Almost got rear-ended HARD - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-15-2004, 08:47 AM Thread Starter

Almost got rear-ended HARD

Man, this world is completely full of idiots. I was riding into town from a canyon road when i come upon a crosswalk. I am a good distance from this crosswalk when I see a pedestrian trying to cross. I start to slow down and I did give the driver behind be plenty of time to stop. He was driving a work truck Ford F-450 workhorse, commercial styles. To make this short, the driver never saw me slowing down. I looked into my mirror and saw him coming up FAST! I saw the ped was just barely out of my way (hadn't past in front of me just yet) and I sped up and cut off the pedestrian partially. He gets pissed off at me (called me "fucker" when i passed him), and when I look back, he had to jump back from being hit by the truck. And yes, the truck stopped about 20 feet past the crosswalk. And I"m the one getting yelled at! At least he knows why i had to cut his butt off. Loser!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-15-2004, 08:55 AM

Send a message via AIM to wantanaprilia
Good job keeping an eye open and staying calm enough to think

Look . . . the people you are after are the people you depend on. We cook your meals, we haul your trash, we connect your calls, we drive your ambulances, we guard you while you sleep. Do not fu|< with us.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-15-2004, 09:10 AM

Did you roll off throttle to slow down or did you use your brakes? In one of the recent Motorcyclist magazine issues they had a section on "Being Seen". The article points out the fact that while you can slow down quite a bit on the bike by rolling off and downshifting, the cars behind you may not notice your change of speed very easily. Tapping the brakes will at least engage the brake lights and help the cars behind notice your slowing down.

Of course, this still would mean nothing if the guy behind paid zero attention to what's ahead of him. Just like Smitty says, everyone on the road is out to kill you. I'm glad to hear you made it to ride another day

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-15-2004, 09:30 AM Thread Starter

I hear you dude, but I was coming right out of a canyon road at low speed, high gear (I hadn't downshifted yet from the canyon), so I hit the brakes as slightly as I could to activate my tail light early, but to not slow down too hard. I gave that guy a good 4 seconds of me barely hitting front brake to show i was gonna slow down... Then I started to slow down. I could tell the driver was definately not paying attention and felt bad because he actually stopped AFTER the crosswalk... well, it looked like he stopped.

Sometimes when i don't need to brake too hard for a turn, I apply the back brake twice (not even enough to feel a difference) just to let the guy know I am slowing down.

Just trying to get the point out that if I had forgotten to check my mirror upon stopping just this one time, my day would be alot worse.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-15-2004, 07:34 PM

dude elvis, you got some bad luck man. Good thing you didnt get hit, good keeping an eye out, sooooo i guess thats good luck... hummm .

i'm always afraid i'm giong to get smacked in the ass, maybe i'll start keepin a better eye out after that story.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-15-2004, 08:04 PM

Send a message via AIM to wantanaprilia
Quote:
Originally posted by Triumph_S4

i'm always afraid i'm giong to get smacked in the ass, maybe i'll start keepin a better eye out after that story.
Oh thats asking for it, but I`ll be good

Look . . . the people you are after are the people you depend on. We cook your meals, we haul your trash, we connect your calls, we drive your ambulances, we guard you while you sleep. Do not fu|< with us.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-16-2004, 04:49 AM
Strength and Honor

Quote:
Originally posted by Triumph_S4
I won't be. Sounds like you and spicersh can get together, based on his Plane of Hell description. Details unwelcome.

Elvis, depending on how much time you had, sometimes doing a quick up and down on your pegs to raise your keister off will be enough for other drivers to wake up. Its worked for me in several occassions, though none were possible rear-endings.

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-16-2004, 05:31 AM

its a pleasure to know things didn't work out for the worse. glad to see things are o.k. don't let the guy who yelled at you get to you. when i'm out riding, i always think about myself as being part of a horse. i pretend that i am the head and shoulders and soon enough you will find the ass.

SQUID=Stupidly Quick, Underdressed, & Imminently Dead

Katie has a nice "spice rack".

If you can read this, thank a teacher....If you're reading this in English, thank a Veteran.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-18-2004, 12:27 PM

Anytime I'm stopping, or even slowing down significantly, I flash the brake light like I'm trying to start my own disco. I've thought about installing a strobe light to be activated with/as the brake light, and I mean police quality brightness and speed, but i've noticed I get much better reactions flashing the brake light then just applying it and holding it, also - i read somewhere if you flash your brake lights do an irregular pattern, people get so used to seeing flashing lights on the back of things sometimes they just zone out, I usually am singing a song in my head anyway, so - I'll use the brake light to keep beat or something when I'm slowing down...
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-18-2004, 03:58 PM
jrm

always good to check behind

2 things--

First, I love my Hyperlite LED flashers! They wire in to brake light and flash rapidly when you hit the brake. "I" think they are great, because it is not just the "regular" light now flashing, but things that were previously not even seen now flashing.

Second, I had a very close call last summer. I was at a stop that is usually green and only a block from another light. I was in left lane and car beside me in right lane stopped fine. Idiot in right lane behind him probably didn't even look up when she plowed right into stopped car. I was shocked, because it was so close to me AND I had NOT checked my mirrors at all. If idiot was in my lane, I wouldn't have seen it coming. FWIW, this was before I installed the Hyperlites.

Glad your'e not flat.

Another question to ponder is--If you are approaching yellow light, do you blast through it or stop for it? You gotta check your mirrors all the time in the city, because in this instance you "could" find yourself stopping much faster than car behind you can. Car behind thinks you are running it/isn't looking and you stop quick in front of them. It only matters that it would be their fault if you live through it...

Everybody ride safe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode