June Cross Country Ride In the Works - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-22-2004, 09:43 PM Thread Starter
Dad

June Cross Country Ride In the Works

I have a niece graduating High School in Los Angeles around the third week in June. May make it into a ride. If I do, I wouldn't mind saying Hi to some folks along the way. I would spend a couple days in LA and do some canyon riding there. I need a new Rock Store shirt.

Probably head out of Pittsburgh on I-70 at least to Colorado, then maybe angle down through Four Corners and on into LA or just stay on 70 through Utah, down through Las Vegas and in. Depends on timing and mood. Return would probably go up through Salt Lake to Yellowstone then east through Wyoming and South Dakota, follow the river down to Council Bluffs, and back through Indianapolis. Nothing etched in stone yet. Anybody in those parts wanna' do lunch?

Keeping the "Hap" in "Happy Holidays"!

Regime change begins at home.

Blind patriotism is worse than no patriotism.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-23-2004, 07:37 AM

Dad, have you ever done that drive before? Sounds like you have. There are two ways you can go, Yea go down to the 70 all the way though CO. Now from PA to Denver is a boring ass ride, and I mean boring. Kansas is rolling hills and a straight line. Now once you hit Denver let the fun begin. One in to Utah you can stay straight on the 70 and go all the way to coast and take PCH (Pacific Coast Highway) down the coast of CA. that supposed to be a nice drive. Or you can turn left and take the 15 all the way in to LA. You will be going though Vegas. I have made the trip across the country from LA to NY 6 times. The best part of the ride is always though Colorado. All though one time I cam though Indiana during the day time. It was I think around June I could not believe how green it was there. If you have any questions regarding the trip let me know. I would like to take the northern route one of these days. Oh just so you know If you take the 70 all the way across to the Coast you add about I think 800 mile to the trip. So that is about another day. Are you doing this on your bike? Iíd love to go with you, thatís going to be a long ride for a new rider. Be Carefull with the socal drivers they are nuts and have no regard for anyone else on the road unless you are about 20 times bigger then them
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-23-2004, 08:12 AM

Send a message via AIM to wantanaprilia
Quote:
Originally posted by EdgeRanger
So that is about another day. Are you doing this on your bike? Iíd love to go with you, thatís going to be a long ride for a new rider.
I wouldn`t exactly call him "new"

Look . . . the people you are after are the people you depend on. We cook your meals, we haul your trash, we connect your calls, we drive your ambulances, we guard you while you sleep. Do not fu|< with us.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-23-2004, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by wantanaprilia
How bout " Gently Used "?
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-23-2004, 08:18 AM
S370HSSV 0773H

Send a message via Yahoo to spicersh
Re: June Cross Country Ride In the Works

Quote:
Originally posted by Dad
Anybody in those parts wanna' do lunch?
Terrible Hole (Terre Haute) is right off of I-70 just before Illinois. I'm sure depending on when you go through Katie and I would love to meet up with you on the way out or back, or hell, why not both!

Once you get more of the details hammered out let one of us know when you'll be cruising through. Hopefully we're not gonna be in any weddings, graduations, etc.

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all of fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomanical, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully. - Richard Dawkins, The God Delusion
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-23-2004, 08:20 AM
S370HSSV 0773H

Send a message via Yahoo to spicersh
Quote:
snip.....Be Carefull with the socal drivers they are nuts and have no regard for anyone else on the road unless you are about 20 times bigger then them
I think that applies to the Northern Cali drivers too....but the bonus is that when they are sitting in a parking lot that used to be an 8 lane highway, you can just ride right on through....

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all of fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomanical, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully. - Richard Dawkins, The God Delusion
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-23-2004, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by wantanaprilia
I should of add a but in there, but I was refering to my self. I lived in socal. For about 4 years and have friends out there.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-23-2004, 10:20 AM Thread Starter
Dad

Quote:
Dad, have you ever done that drive before? Sounds like you have.
Yes, I've made those trips several times since 1980, always on a bike. SoCal five times. I've been in nearly every major National Park at least once, including Denali in Alaska, and some favorites as many as eight times. This trip will probably be a week+ with time spent at my sister's, so it won't be the involved tour that some have been. It's still tough to do all of that distance w/o a stop at some favorites, though.

I've done the LA area in two 1350 mile sittings before but will probably take three days each way, maybe four depending on sightseeing, with a few at my sister's place in the middle. The drive across does get boring between Pgh and Denver on the southerly route, or The Badlands and Pgh on the northerly route so I usually just get a good early start, run about 16 to twenty hours, and get that largely behind me. Most of the rest is very scenic. Oh, and run Vegas through Barstow at night. THAT is some brutal heat to ride in. I rode that through the day in 1981 and saw temps of 125. That was the last time for that!

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-23-2004, 11:04 AM

Dad, is this going to be another cross country ride in your same lucky undrewear again?

Those poor, porr undies...
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-23-2004, 07:30 PM Thread Starter
Dad

Quote:
Originally posted by o|||||||o
Dad, is this going to be another cross country ride in your same lucky undrewear again?

Those poor, porr undies...
As long as it's not my sister's turn to use 'em!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode