I pods.... - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-12-2004, 06:38 AM Thread Starter

I pods....

Hey... I've got a friend who has an Ipod that he uses when he rides... he has the ear phones in under his helmet... I was just kinda wondering everyones oppinion on this... I listen to my stereo in my truck LOUD!... but I know doing this I've gotta pay attention to the other cars around me more.... I'm just wondering sence it's so dangerous to ride (interms of looking out for cars) that is it worth the risk in your eyes to use the Ipod for short trips 30min or less?.... just wondering

~B~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-12-2004, 07:18 AM

Driving a cage is simply compared to a m/c for a slight error or laps in thinking is enough to put the rider & bike all over the road while in a cage is nothing & most might be a minor fender-bender as cage stays upright with drive inside & protected.

While I have cassettes supply jazz or blues runing in my cage the volumn is very low for even in a cage the concentration is on the road & traffic.

To have music being pumped into my ear even at low volumn would be removing my concentration on the road & traffic for I feel 100% concentration on the road/taffic is a MUST to stay alive. So NO to pumping music into my mind along with trying to ride. Others will probably disagree, but I am speaking with my 58th year of riding coming up in a few weeks.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-12-2004, 07:35 AM

one of the reasons why i ride is to escape. i like hearing the sound of my bike and the wind. thats all.

SQUID=Stupidly Quick, Underdressed, & Imminently Dead

Katie has a nice "spice rack".

If you can read this, thank a teacher....If you're reading this in English, thank a Veteran.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-12-2004, 08:06 AM

Send a message via AIM to SlowCBR
I have listened to music while riding a few times. I plan to use it more often for my 30-40 minute commute to school when the weather gets warmer. If I keep the volume at a decent level, the music just serves as background noise and doesn't act as a distraction. It's especially useful in traffic or on the highway where listening to your own thoughts can get boring. When I'm riding some of my favorite local roads, I don't need the music.

I use a MP3 player in my jacket along with a headphone cord extension with headphones wedged and velcroed in my helmet. I also bought an inline volume control extension where I can quickly turn down or turn off the music without digging in my jacket. My only problem right now is that the headphone cord extension is 20ft long (that was the only one available) so it is a bit bulky in my jacket.

Just as a disclaimer, if you're just starting off riding (you don't have a bike listed in your profile), keep possible distractions to a minimum.

-Jon
'06 Honda CBR 1000 RR -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-12-2004, 11:53 AM

For any grunt (short) run I still use soft ear plugs to cut down the noise even though I have good fitting Shoei helmets for the wind can deafen a person in a very short while. Naturally on longer runs as well for the stress is taken off when the wind noise is trimmed down.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-12-2004, 11:57 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by SlowCBR
Just as a disclaimer, if you're just starting off riding (you don't have a bike listed in your profile), keep possible distractions to a minimum.
Yeah... I think I'll be too buisy trying to keep me on top of the bike instead of vice versa!... I was just wondering....what some of your views were.... thanks

~B~
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-12-2004, 01:03 PM

Send a message via AIM to Tippmann Send a message via Yahoo to Tippmann
I like to listen to music on med to long length rides (20+ mins). It's not really worth hooking up the stuff for a quick shot around town to pick up some curb monkies.

As for listening to cars, I usually can't hear them on my bike anyway. And I don't think the music distracts me that much ( Unless TaTu comes on, then I have to pull over and punch the clown)

Quote:
Originally posted by sidewaysducati
SWIPE THE CARD GRANDMA!!!
SWIPE THE GODDAMNED CARD!!!!
WARNING
If you are reading this then this warning is for you. Every word you read of this useless fine print is another second off your life. Don't you have other things to do? Is your life so empty that you honestly can't think of a better way to spend these moments? Or are you so impressed with authority that you give respect and credence to all who claim it? Do you read everything you're supposed to read? Do you think everything you're supposed to think? Buy what you're told you should want? Get out of your apartment. Meet a member of the opposite sex. Stop the excessive shopping and masturbation. Quit your job. Start a fight. Prove you're alive. If you don't claim your humanity you will become a statistic. You have been warned...... Tyler
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-12-2004, 09:47 PM

I was on another board when this very matter came up. Several pointed out that the whatever you use to listen to music will be so muffled by the wind that you will need to hike up the volumn even more & in no way will that help cut down the damage by the wind.

One did mentions that possibly ones that are inserted into the ears might be the answer.

So I leave it at that & it is up to you.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-15-2004, 01:34 PM

I listen to music when I ride, but only on the highway and on trips over 1hr. I use sony EP-L something earphones, they actually work as earplugs (I use them as that with the music turned off) so I can both hear the music and save my hearing.

For perspective, our highways here are 1 lane in each direction, very empty and very straight. When I get into populated areas or more complex driving situations (more lanes, more intersecting roads or more twisty) I turn the music off and the plugs function just as earplugs.

Beginning riding, you really won't want the music. You'll probably feel like your travelling at lightspeed the first time you get up to highway/freeway speed and that can take awhile to get used to. If you're new, this is definately something I wouldn't worry about at this point, music only makes riding harder undeniably.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-16-2004, 05:51 PM

One thing about the Ipod is its a hard drive. I woudl suggest getting a mp3 player that has static memory(memory sticks) The ipod has moving parts and a bump or to can cause the head of the hard drive to become misalligned, there for rending the device useless. hard drives are just like CD's but are read like a record with a needle, not a laser.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode