2-wheel newbie needs recommendation - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-01-2004, 05:36 AM Thread Starter

2-wheel newbie needs recommendation

Hello! I have just been bitten by the 2-wheel bug! I don't have a bike yet, and am in the market for one.

I am interested in buying the Italian lightweights: Aprilia RS125 or the Cagiva Mito 125. Both brand new.

Why a 125 you ask? Because I want to learn sport riding on a bike that I have confidence of handling. A bigger bike may only prolong my learning time. I can ride a bike perfectly as transportation from A to B (I already have a riding license), but 99% of you could leave me eating dust after just 4 corners.

A 125 is also relatively cheap. I know, for the money I could buy a used bigger capacity bike. It's just that I want to start with a brand new bike.

Can anybody give me a brief review of the strength or weaknesses of each bike? And, which would be a better learning bike?

Any input is very appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-01-2004, 12:08 PM

125?

Common now.. If you read many many posts about what people should start out with then u will answer your own question.. Just search.. Personally anything under a 600cc is a waste of money if you wanna move up eventually... Just my and many others. Ride safe!
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-01-2004, 04:20 PM

Re: 125?

Quote:
Originally posted by docta_freeze
Common now.. If you read many many posts about what people should start out with then u will answer your own question.. Just search.. Personally anything under a 600cc is a waste of money if you wanna move up eventually... Just my and many others. Ride safe!
Then appearently, You didn't do much of a search....as most, if not All experienced riders here will/would recomend a bike under 600cc's..like a R6, F4, GSXR 600...ect...a 600 sportbike can be a handful in the hands of an unskilled rider, and for Renaldi to select a 125 isn't a bad thing. I can't offer any advice on which 125 to get, as I'm not familar with either bike...but I know alot of racers that use the Aprilla, and have good luck with it...If you feel comfortable on the 125, then by all means, buy one...get good riding gear, and ride safe..

I should mention, do a search in the New Riders forum..

Old, Slow, but ...Smooth

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-01-2004, 04:43 PM Thread Starter

Thank's for the positive input, Hammer 4 and docta_freeze.

I feel that a good 125 would give me enough adrenaline for now. I definitely don't want a 600 with close to 100 horses waiting to spin the rear wheels when leaning in a sweeper still taxing a major portion of my attention.

I read somewhere that street going Aprilia sport bikes generally handle more like a race bike than other, i.e. more of a handful. Any thoughts on this?
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-01-2004, 05:32 PM

Send a message via AIM to Tippmann Send a message via Yahoo to Tippmann
Welcome to SBW

You're starting off on the right track as far as bike choice goes. If you don't have any riding experience(dirt) it's not a good idea to start off on a 600. However I'm with hammer in not being familiar with the 125's. But you're starting off well, if you can't ride dirt like a champ, you can't ride street. Be safe and do some google searching on these 2 bikes.

Quote:
Originally posted by sidewaysducati
SWIPE THE CARD GRANDMA!!!
SWIPE THE GODDAMNED CARD!!!!
WARNING
If you are reading this then this warning is for you. Every word you read of this useless fine print is another second off your life. Don't you have other things to do? Is your life so empty that you honestly can't think of a better way to spend these moments? Or are you so impressed with authority that you give respect and credence to all who claim it? Do you read everything you're supposed to read? Do you think everything you're supposed to think? Buy what you're told you should want? Get out of your apartment. Meet a member of the opposite sex. Stop the excessive shopping and masturbation. Quit your job. Start a fight. Prove you're alive. If you don't claim your humanity you will become a statistic. You have been warned...... Tyler

Last edited by Tippmann; 01-01-2004 at 05:35 PM.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-01-2004, 07:46 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the kind words Tippmann. The 125s I was mentioning are street bikes (the Aprilia RS125 is a replica of their 125 GP bike). I am sure dirt biking is fun, but my personal preference have always been to sport riding.

I have just found the Newbie Forum, so I'll head down there to get more insights.

Thank you for all who have taken the time to read my post.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-01-2004, 08:00 PM

I actually don't recommend a 125 for a starter; mainly because gear selection & rpm's are so important...I am assuming that the 125 is a 2-stroke?yes? I rode a 125 on the track & it took much concentration to get the hang of it in the corners. If the rpm's were not kept up the bike would bog in the corner thus making it a little less stable. On the other hand w/ the revs up the bike felt planted & handled like it was on rails I just think something w/ a little more grunt in the lower revs may be more suitable. The SV650 has been a jewl for me. handles good, strong aftermarket, & bulletproof motor. The power comes on smoother than a inline (it is a v-twin) so you don't tend to spin any tires mid-corner. Not impossible to do, but not really a problem w/ the SV.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-02-2004, 07:58 PM

I am also a newb to riding, with less than a year experience. I started learning with a friend by riding a Honda Rebel 250, then shortly switched to a Suzuki Bandit 600S. I ended up buying that Bandit, and feel quite comfortable on it now. In retrospect, however, I probably should have stayed with the Rebel for a little longer. It had plenty of power to ride on the street, but kindly protected me from unintentional throttle abuse. The Bandit was only too happy to oblige when I cranked the throttle, and I had some interesting moments learning to brake.

I agree with those who say that 250cc is more appropriate size bike for starting out. I will also say that starting on a 600cc is not as bad as some people make it sound, as long as you understand that it is a FULL-SIZE bike, and treat it with due respect.

As far as your original question about 125cc, I don't know anything about either of the bikes you mentioned, other than they are both 2-cycle bikes. I think that if I was determined to have a small engine street bike, I would go with a 250cc 4-cycle bike instead. Just my
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-03-2004, 01:01 PM

I feel the 125 will soon be a let down. Do not get me wrong for in the late 40s to early 50s & again in mid 60s the 125s were popular & in latter think of what the Jpn makers were offering in early 60s to mid-60s.

For a newbie I now recommend a vertical twin 500cc such as the Suzy Ninja 500 or Kwacker (Kwasaki) GS-500. As the bikes are four stroke & not fussy 2-strokes, have good pull at lower revs (which most 600 fours lack) yet can take the average rider up to 100 mph if they so wish. Such a bike is good for several yrs of riding AND is a sensible upright riding position VS lean forward of a sportbike. Mind you a 600 Bandit is a good bike, but it is no longer being sold as a a new bike on the m/c shop floors.

If someone latches onto a 250cc & likes it then great for them as it is a good bike to learn on. Some just feel the 250 lacks the punch for the hwys.

Lastly in the late 40s till early 50s I latched onto every 125cc 2-stoke bike the kids dumped or damaged on purpose so their parents would buy them a 350cc. Bought them at almost nil prices, rebuilt them & sold them at good prices from our shop & basically had seveal at my home to get me to & from work, around town, etc. Never on the hwy FOR one must realize IN THOSE DAYS 8hp is all they punched out STILL an idea bike for a beginner & in a few months to a 350 in those days to next yr being a 500.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-05-2004, 06:49 PM Thread Starter

kawi jm, yes these bikes are 2-stroke. I have test ride the bikes, and (maybe because I am such a newbie) they both have enough grunt for me, albeit at a high rpm. This is actually what I wanted from my first bike, so that when I accidentally twist the throttle at the wrong time I wouldn't be in a deep sheep. Both have 30 horses to play with in a 270lb bike.

The SV650 has received great praises and recommendation from a lot of people. I would really love to get my hands on one, but in my area the taxes for 500cc or larger bikes are much more expensive, placing the SV or other more exciting bikes way out of my budget.

Vector, thanks for recommending the 250cc bike. Over here the most popular 250cc sport bike is the Aprilia RS 250 (unfortunately, V2, 2 cycle), with 70 horses on a 320lb frame it should be more than enough for me to play around for some time. Maybe I should also have a look on them. They were not on my list because they are no longer available brand new (last one was 2002). Since I don't know anything about bikes (yet) I want the peace of mind of buying fully warranted brand new bike. But, who knows? As for the Rebel, I really do not want to spend money on a cruiser bike.

Smitty, thanks for the input. As I have stated above, the 500cc or larger is out of my budget. If I wanted to practice sport riding (which would include some track time) wouldn't it be better to have a riding position that is leaning forward as on a sport bike? Or am I a victim of the newbie syndrome of wanting more looks than go?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode