02 GSX-R 750, how far off are the hash marks? Adjusting chain need help. - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-03-2004, 08:49 AM Thread Starter

02 GSX-R 750, how far off are the hash marks? Adjusting chain need help.

I am trying to alighn my rear wheels, the string method is to confusing for me. How do i eye down the sproket to see if it is going straight? also my sporcket seems to ride the inside of the chain more then the out side, which way would I want to adjust the rim to center teh chain? thanks

2002 B&W GSX-R 750,Graves Full Ti System, PC 3 R,TRE "Switchable",CR9EIX Iridium, Galfer SS brake lines,Framesliders, L&P Intergrator kit, L&P front flush mounts,ZG DB smoked screen,86Z28 redone from the ground up and worked, Ready for road racing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-03-2004, 09:06 AM

The hash marks are not a good thing to rely on....sometimes they can be way off. I have found mine to be almost true, but maybe a very short short hair off. I usually measure it on both sides with a caliper and get it set right, but there is no real difference between that and using the hash marks on mine, I just like it to be measured out and right. Do some searching, there are thread on the net about using the string method of getting the wheel set right.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-03-2004, 09:26 AM

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-03-2004, 10:30 AM
jrm

If someone told you their bike (same make/model/year as yours) had alignment marks that were 1/2" off and you set your bike up according to their bike's offage, you'd probably be screwed. The reason the marks are off is due to production tolerances, wear and damage. Each bike will be different and many may be spot on.

String method is simple. Perhaps seeing it done once would make more sense of it. There are also specific tools (Motion Pro?) that measure exact distance from swingarm pivot center to rear axle center. You measure one side and compare it to other side.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode