Tire Flat Spots During Storage... - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-04-2004, 11:57 AM Thread Starter

Tire Flat Spots During Storage...

Well its been 3 weeks with only one day above freezing and today was it so i went down into the garage to check up on the bike and add some fuel stabilizer and to crank it over to recharge the battery (since i dont have a trickle charger, but a new battery is awaiting installation this spring).

The bike has been stored on its sidestand since early december and has only been ridden once since then. I noticed that there was a flat spot developing on the front tire. So I put the bike onto its stands... Just curious if there is any downsides to storing the bike on front and rear stands (ie. frame bending, tipping, stand failure) and also will the flat spot just pop back out or is there a process? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-04-2004, 12:11 PM

Go ahead & use the stands. I simply put my bikes on the side stands & they are find in the spring ALONG with a checking of the air pressure of front & rear tires.

To get fuel stabilizer circulating around properly you will need to run the engine for some 20 minutes which is not good. Also note the charging system does not start to work till you are up around 3,000 rpm on a sportbike & then I look upon 1 hr of riding at that or above pace to satisfy the battery.

Buy yourself a Battery Tender for you will find it is necessary in the summer time as well for short runs & HOT weather along with numerous starting will be a toll on the battery. It is far less in cost the a battery & can be usuable for some 20 to 40 yrs to even working on a cage battery to any small motors like lawnmore, boat, etc
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-06-2004, 10:54 PM

I had to store mine for a while once and had a rear stand but no front stand.

What I was advised is to inflate the front to about 40-50 psi and take it slowly round the block just once or twice. Then drop it back to normal pressure. That should assist in "popping out" the flat spot.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-09-2004, 04:39 AM Thread Starter

Thanks guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode