California edition bikes - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-06-2004, 05:15 PM Thread Starter

Question California edition bikes

Hey all... I've been looking into getting the SV650s... and was looking at the specs.... I noticed that the bikes that are sold in Cali... are down 5hp... is this for smog reasons?.... I'm stationed in Cali. but I'm a resident of Oregon... so I thought I could save myself some money and buy the bike in Oregon (no sales tax) and bring it down to Cali... but if it's not gonna pass the emissions test it's kinda pointless cause I need a California certificate to get a base pass .... I talked to the dealership and they said I could take delivery in Boom town Nevada... if need be but then I've still gotta take it back UP to Oregon to get it licensed and back down to base.... Also if the -5hp is because of emissions wouldn't that be fixed by putting on an aftermarket exhaust? if so would a slip on do it or would it have to be a full system?... quite a few questions I know... but I really do appreciate it

~B~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-06-2004, 07:56 PM

If your DL is an Oregon lic..and your considered a Or. resident, then you shouldn't have any problems bring the bike to cali, or getting it reg'd...Now if you are a cali resident, with a CA. DL..then any bike you buy outta state, needs to have at least 7500 miles on the clock, and there's NO smog test...in most cases you can reg outta stae bikes here, as most of the DMV clerks aren't checking for mileage...You buys the bike, and takes your chances..

Old, Slow, but ...Smooth
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-06-2004, 08:03 PM Thread Starter

Naw... the thing is... I'm required by the AF to show proof of passing the California Smog.... inorder to get a base pass.... but I am an Oregon resident... sorry should have made that clearer... anyways... I'm just wondering if anyone would know if the bikes purchased outside Cali would pass smog IN Cali.... thanks for the reply though Bro...

~B~

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-06-2004, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ebbs15
Naw... the thing is... I'm required by the AF to show proof of passing the California Smog.... inorder to get a base pass.... but I am an Oregon resident... sorry should have made that clearer... anyways... I'm just wondering if anyone would know if the bikes purchased outside Cali would pass smog IN Cali.... thanks for the reply though Bro...

~B~
I see...

I'm not aware of any smog tests done to bikes..none of mine had to be smog tested....anyway, re: your question about cali bikes, yes they have all the smog crap on em..unlike bikes in other states...

Old, Slow, but ...Smooth
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-06-2004, 08:43 PM Thread Starter

GRASSY ASS!

~B~
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-06-2004, 09:10 PM

Not answering the question directly, here in Maricopa County, Arizona, we have smog tests on the bikes. Visual inspection for the smog equipment (like they can tell if the plumbing is actually serviceable), and the not-so-bright folks at the station don't realize what an aftermarket exhaust means for a catcon. For the consumption of the ones who do know what that means, it's a good idea to keep your stock exhaust (and not junk or eBay it) for the annual smog check.

Anyway, the bike has to make the numbers at idle, or failing that, at 2000 RPM. They don't dyno the bikes like they do cars in AZ, so it's in neutral.

I bet Ebbs15 that his 48-state bike will pass the inspection in Cali, and that you can easily control the pilot screws to pass at idle if you must get the bike sniffed in any state. I further bet the Provost Marshal has a contingency plan in case his bike doesn't pass Cali emissions with an Oregon plate.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-10-2004, 04:32 AM

If OR. is your home of record then get it titled up there, im in the military and have all my toys regestered in a nother state they have to allow it just ask them about the PCS policy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode