Ducati 996 or RC-51....Need Opinions - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-18-2004, 05:16 AM Thread Starter

Question Ducati 996 or RC-51....Need Opinions

I am going to buy a new bike very soon, and I need some help deciding. I have found an '01 996, and an '02 RC51. They both have mods done, and are about the same price. I need your opinions on both, Positive and negative input on both bikes would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Travis
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-18-2004, 07:46 AM

Well, in my opinion...I prefer the RC51. Lemme ask you this...how tall are you, and are you skinny or nutritionally advantaged? I'm 6'3 and bout 260 and I feel pretty comfy on the 51, but I've only ridden a 748 and I can imagine they are pretty comparable. I really dug the power and feel of the 51, but I'm prejudiced to Honda. On the other hand, it's a Ducati and that is kinda elitist in my book. I'd say sit on both and find the more comfortable of them. Woudl you rather feel comfortable in the saddle, or just know your gonna go fast and say screw ergonomics? Just
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-18-2004, 07:53 AM Thread Starter

I am not big by any means. I'm 5'10 and 155lbs. I know the RC is going to be more comfy, but I'm used to my R6 so it won't be that drastic of a change. I gues I should have went in to more detail about what I want to do with it as well. I am going to be riding it to work on occasion, as well as short trips out of town for canyon rides and such. I know the RC is less maintenence intensive, but is the Ducati that much worse?

I really like both bikes, and I should probably just flip a coin and see which one wins

Thanks For Your help,

Travis

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-18-2004, 01:28 PM

Someting else to consider: How far away is the nearest Ducati shop compared to a Honda shop? Might be handy knowledge is you should ever need to go there for any reason.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-18-2004, 01:48 PM Thread Starter

Both shops are about the same distance from me. In my experience also, No one around here stocks anything anyway. So parts will be 1 to 2 weeks out no matter what I buy.

This a silly thing to stress about, but I'm stressed.

Life's a bitch Huh?

Travis
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-18-2004, 08:16 PM

I don't the size of the rider has a bunch to do with it...A friend of mine has a 998, and he's about 6'3" and over 200 lbs...he also had a 916 that he rode about 520 miles in a day...so comfort shouldn't be that big of an issue...What I'd be concerned about is the cost maint., and the cost of parts...from what ny friend has told me, it's not cheap for Duc's....and even if that wasn't the case, I'd go with the Honda too....More of em, means more parts available..ect..

Old, Slow, but ...Smooth
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-19-2004, 04:34 AM Thread Starter

Yeah, I think you are right about going with the Honda.

Decisions Decisions

Travis
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode