Ever been bitten by a dog while on a bike - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums
View Poll Results: Ever Been Bitten By a Dog While Riding?
Nope! 24 77.42%
Yes, while on the move! 4 12.90%
Yes, while stopped! 3 9.68%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-28-2004, 11:17 AM Thread Starter

Ever been bitten by a dog while on a bike

I was at a hotel once talking to this lady that had a what seemed like a very frendly dog with her. When I started the bike the dog turned into Kujo and bit the $hit out of my leg. He got a couple of bites in before I got out of there and chased me out of the parking lot. I really didn't do anything about the attack cause the lady was so sorry about what had happened. Sure wanted to kick the crap out of the dog though. Good thing I don't carry!

A few ccs short of a full litre.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-28-2004, 01:37 PM

Send a message via AIM to Tippmann Send a message via Yahoo to Tippmann
I had one run out from the side of the road and try to get me, or maybe it was just chasing the bike. Either way I gunned it and easily moved away from him. He chased me until I got out of sight though.

Quote:
Originally posted by sidewaysducati
SWIPE THE CARD GRANDMA!!!
SWIPE THE GODDAMNED CARD!!!!
WARNING
If you are reading this then this warning is for you. Every word you read of this useless fine print is another second off your life. Don't you have other things to do? Is your life so empty that you honestly can't think of a better way to spend these moments? Or are you so impressed with authority that you give respect and credence to all who claim it? Do you read everything you're supposed to read? Do you think everything you're supposed to think? Buy what you're told you should want? Get out of your apartment. Meet a member of the opposite sex. Stop the excessive shopping and masturbation. Quit your job. Start a fight. Prove you're alive. If you don't claim your humanity you will become a statistic. You have been warned...... Tyler
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-28-2004, 05:08 PM

I had one run out at me, so I stopped the bike, got off, and he stopped and just stared at me: he didn't know what to do! I thought that's what would happen, and I got a good laugh out of it.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-28-2004, 05:49 PM

never bitten... but had one that would run out in front of me everyday on my way in from work... almost caused me to go down a few times..... till one day i let him get close to me and i kicked him into the ditch... i never seemed to have a problem with him again...
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-28-2004, 09:37 PM

Just think of riding since 1945 to now, also think of way back then there was no control over dogs & believe me many a dog has caused me to prang a m/c.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-29-2004, 08:22 AM

No, but I've been charged by a very pissed off, possible rabid Oppossum.

My wife and I were riding 2 summers ago on some back country roads. Damn thing wouldn't get out of the way so I had to stop. Before I knew it It started going for my leg. I had to hurry up and shift my weight to the other side and pull out before it got me. Try and explain that one to the ER Docs.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-29-2004, 01:15 PM

Since getting my bike last summer, I've only had one dog come at me. I was rounding a 90-degree left turn when I saw him charging across his front yard. (Having seen the dog many times since, I know now he's a much smaller dog that I thought he was the first time. ) Anyway, I far enough through the turn to gun it and easily get away from him.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-29-2004, 05:34 PM

I have a maze of dog VS m/cist stores in my riding days.

Really last was when dogs were properly constricted to one's home & never out of the home other then on a leash & even the owner had to carry along the dog's crap bag & scoop it up.

I'm coming up this twisty hill to my home & this twit actually sicked his German Shephard dog at me, so I went down a gear & turned up the wick.

Sure enough he did it a week later, so this time I am looking for this incident, went down two cogs, turned up the wick & with right leg & boot out the dog went flying as I nailed it in the shoulder.

RCMP casually told me he put in a complaint as I had intentially kicked (only tried to "kick" a dog once & that is a different story & experience) so it had to be put away as that badly injured. They simply asked him what was his dog doing out on the road chasing a m/cist under the town's laws? End of complaint.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-01-2004, 06:17 AM
Dad

The MSF course teaches to slow a bit, let the dog start his charge on that trajectory, then gas it. The dog will remain on his original planned path to intersect and by the time he adjusts, will have missed you.

That's all well and good and reasonable attempts to avoid any animals should always be made but be prepared to just hit them. I know that sounds harsh but the reality is such that you won't be hitting many animals with reasonable avoidance efforts made. Panicked avoidance efforts are probably more hazardous to you than hitting the animal. Stay relaxed and try to have the bike upright at what would be the point of impact. If the animal's there, oh well. If not, great.

The idea of hitting anything living causes you to go into panic mode and can cause you to lock up the brakes or go off the road. You're more likely to go down from your own panic reactions than from just hitting it. Most animals you'll encounter in the road can be hit without going down and with minimal if any damage to the bike, deer and moose excepted. If you're looking down at it you can probably hit it. If you're looking up at it, well.....

Keeping the "Hap" in "Happy Holidays"!

Regime change begins at home.

Blind patriotism is worse than no patriotism.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-01-2004, 07:56 AM

riding, got lunged at, bite out of my leg, i had a passenger, kept control of the bike, went back and the dog was gone.

SQUID=Stupidly Quick, Underdressed, & Imminently Dead

Katie has a nice "spice rack".

If you can read this, thank a teacher....If you're reading this in English, thank a Veteran.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode