Best way to haul your bike? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-11-2004, 07:22 PM Thread Starter

Question Best way to haul your bike?

What is the best way to haul a bike?

My car can't tow anything. I considered getting a Pick up but think they are kind of high. How do you get the bike down by yourself?

Something like the old El Camino but restyled. A bed the size of a pick up yet low to the ground and you can still drive like a car?

Or a sports car specifically designed so it converts to carry a bike in a narrow low bed on the passenger side. A transformer that is more than meets the eye. Lets get the Homer Simpsons on the design of this car right away!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-11-2004, 08:34 PM

i put my bike in my truck bed....tie her down on the triple tree with ancra ties downs to the strategically located tie downs built in the bed and then close the tail gate and ready to rock....i can safely but teh bike in on level ground by myself but i would rather have someone tehre for safety
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-12-2004, 04:20 AM

Send a message via AIM to wantanaprilia
Re: Best way to haul your bike?

Quote:
Originally posted by Snake
What is the best way to haul a bike?

My car can't tow anything. I considered getting a Pick up but think they are kind of high. How do you get the bike down by yourself?

Something like the old El Camino but restyled. A bed the size of a pick up yet low to the ground and you can still drive like a car?

Or a sports car specifically designed so it converts to carry a bike in a narrow low bed on the passenger side. A transformer that is more than meets the eye. Lets get the Homer Simpsons on the design of this car right away!
Ever heard of a Chevy S-10? Ford Ranger? Dodge Dakota? Toyota Tacoma? Nissan Frontier?

Look . . . the people you are after are the people you depend on. We cook your meals, we haul your trash, we connect your calls, we drive your ambulances, we guard you while you sleep. Do not fu|< with us.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-12-2004, 04:55 AM

I haven't considered transportation that much myself, but when I got my first bike I looked up a lot of options. I wondered if anyone used one of those things you hook to a trailer hitch that holds the front tire up, and the rear tire gets pulled like a trailer. I was not totally conviced that was good for the bike drive train, or if stress on the frame while turning would be harmful. After all, the bike doesn't lean to turn, it turns with the car by the headset turning.

When you mention a small sporty car with a bed I think of a Subaru Brat (old car) or a Subaru Baha. The bed is very short, but I supose you could have the forks over the roof, and the rear wheel secured in the bed. I know the Baha has a bed extender.

Here's the Baha link - Subaru Baha

And here is a few Brat pictures I found -

Subaru Brat
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-12-2004, 09:33 AM

This site will make custom racks for your bike

check this site out. He will custom build a rack to fit your bike.

http://www.rgfabrication.com/products.htm

Larry
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-12-2004, 09:41 AM
S370HSSV 0773H

Send a message via Yahoo to spicersh
How far are you taking your bike? Can't you just ride it? Way more fun that way. If you do haul it, can I sit on it and make "vroom vroom" noises while you drive?

The smaller pickups mentioned above are all good. Can you not put a small hitch on your car though? U-Haul should be able to do it and you can buy or build a small trailer, all for a lot less than the cost of a new truck.

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all of fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomanical, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully. - Richard Dawkins, The God Delusion
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-12-2004, 01:07 PM

Send a message via AIM to Tippmann Send a message via Yahoo to Tippmann
A car would have to be heli-crappy(yeah i said heli) not to be able to tow a 400lb bike on a trailor. Unless you're afraid of your bike being exposed to the elements on the ride, a trailor is the way to go if you don't want a truck.

Quote:
Originally posted by sidewaysducati
SWIPE THE CARD GRANDMA!!!
SWIPE THE GODDAMNED CARD!!!!
WARNING
If you are reading this then this warning is for you. Every word you read of this useless fine print is another second off your life. Don't you have other things to do? Is your life so empty that you honestly can't think of a better way to spend these moments? Or are you so impressed with authority that you give respect and credence to all who claim it? Do you read everything you're supposed to read? Do you think everything you're supposed to think? Buy what you're told you should want? Get out of your apartment. Meet a member of the opposite sex. Stop the excessive shopping and masturbation. Quit your job. Start a fight. Prove you're alive. If you don't claim your humanity you will become a statistic. You have been warned...... Tyler
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-12-2004, 03:32 PM Thread Starter

My car is a BMW 325 which evidently is not designed for towing. I can't even get one reply on the BMW forum about how much it tows.

I'll probably end up getting a small used truck such as the S-10, Tacoma type because they are usefull for so much else, but I was looking for what creative solutions others might have. That Subaru Baha is close if you took the passenger seat out and cut the roof to exactly fit the bike windshield.

Also, if they made the S-10 or Tacoma cab versions convert like some of the larger trucks with cabs that convert for larger bed area.

I live in Dallas but like to ride in Colorado/ Utah and only have short vacations to do it. Only when the weather is good in Colorado it is 105 in Texas. Not fun especially when your wearing cold riding gear for the Colorado portion of the trip. Before I got an MV Agusta I made several trips on the nice comfy VFR and it still sucked for the Texas part. Have to do 700 miles to Pueblo in one day to have a decent amount of time to ride in Colorado. All sucky straight roads until Colorado.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode