Helmet opinnions and size question - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-24-2004, 09:46 AM Thread Starter

Helmet opinnions and size question

Hi guys. Its Dead winter time here. So I fiugerd I'd cruise over the local dealer almost an 1 hour away to see what kind of helmets they had. Sombody also told me they where having a sale, and they where 50% off some and 30% off the others.
This is my first helmet, for street, I have one for the Dirt bike but its old. I read how to tell if the helmet fit you right or not. I trided XL and L. XL and just about all brands felt good, but I could move the helmet around, and it would not move my skin. So I went with Large. The Large in (let me see if I can spel this right) Shoei felt real good not to tight if I tried to move per there website said on determining size it would move my skin. However they did not have a nice looking helmet in stock. So I started to look at the Arai's. They had a good selection. I selted on one but not before checking there retrun policy. I got an Arai Astro/3. Black/red/white (to match my bike) The helmet fits real good, The only place that is a little unconftorable is right by my cheaks, more towards the my mouth, its fairly tight and restictive. I want to know if this is ok, and if it will lossen up, also the list price was 551.79. It was discounted 30% off. I had to get a yamaha keycahin 8 dollars so my bill came out to 416 and change. Is this a good price for this helmet, and about how tight it is around my cheaks. Should I return it and look else where. How does the price sound. And if anybody else has this helmet how do you like it.
Here are a couple of pic's of it. Thank you for your help.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-24-2004, 10:17 AM
Dad

Always a tough question, especially w/o seeing.

It should feel like it's making reasonably snug contact all of the way around, no extreme point contact/pressure such as your forehead or temples. That's where you get into the different models and brands fitting different shaped heads better than others. The fit should be as snug as possible, almost tight enough to be too tight, cheeks included, but not so that it will give you a headache. It will settle to your head somewhat, getting a little looser, never tighter. Since you have it home, wear it around the house for a while. If it gives you a headache, it's probably too tight. If it's a little tight but not unbearable after some time around the house, it is probably good and should settle in perfect. JMO.

I'm pretty sure the cheek pads can be changed for thicker or thinner ones if that's a trouble spot. Most of the higher end helmets have that capability.

Keeping the "Hap" in "Happy Holidays"!

Regime change begins at home.

Blind patriotism is worse than no patriotism.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-24-2004, 12:10 PM

Only to add to Dad's Post is pricewise I cannot say as helmets cost us more in Cdn.

The headache from especially the forehead is when I knew I had the wrong SHAPE or to tight a fit. As for the tightness around the cheeks I expect that & it will go away in a day or two.

Shoei is for one shape of head, which is mine, while different Arai helmets for the two basic shapes of heads & good possibility you have the correct shape for even the Shoei felt good.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-24-2004, 12:26 PM

Big thing is to keep the visor CLEAN all the time. Many good materials out there being Plexus, 303, Armor-All OR any "protectant" for plastics or vinel which can also be Slip Stream to every day Pledge & yes I use the latter often for I also hit the rest of the helmet to give it a wax finish.

ONLY use CLEAN cotten cloths & not the normal sheets of paper used to cleaning up messes in the kitchen for latter is very hard on the plastic of your visor. Note I say CLEAN & do not use said cotten cloth for weeks & weeks on end. I find after using mine a few days I will switch for a clean one for after all it is so easy to clean & let dry in your washroom overnight. The cotten sheets are from old & woren out T-shirts. In fact I carry a few extra & clean ones under my saddle.

On two of my Shoei helmets I have visors are 5 to 6 yrs old on one to two yr old helmets (I carry a clear on one & dark smoked on the other though wish last was light smoked) while the original ones are sitting it storage --------- proof that one can keep them scratch free for 5 to 6 yrs or more if one TAKES CARE.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-24-2004, 04:15 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys. I put the helmet on again, Everthing seems ok. Its a good tight fit, the only real concer i have is buy the cheeks. If focres my lips to pucker up(That sound so stupid) if I relax my mucles in my cheek. The Shoei Helmets in L seem to fit be a bit better. I have a week to decided, casue I can't get back to the dealer ship untill next saturday. For now I have left all the tags and what not on it. I know that this dealer ship is generaly a rip off. But I think this a good price for the helmet. I will have to check around on the interent and see what I come up with. What other brands Can I look into. The dealership I went to had some KBC and some other brand I have never heard of but I'm new to this. They where both dot and Snell stamped on them But IDK what others can I look at?

Smitty, Thanks for the added information, I haven't even thougt of cleaning the helmet and what not I'm sure I would of. I have been on infromation overload for the last week since I bought my bike. In way I'm kind of Glad I got the bike now and I can't ride it. Gives me time to fully research everthing, and get everthing in order. This up in comming week I will find out about when and where I can take the MSF course. So for now the bike sits and I start her every few days. I have been doing quite a bit of reading.

I will get some pic's up of the bike in my gallery shortely.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-24-2004, 07:30 PM

Shoei & Arai are the two best makes on the market. The cheek pressure is common for in a short while it will go away.

Basically I retire my helmets due to the interior parts loosening up to much though the outer shell & visor will still be in prime condition to where they might looking like just off the shelf condition.

Each time I pick up a new Large Shoei (since they fit me perfectily) I too tend to wonder if THIS(?) one is a hair to snug only in a while I know it was a perfect fit (proof that my other helmet was becomming a bit to loose though I knew it at the time) & you will find the same in Arai. The two best helmets on the market.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-25-2004, 05:00 PM Thread Starter

I put it on again tonight, I realized that if I try to close my teath, or bite all the way down I will bite my inner cheek. So I don't think that is good. So I either need a thiner cheek pice or I need to get a different helemt. XL to big and L in an Arai is to small looks like I will have to go with a Shoei. The Shoei L felt real good when I tried them on.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-26-2004, 07:45 AM

Definately to tight at the cheeks. I chew gum when riding (keeps my mouth moist in hot weather) & new or old the Shoei helmets do not close in that tight.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-26-2004, 08:00 AM

Send a message via AIM to wantanaprilia
Don`t know if someone already mentioned it, but you just might not have an "Arai head". Meaning, Arais are EXTREMLY comfortable for me (probly going to be my next buy), but I couldn`t wear a Shoei if you paid me. Aside from the fact I can barely get them on my head, when I do, they don`t fit the shape of my head, and wiggle all over.

Look . . . the people you are after are the people you depend on. We cook your meals, we haul your trash, we connect your calls, we drive your ambulances, we guard you while you sleep. Do not fu|< with us.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-26-2004, 03:49 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys. You have all been really helpfull. I called the place where I got it from they have smaller cheek pads in stock. So I'm going to try those. If they don't help I will retrun it and look at a shoei. They fit me well from trying them on and now that I know I need a large. I can feel a little more confident shoping for one online.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode