Steering Stabilizer? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-25-2004, 02:56 PM Thread Starter

Steering Stabilizer?

saturday i went down again.....what happened was that i was doing around 30mph then i hit the front brakes a little too hard...locked them up and before i could release the brakes to stop them from locking up my handle bars shook like crazy and next thing i know im rolling and the bike is sliding.

slight cosmetic damage on the bike and me....any way would buying a steerign stabilizer since my bike didnt come with one be a swell idea and prevent future accidents?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-25-2004, 05:36 PM

This could have been avoided..as I'm sure you know...newer riders need to Practice, practice, and practice some more...doing panic type stops...this is so that you'll know what happens when the need arises...Audio, I'm guessing that you prolly made 2 mistakes...1 locking the frt brake, and 2..I'll bet ya put a "death grip" on the bars..and maybe the road had some bumps in it...whic would have compinded the problem...

Best thing to do when you encounter a tank slapper/head shake is to loosen your grip on the bars as much as possble, let the bike do what it was designed to do...99.99% of the time, it will right it self..So yes..you could install a steering damper, but in most cases, except for some Yam. R1's...you really don't need one..

As for the types of dampers...there the Scott's, Olin's, GPR, HyperPro..ect...

Old, Slow, but ...Smooth
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-25-2004, 05:45 PM

Panic Stops, and how to Practice them...

Find a deserted road, that's smooth...start by only using the Front brake...get up to 10 mph, and apply the brake to the point just before locking it up, do this several times, to where you can get the rear wheel to just come off the ground, and feel in control...Then increase the speed by 5 or 10 mph, and repeat, until you can feel comfortable doing this at about 60 mph...

Once you feel o.k. with that, then do the same thing, but use the rear brake, but use it Lightly..the rear will help you stop better by about 20%...

It's best to have a friend along while practicing, just in case...

Also, Id recomend practicing some Evasive manuvers, by placing objects, such as pieces of 2X4X4 in a deserted road or BIG parking lot..that's void of paint lines...and practice steering around them...increasing the speed as needed. if you do this say once a month..during the riding season..you should be much better equiped to deal with cagers, ect...on the road..more importanly, you'll know what to expect, IF you have to do any of these manuvers...could save your life..

Ride Safe..

Old, Slow, but ...Smooth

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-25-2004, 05:47 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Hammer 4
This could have been avoided..as I'm sure you know...newer riders need to Practice, practice, and practice some more...doing panic type stops...this is so that you'll know what happens when the need arises...Audio, I'm guessing that you prolly made 2 mistakes...1 locking the frt brake, and 2..I'll bet ya put a "death grip" on the bars..and maybe the road had some bumps in it...whic would have compinded the problem...

Best thing to do when you encounter a tank slapper/head shake is to loosen your grip on the bars as much as possble, let the bike do what it was designed to do...99.99% of the time, it will right it self..So yes..you could install a steering damper, but in most cases, except for some Yam. R1's...you really don't need one..

As for the types of dampers...there the Scott's, Olin's, GPR, HyperPro..ect...
most definately i will blame myself for lack of experience....and i most likely had the bars on a death grip.....thanks for the input
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-25-2004, 05:51 PM

Audio, I hope you didn't take my post as critisium...but rather, friendly advice....And, not to toss out any bad JUJU, but I sincerly hope this is the Last time this happens..

Glad your o.k.....

Old, Slow, but ...Smooth
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-25-2004, 05:55 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Hammer 4
Audio, I hope you didn't take my post as critisium...but rather, friendly advice....And, not to toss out any bad JUJU, but I sincerly hope this is the Last time this happens..

Glad your o.k.....
not as ciriticism at all.... i appreciate the help and advice....i also apreciate your concern for my well being....i hope thats the last time i crash also
thanks
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-25-2004, 10:59 PM

Hammer is so right about needing a lot of practice which means EXPERIENCE which I am sorry to say that comes through continual practicing & riding.

A steering head damper (you call it a stabalizer) would be totally usless in your situation.

About the only time a Honda 600 or Yamaha 600 might need the steering head damper would be when the very latest like the CBR600RR or R6 were tuned to the maximium, with best of suspension set-ups & the racer using the bike(s) was pushing them to 110% of the bikes & riders ability with the intent to win.

Not a CBR F3 like yours or 600r like mine I am sorry to say. There is one on my '00 Honda 929 for it is a tough gal to handle & one never knows when the f/wheel is lightened during accelleration or cranking it on hard & shifting through the cogs. That bike is very fussy that way & why so many 929 & 954s have them on along with the latest 1000 with a special factory one.
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-26-2004, 05:05 AM

I haven't been on this site for a while, so if you have addressed this in another post I apologize. Have you taken the MFS course? The instructors will work with you on hard braking in a controlled environment. They also provide many invaluable tips for new riders such as accident avoidance, setting up a turn correctly (to avoid panic braking), and counter-steering. If you haven't taken the course I highly recommend it - many states provide insurance discounts for MFS attendees as well.

Good luck.
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-26-2004, 06:07 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Bonk!
I haven't been on this site for a while, so if you have addressed this in another post I apologize. Have you taken the MFS course? The instructors will work with you on hard braking in a controlled environment. They also provide many invaluable tips for new riders such as accident avoidance, setting up a turn correctly (to avoid panic braking), and counter-steering. If you haven't taken the course I highly recommend it - many states provide insurance discounts for MFS attendees as well.

Good luck.
the classes are so booked around here that im in the waiting list....but prior to that i talked with many seasoned riders for tips and stuff so i can ride my bike carefully before i go to the class
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-26-2004, 06:17 AM

life savers

I might ride a little more agreessive, after years of racing and riding street but, i got slap and head shake many times before i decided all might bikes would have dampeners. Agood qoute i once heard is (one day a dampener will save youre a$$) and they defineitly have. they dont weigh anything and are fairly enexpensive. Get 1!!! Good luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode