex. You'll start to get the feel and realize how well the bike works when you get it right. Then the speed will just happen at about the same comfort level, no panic, because everything is working. DON'T be impatient with this part of your learning curve and be sure to keep it all smooooooth and look far enough through the bend.

Have you picked up any of the books? They can help if you're willing to work on it as you seem to be.

Keeping the "Hap" in "Happy Holidays"!

Regime change begins at home.

Blind patriotism is worse than no patriotism.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-17-2004, 04:10 AM Thread Starter

thanks dad.....i have a little book on road racing that shows the apex's of commone turns and how to take them...its a very small book but it has seem to work well in that aspect.....like you said i am taking it slow to work on technique and i need to crawl before i can walk much less run...

i always wanted to get the books a twist of the wris by keith code...i head that was one was pretty good..

thanks again

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-17-2004, 08:46 AM Thread Starter

does anyone know where i can find some superbike video to study the techniques of other riders....besides the trailer to Faster Movie..

thanks
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-17-2004, 02:24 PM
Dad

Quote:
Originally posted by AudioSolstice
does anyone know where i can find some superbike video to study the techniques of other riders....besides the trailer to Faster Movie..

thanks
While things like that might have a limited value, it's really a feel and mental thing that makes it all work and you can't get that from watching a video.

It's the same thing that's wrong with trying to follow a more experienced rider to "follow his lines". You can't see where he's looking, what subtle braking or gas adjustments were made, the bar input to the lean he desired, the exact point he turned in, etc.etc.

Read the principles and techniques until you understand the intent, then much practicing like described previously to make them reflexive and yours. That may sound tough but it's really true. A lot of what's going on is subtle on input but has major outcomes. You need to practice a lot, taking it easy, until you acquire the feel for what's right. It will come if you keep practicing. Working in increments can be OK. Lines one time, body position another time, eye focus another time, etc, but it's all part of a package, and always in your comfort level. You'll have different milestones as you do it. You'll be working a technique for a while and then one day it will finally click. You'll be all, "Oh yeah".

This is the point of continuous warning to newbies. It's NOT to be critical or dampen their fun. There's a LOT to learn to do this right and balls has nothing to do with it. It's ALL technique and the investment in time, study, and practice to get it right. You have to LEARN a whole set of reflexes that are NOT natural. In fact, it's the NATURAL reflexes that cause many of the problems and will be trouble until they're un-learned. Not an easy task, going against mother nature. Lot's of miles, continually working on it. Good luck.

Keeping the "Hap" in "Happy Holidays"!

Regime change begins at home.

Blind patriotism is worse than no patriotism.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-17-2004, 03:23 PM Thread Starter

thanks for the insightful advice dad.....always here to lend a helping hand....i will take your advice and hopefully one day i might be able to ride with anyone..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode