1999-2002 Yamaha R6 - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-21-2004, 12:25 PM Thread Starter

1999-2002 Yamaha R6

Hi, I am trying to buy a used R6 with limited cash.

Would it be better to get a 2002 R6 compared to a 1999 R6?

All these bikes are in good condition.

1999 R6 for $4000
2000 R6 for $4500
2001 R6 for $4500
2002 R6 for $4800

The reason I am asking is because of those 2nd gear problems. Does the 2001 and 2002 have this problem?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-21-2004, 03:23 PM

I am a bit lost about this possible 2nd gear problems on the Yamaha R6 bikes?

Could it be you are referring to the earlier '97 to '04 YZF600r that some claim has a 2nd gear problem ----- though I have a 600r since '97 (withover 50,000 miles on it) & NEVER a gear problem to where the cog box is even smoother then my '00 Honda 929.

Lastly if any of the Yamaha R6 bikes are to be your first street iron THEN you are going at to peaky & powerful a machine for a new rider!!!!!!
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-21-2004, 04:59 PM

Those prices sound about right if the bikes are in good condition. Check the prices on www.nada.com
I just picked up my 01 R6 for 4800, as a few extras not much but a few. When I was doing my research about the R6 I have heard a lot of a flase N felling between I think 2nd and 3rd, or 1st and 2nd, Remember N is between 1st and 2nd. I have also heard this is a myth. So IDK.
I'm not going to get into the first bike thing though. Just know what you are getting your self into. Read a lot of posts about the R6 and what people say about it, Its your decision your life and your cash. Go here and go to the new rider section there is a page 3 post about an r6 as your first bike. Thats my Advice.
oh there is a nice sv650 for sale on the for sale forum here right in MD. might want to see if he sitll has it if I remember correclty it is at a decent price.

Yes Its my first street bike in case anyone wanted to know.

Last edited by EdgeRanger; 01-21-2004 at 05:07 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode