When will this end - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-27-2004, 04:34 PM Thread Starter

When will this end

Litre bikes seem to have the same development cycle of PC's. Every 2 years the new model makes the old obsolete. The magazines are all getting their hands on the new 100's from Honda, Kawasaki and Yamaha. Dyno results are all 130+ with projected performance numbers showing LOW 10 second quarter mile times and top speed pushing 180. Has anyone sat back and thought about this? For under 11K you can get performance that was unimaginable for a race bike 10 years ago. But, here's the catch these things are legal to ride on the street! How much further will this go before the safety Nazi's or worse the government put the kibosh on our fun little sport?

The story goes that when the first ZX10 came out years ago I think Muzzy bought one and crated it up because at that time he thought that was it. Nothing faster would be made. Here we are in ;04 and a good 600 dould give that bike a run for it money.

WHere do we go from here. What will sport bikes / riding look like in 5 years??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-27-2004, 08:32 PM

Send a message via AIM to Tippmann Send a message via Yahoo to Tippmann
I think we are in bad shape now. With all these "sportbike" movies coming out, more idiots are getting into it. That means more unexperienced people riding and wrecking, and getting killed. I would imagine this also means more people will think it's cool to run from the cops. Even now, cops know that they can't catch a sportbike on the street, and they don't like that one bit. I think that if chases and accidents go up over the next few years, we will see some government intervention

Quote:
Originally posted by sidewaysducati
SWIPE THE CARD GRANDMA!!!
SWIPE THE GODDAMNED CARD!!!!
WARNING
If you are reading this then this warning is for you. Every word you read of this useless fine print is another second off your life. Don't you have other things to do? Is your life so empty that you honestly can't think of a better way to spend these moments? Or are you so impressed with authority that you give respect and credence to all who claim it? Do you read everything you're supposed to read? Do you think everything you're supposed to think? Buy what you're told you should want? Get out of your apartment. Meet a member of the opposite sex. Stop the excessive shopping and masturbation. Quit your job. Start a fight. Prove you're alive. If you don't claim your humanity you will become a statistic. You have been warned...... Tyler
post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-28-2004, 03:56 AM

Excellent Points

snickerz and Tippmann.......Excellent points and observations.

The One D Ten T Syndrome (I-d-io-t) Idiot.

There appears to be an epidemic of this syndrome loose today.....movies, squids, politicians. lawyers, the holier than thou's, entertainers.............it's so common place it presumes to be nornmal.

My $.02

post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-28-2004, 01:02 PM

Personally, I think we are going to see the HP level off, and or drop..why ? because of the speeds these bikes can reach already, I'm sure at some point the gov't..is gonna step in and say..we have to amny accidents..or whatever excuse they wanna use to slow bike down, and lets face it..do you really want to see a 200 mph OEM bike..? Think about it, a new rider could go into a dealer...buy one, and days later be in a grave..

If you insist on a 200 mph. bike, then build one...

As for looks...I think bikes are gonna get so stealthy looking, that they won't resemble anything of today's bike, except for the wheels..

Old, Slow, but ...Smooth
post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-28-2004, 05:33 PM Thread Starter

Does anyone think these things are getting to damn uncomfortable for the street. You know things are getting a little weird when the Gixxer is rated the most comfortable bike in the class. According to conventional thinking my 01 ZX9 is a cross country touring bike compared to the latest crop.

Here is my wish list for the next generation of open classers.

1. Adjustable clip ons. 5 minure no tool switch. Raised for regular riding, dropped for aggressive riding and / or track days

2. Same adjustability for rear sets

3. Multiple maps to select from a screen on the spedo. Several tunes from low to mid rance grunt for street ridding to max rpm punch for track days.

The technology is there to provide this. Will the OEM's think ahead enough to bring it to market.

Anyone else like this idea??
post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-28-2004, 09:58 PM

snickerz when you say "--when the Gixxer is rated the most comfortable bike in the class---" I must ask if you are really saying "comfortable" in the form it is described in the dictionary or is this another way of saying "shit" & meaning very good or whatever the slang is of the young people these days? Could it be that you are going by the writing on one person that tested the bike & not the majority?

If you want true comfort from a sportbike then may I suggest you check out a Honda 929 or 954 for if(?) you are at home on a sportbike you will find a dramatic difference in the above two bikes compared to a Suzy GSXR which has the clipons very low & so far forward while the footrests are up so much higher the footrest position did not bother me, but I found it a strain to be riding the bike in town or on the hwy & come upon traffic for there was a continual strain to my neck to be able to see said traffic. That is the reason I gave up a GSXR so I could own/ride a 929 with its more sensible riding position. The Honda 929 & 954 ARE without question looked upon as being very comfortable bikes for long runs on the hwys by so many owners over bikes they have owned previously.

As for all the tricky quick changes sure I guess they could be offered IF(?) we want to pay for them. In my case it would be NO for I picked the 929 for its comfort in riding position & not in roadracing form.
post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-28-2004, 10:15 PM

Harley Davidson will eventually put enough money in some politician's pocket that they will push thru a bill in Congress to limit horsepower on sportbikes to not more than 63 horsepower. That way, Harley can build a sportbike that might compete with the rest of the manufacturers.

Of course, the bill will also create a rule that all bikes must prematurely fail from parts vibrating off, oil leaking or cam bearing failure.

Fuster

"...If you can meet with triumph and disaster, and treat those two imposters the same....you'll be a Man, my Son!"

- Rudyard Kipling
post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-29-2004, 04:04 AM

Some intresting points brought up here.First the bigger faster trend is going on all across motorcycling,look at the current trend in the cruisers,2000 cc Vulcan,1700cc Yamaha,2300cc triumph.These machines are big(huge)Most over 750lb and don't handel or stop as well as our sportbikes,yet they all have around 100 or more horsepower,and the manufactures can't make em fast enough.The current generation of liter bikes are directly tied to the raceing programs,thus the small size(most fit into the shadow of a 600) and some what uncomfortable(for us 6 foot and over people) seating/ peg arrangement.I think as far as the HP numbers if the insurance and safety Nazi's get thier way we may see HP limits like those in parts of Europe.
I feel too many people are hooked into stat sheets,lets face it 90% of the people riding these machines will never get anywhere close to using the potential of them,yeah I can already hear the argument well its there if I want it.Fine but at what point is it excessive?190hp?200hp?250hp?My answer to this argument is these are being made and sold to the masses,perhaps a little common sense needs to be used by all,other wise we may get specs rammed down our throats by the gov.
post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-29-2004, 08:06 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Smitty
snickerz when you say "--when the Gixxer is rated the most comfortable bike in the class---" I must ask if you are really saying "comfortable" in the form it is described in the dictionary or is this another way of saying "shit" & meaning very good or whatever the slang is of the young people these days? Could it be that you are going by the writing on one person that tested the bike & not the majority?

If you want true comfort from a sportbike then may I suggest you check out a Honda 929 or 954 for if(?) you are at home on a sportbike you will find a dramatic difference in the above two bikes compared to a Suzy GSXR which has the clipons very low & so far forward while the footrests are up so much higher the footrest position did not bother me, but I found it a strain to be riding the bike in town or on the hwy & come upon traffic for there was a continual strain to my neck to be able to see said traffic. That is the reason I gave up a GSXR so I could own/ride a 929 with its more sensible riding position. The Honda 929 & 954 ARE without question looked upon as being very comfortable bikes for long runs on the hwys by so many owners over bikes they have owned previously.

As for all the tricky quick changes sure I guess they could be offered IF(?) we want to pay for them. In my case it would be NO for I picked the 929 for its comfort in riding position & not in roadracing form.
Smitty,

My point in making that statement was that the mags are calling the Suzuki the bike with the least agressive riding position. Just a few years ago all gixxers were refered to as "racks" I guess the point of my initial question is the bikes are becomming more and more track focused. WIll they eventually bee too radical for the street?
post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-02-2004, 12:47 AM

can't stand the heat, get out the kitchen

Let's see...i saw a few commercials today showing a pick-up truck with 500hp, a full size suv with 300+hp, and a family sedan with 300+hp. If they regulate hp for bikes, they need to do it for cars too! And i don't see that happening any time soon.

Great thing about the U.S. of A is that we have a choice to build or buy fast. I ride a '98 CBR900rr and it's by no means obsolete. Whether you're on a 135hp bike or a 105hp bike, a not so smart rider will crash and has no business on a bike.

To the man who said GSX-r was voted most comfy...? What mag are you reading? Sorry, first I've ever heard of this.

Hope this doesn't offend anyone. Sorry if it did
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode