Busa Sidecar anyone? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-02-2004, 07:59 AM Thread Starter

Busa Sidecar anyone?

For those of you all who made it to the IMS in Cleveland, did you guys get a load of the yellow Busa with a sidecar? Made me think twice bout gettin one. Might freak a few people out though. I'll try to post a pic I took later tonite.

http://66.96.182.141/jack/pics/2004/Busa%20Sidecar.html

Here's a link to the pic.

Last edited by thompsonian; 02-03-2004 at 05:26 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-03-2004, 12:18 PM

Send a message via AIM to Tippmann Send a message via Yahoo to Tippmann
How'd you like to be in tha side car going 200mph?

Quote:
Originally posted by sidewaysducati
SWIPE THE CARD GRANDMA!!!
SWIPE THE GODDAMNED CARD!!!!
WARNING
If you are reading this then this warning is for you. Every word you read of this useless fine print is another second off your life. Don't you have other things to do? Is your life so empty that you honestly can't think of a better way to spend these moments? Or are you so impressed with authority that you give respect and credence to all who claim it? Do you read everything you're supposed to read? Do you think everything you're supposed to think? Buy what you're told you should want? Get out of your apartment. Meet a member of the opposite sex. Stop the excessive shopping and masturbation. Quit your job. Start a fight. Prove you're alive. If you don't claim your humanity you will become a statistic. You have been warned...... Tyler
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-03-2004, 12:27 PM

Looks good & probably is good. Still I would like to see it with a leading link front end suspension.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-03-2004, 12:59 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Tippmann
How'd you like to be in tha side car going 200mph?
That would be schweet as hell.......until it flipped and I died. But i'd still do it
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-04-2004, 12:16 PM

Once one gets the hangs of riding & handeling a sidecar rig it can be quite useful. At our shop in '50 we set up TWO adult/child salon sidecars for 500cc Norton Twin & 500cc Triumph. These were big units fully enclosed & good for wife in the front & son or daughter sitting behind AND both fully covered & looking out of plexiglass windows.

My best friend set up a lovely Swallow single sidecar for his Vincent & believe me we went all over the place with that, with each taking turns steering the Vincent while the other rested or slept in the sidecar.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-04-2004, 12:30 PM
Dad

Quote:
Originally posted by Smitty

My best friend set up a lovely Swallow single sidecar for his Vincent & believe me we went all over the place with that, with each taking turns steering the Vincent while the other rested or slept in the sidecar.
Here's a useless fact that's interesting at best......

Swallow Sidecar evolved through the years until it became Jaguar. Yeah, the cars.

My brother has recently restored his '66 BMW, ground up, to impecable condition, every last nut, bolt, and spoke. He has owned the bike for years and it has a TON of miles on it. It's complete with a Steib sidecar and was one of the last to have the leading link front end you mentioned, Smitty.

It's a showpiece and just recently took a first place at a big Houston MC show. He still rides it, too. Not just a showbike. Very cool piece!

Keeping the "Hap" in "Happy Holidays"!

Regime change begins at home.

Blind patriotism is worse than no patriotism.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-04-2004, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Smitty
Once one gets the hangs of riding & handeling a sidecar rig it can be quite useful. At our shop in '50 we set up TWO adult/child salon sidecars for 500cc Norton Twin & 500cc Triumph. These were big units fully enclosed & good for wife in the front & son or daughter sitting behind AND both fully covered & looking out of plexiglass windows.

Growing up in Russia (USSR back then), I got to ride with my uncle in the sidecar of his Ural. Back then a motorcycle with a sidecar was not a fun novelty, but rather an inexpensive mode of transportation. It has enough room for a passenger and a trunk in the back. You can load lots of potato sacks into one of those

I don't know if abundance of cheap used cars from Europe and Japan has made motorcycles less of a family vehicle in Russia today...

This is a recent version of my uncle's bike. I borrowed the photo from a cycletrader ad. Ain't no 'busa, that's for sure...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ural_med.jpg (37.4 KB, 74 views)
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-05-2004, 01:07 PM

One chap with a Ural bike & the frame & wheel of the sidecar, only a platform on it with some grab bars. It carried three bikes for the flat track event ---- tight jam, but it was three.

Later on they asked if I would take some shots during the break of the sidecar honking around the 1/2 mile track. Natch with the 3rd wheel being at the right he had to go clockwise with his balance man.

Felt I had some good shots & was walking away from the track only the chap lost control & I was nailed in the back between rider/driver on the m/c & his balance man on the 3rd wheel with grab bars----apparently it was quite a sight of all the dust, myself up in the air to disappear into the dust as the rig appeared then self & bike a number of times!!!!!

Had a pen in my mouth & they fished, half of it out as I had bitten right through it, when I was coming back into the world. Still as usual I did not go to the hospital & continued to cover the last half of the race with the one camera left while other was badly damaged. That darn Ural rig turned out to be in pretty good shape as well for later on the 3 bikes were mounted on & away he was to ride/drive home & then a few corrections once there..
------------------------
Dad I believe that leading link came onto the market in '51 or '52 & it was called an Earls fork by BSA & possibly BMW. Anywhat it was the start of BMW aiming at better suspension at the front then normal flimbsy tele forks.

If he has rebuilt, as you say, it that will be a lovely vintage bike to be proud of.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode