Cold excursion - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-08-2004, 04:18 PM Thread Starter

Cold excursion

I rode to work today. It only got as high as 38F today, but I found the faring on my bike, and bundling up, made it not so bad. My hands didn't even freeze, although they were cold. I never felt numb. The ride was only about 15 or 20 minutes, with only a mile or two on the freeway. I think unless it is snowing, or below freezing (literally), I'm seeing less and less reason to not ride on a given day. Tomorrow calls for more of the same weather, and I plan to ride again. I did have a moment of doubt though. While on the highway stetch I had a bit of wet snow, but it stopped quickly, and the road was to warm for it to stick.

Cheers!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-08-2004, 07:24 PM

Send a message via AIM to Tippmann Send a message via Yahoo to Tippmann
This is a little below my riding limit. I think I'll go for a ride at the end of the week when it warms up a little.

Quote:
Originally posted by sidewaysducati
SWIPE THE CARD GRANDMA!!!
SWIPE THE GODDAMNED CARD!!!!
WARNING
If you are reading this then this warning is for you. Every word you read of this useless fine print is another second off your life. Don't you have other things to do? Is your life so empty that you honestly can't think of a better way to spend these moments? Or are you so impressed with authority that you give respect and credence to all who claim it? Do you read everything you're supposed to read? Do you think everything you're supposed to think? Buy what you're told you should want? Get out of your apartment. Meet a member of the opposite sex. Stop the excessive shopping and masturbation. Quit your job. Start a fight. Prove you're alive. If you don't claim your humanity you will become a statistic. You have been warned...... Tyler
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-09-2004, 05:44 AM
S370HSSV 0773H

Send a message via Yahoo to spicersh
While in California it would get up into the 80's and 90's during the day, it was still mid to low 40's at nights, so I had to ride in to work in that every morning. The key to cold riding is to layer your clothing. I would have a long sleeve shirt, a fleece, a jacket, and then a heavy coat on almost every day. Just take a backpack or bungee tie-downs to hold the extra stuff for the ride home. I rode about 65 miles each way like that and loved every minute of it. Just make sure the tires are good and warmed up before hitting any twisties you may encounter on your way to/from work.

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all of fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomanical, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully. - Richard Dawkins, The God Delusion

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-09-2004, 10:47 AM

Some Kimpex grip heaters at $25 and a Gerbings heated jacket at <$180 will make you so toasty that you can ride in the 30s indefinitely. My commute is 50 miles each way and I got three full commutes in last week in NH. One morning was 40, on was 34 and one was 30. I was never cold. Hitting ice sucks though. Ice is my gating factor, if there's a chance of ice (we get a lot of it here) I leave the bike at home and take my car which is equipped with studded snow tires.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-09-2004, 01:34 PM

Tempted to take the bike to-day only that would require an hr plus to re-insure it & I know the beauty of yesterday was going to change to colder weather.

So down to the lumber yard in Penticton to buy, order plywood & 2X4s at GHASTLY high prices along with some dust maskes for those at the gun Club in the next week plus or a lot of work.

I noticed this BIG cloud of dust & it almost looked like another slide of the clay banks ONLY this was in the city. Turns out it was all the crap from a power-driven sweeper ----- that shows how much crap is on the paved roads to take a rider down. Little wonder I am not riding YET.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-10-2004, 03:59 AM

Smitty,

We had snow and ice over the last couple of days and all the sand that was swept up just the week before is back. Could hardly see my road yesterday morning. I gotta another few weeks to wait for good riding weather. Last week was nice while it lasted. I keep my bikes insured year round. Not very expensive to do so here in NH.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-10-2004, 01:24 PM

Same here I feel. For to-day was the first bit of trying to clean up the crap in my town & man I could hardly believe the large rocks that were now in the middle of the street, being as large as one's fist when closed so no wonder I refer to it as salt, sand/gravel. I even drove my cage around them rather then hit them with any wheel. Things like that are an eye-opener to every m/cist.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode