accelerating hard out of a turn - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-09-2004, 07:12 PM Thread Starter

accelerating hard out of a turn

allrighty i wanted some advice on this situation from ya'll experienced people.

here it goes....when accelerating out of a turn in 1st gear hard on th wick, my front end wobbles slightly as if the front tyre is rising off the ashphalt giving the tyre a smaller contact patch on the raod thus causing the slight shake.....so i run it like that untill i have to shift to 2nd then the front lies down a bit and no more shake....(actuly the shake stops when i pull the clutch and let off the gas) the back end doesnt feel at all like its sliding out....what is this phenomenon.?

thjanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-09-2004, 10:52 PM

Head shake. One of the reasons they make steering dampeners. Its caused by a varity of things that are normally dampened out by the tire touching the ground. It can happen on rapid engine braking as well. Its just the forces applied to the front end being out of balance. If it gets really bad its a tank slapper, from the clip-ons beating against the tank (even if they cant touch the tank, you get the idea.) when its that bad it usually means you're about to crash.
Heres a quick search article.
http://www.directparts.com/static/goose/handling.htm
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-10-2004, 12:36 AM
Dad

Damper yes, but be careful accellerating that hard in first out of a bend. It's easy to break the rear loose as well as lift the front. You might just shift up to second as it probably has all of the power available that you should use in a bend and would save the shift on the exit, coming in just about right as you're standing up on the exit where it might take it. It's always hard to say without seeing the specific road conditions but it's pretty safe to say that aggressive throttle while cornering in first is a no-no. Be careful.

Keeping the "Hap" in "Happy Holidays"!

Regime change begins at home.

Blind patriotism is worse than no patriotism.

Last edited by Dad; 03-10-2004 at 01:00 AM.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-10-2004, 05:48 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Dad
Damper yes, but be careful accellerating that hard in first out of a bend. It's easy to break the rear loose as well as lift the front. You might just shift up to second as it probably has all of the power available that you should use in a bend and would save the shift on the exit, coming in just about right as you're standing up on the exit where it might take it. It's always hard to say without seeing the specific road conditions but it's pretty safe to say that aggressive throttle while cornering in first is a no-no. Be careful.
thanks for the advice....yes like you said dad it happens when the bike is almost stood up and at the very end of the curve....it happened a couple of times i try not to make a business out of it
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-10-2004, 01:20 PM

Dad is so right. If you are turning the wick up to almost full chat when in 1st or 2nd cog well naturally the front wheel is striving to take off into the air, YET that can also mean the rear end can break & try to pass the front which will sent you on your ear very quickly.

I had seen a few chaps on sportbikes cranking the 'ell out of them at bends especially if there are homes close by & that is strictly "showing off" as the home owners will hear the screaming of the engines with the help of LOUD after-market cans.

I have been following behind them & noticed I went into the sharp bends probaly a bit faster & came out probably a bit faster as well. Why some go down to 1st or 2nd cog is beyond me for I will take my bike through at a swifter pace in 3rd or 4th gear & not have it screaming close to red-line to often not even 'on pipe'.

Trying to throw a sportbike or any bike around at fast paces makes me wondering is someone trying to sell themselves on being a sort of road racer or what? After all there are given speed limits & look at our bikes with 6 speeds & not 2 or 3 as back in the late 40s to early 50s.

First gear is used strictly for a take off gear & then a neat slip into 2nd to where 3rd can be reached & on & on it goes ------ all at sensible revs for one should not be trying to crank the 'ell out of the bike unless they are on a ROAD RACING CIRCUIT for there is where one can go at it full chat, but NOT in town or on the public roads.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-11-2004, 11:31 AM

When I was a relatively new rider I found trying to shift mid / late turn was distracting and I wound up upsetting my bike. I practiced setting a good speed going into a turn and staying on the throttle mid-turn so as to avoid scrubbing off too much speed. I think you'll find, as you gain more skill and confidence (in yourself and the bike) you'll enter corners a little hotter and maintain that speed without dropping RPMs, thereby avoiding this problem. This way you won't need to be in first (unless it's a really tight turn) and you're exit speed and RPMs will allow a nice smooth acceleration out of the apex.

Early on I rode the same big sweeper again and again, each time hanging off and counter-steering a little more aggressively to see what I was capable of. (In fact, every Spring I still do that to get rid of winter rust.)

You seem to be on the right track by asking these questions. I would just say don't worry too much about speed. Focus on technique and being smooth, and the speed will come without you even knowing it.

Good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode