Fuel System Cleaner - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-15-2004, 06:08 PM Thread Starter

Fuel System Cleaner

allrighty i run B-12 Chemtool in my truck every oil change to clean out the fuel system, clean injectors, etc...

would it be good for my bike if i put in the reccomended dosage in my bikes fuel also?

thanks

Product

Last edited by AudioSolstice; 03-15-2004 at 08:11 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-15-2004, 09:42 PM

AS: Correct me if I am wrong but your CBR-F3 is with carbs & not fuel injection system. Is it not the F4i with last letter indicating injection system?
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-16-2004, 03:54 AM
S370HSSV 0773H

Send a message via Yahoo to spicersh
I could be way off here, but aren't some of those products unfriendly to aluminum parts, like motorcycle motors? Again, I could be full of shit, I just thought I remembered someone telling me that a while back.

As far as how much, the bottle should say how many gallons it treats. I'd just scale it back using that. Example:

If 8 oz treats 20 gallons, then 4 oz would treat 10 gallons....and so on and so forth. I could be wrong on that account also, in which case disregard my entire post.

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all of fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomanical, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully. - Richard Dawkins, The God Delusion

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-16-2004, 06:20 AM Thread Starter

yes you are right smitty my bike is carbed.....

and its 1 ounce for every gallon teh bottle says....

i was just wondering if my fuel system would benefit from it...
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-16-2004, 08:35 AM

I am not aware of any pistons that are not made of aluminum in OEM engines of cars, bikes, lawn mowers, etc. So these fuel additives have to be friendly to AL.

If you use it every fuel tank in any vehicle you are going to make your oil a lot dirtier. Try using it a couple times per oil change.

I have used Chemtool in cars and my lawn mowers, and it works great. Amsoil's fuel additive is also very good, as is Chevron Techrolene in the bottle (which says on it that it can make the oil dirty if used more than twice during an oil interval).

Fuster

"...If you can meet with triumph and disaster, and treat those two imposters the same....you'll be a Man, my Son!"

- Rudyard Kipling
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-16-2004, 08:47 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
[i]

If you use it every fuel tank in any vehicle you are going to make your oil a lot dirtier. Try using it a couple times per oil change.

[/B]

i get roughly 300 miles to a tank....you think i should put it in the first and fifth tank after an oil change?
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-16-2004, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by AudioSolstice
i get roughly 300 miles to a tank....you think i should put it in the first and fifth tank after an oil change?
Hey, if that works for you in terms of spacing during the oil interval, sounds fine to me.

I really feel that you probably don't need to spend the moolah on that stuff by putting it in every tank anyway in terms of cleaning. If you ride regularly and drain the carb fuel bowls (if you had carbs) in the winter when not in use, the system should stay clean with the "two per oil change" routine.

I know that when I took off my carburetors from my ZR1100 this winter, they were spotless, and that bike was purchased new in 1993 and it sits most of the year (it only has 7600 miles on it). And some years I did not drain the fuel bowls. I only use fuel additive a few times a season and run stale gas from the prior season. Of course, now that I spent a fortune on engine top end work, I probably will not be doing that any more!

Fuster

"...If you can meet with triumph and disaster, and treat those two imposters the same....you'll be a Man, my Son!"

- Rudyard Kipling
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-16-2004, 12:17 PM Thread Starter

thanks fuster.....i never have to put my bike up for the winter b/c in south louisiana it never got cold enough to freeze water this winter...so i always have fresh fuel running in it

you said you had to do tons of top end work.. what happened?
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-16-2004, 10:12 PM

What happened was the bike looks brand new and I had this money burning a hole in my pocket.

I read an article back in 1993 or 1994, after I bought the bike, titled: "Standards on Steroids" in Cycle World. I still have the issue. They took a few standards and ran articles on different racing outfits making them into juiced up monsters. When I saw my bike doing a big wheelie with a four into one system, I drooled. Vance & Hines took my bike and did stuff I wanted to do, so I finally paid Zlock to do some of it. The rest of what V&H did was too radical for longevity or street use (and Dan did not think it would be a good fit for my intended use, which is commuting or riding to Houston, TX or Lake Charles, LA or Florida, etc.).

Vance and Hines got 176 crankshaft horsepower from my bike motor. That is serious power. I have not dynoed my bike but it definitely has a substantial boost in power, which is all I wanted.

The motor was fine, I just wanted to make it more powerful.

Fuster

- Rudyard Kipling
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-16-2004, 10:17 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by fuster
What happened was the bike looks brand new and I had this money burning a hole in my pocket.

I read an article back in 1993 or 1994, after I bought the bike, titled: "Standards on Steroids" in Cycle World. I still have the issue. They took a few standards and ran articles on different racing outfits making them into juiced up monsters. When I saw my bike doing a big wheelie with a four into one system, I drooled. Vance & Hines took my bike and did stuff I wanted to do, so I finally paid Zlock to do some of it. The rest of what V&H did was too radical for longevity or street use (and Dan did not think it would be a good fit for my intended use, which is commuting or riding to Houston, TX or Lake Charles, LA or Florida, etc.).

Vance and Hines got 176 crankshaft horsepower from my bike motor. That is serious power. I have not dynoed my bike but it definitely has a substantial boost in power, which is all I wanted.

The motor was fine, I just wanted to make it more powerful.
thats what i like to hear man.....nothing like tweeking up things! btw it sounds like your bike is awesome
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode