2004 Paris to Dakar Rally - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-29-2003, 01:47 PM Thread Starter

2004 Paris to Dakar Rally

Starts on Saturday. It can be seen by dialing into Speed. In Pacific Time zone it is day one & two a 6:00pm & midnight or 9:00 PM Easten time zone while repeat will be at 3:00am.

One of the most exciting m/c, cages, & trucks event one can watch. Massive sand dunes, wet areas, rocky areas & simply so much more.

One will be looking at 7 countries they will be tearing through, & total distance of 11,052Km. I have not found list of competitors but feel they will be from Spain, Portugal, Italy, Germany, France, UK, States, Japan, Cdn & others.

IF(?) anyone latches onto the New sight that lists daily events, maps, placings, & who are the competitors I would appreciate it. I know date, times, map, & some info, but lack who are the competitors & what they are driving or riding.

Anyway this is to perk one up into some darn exciting racing & if you have not seen it then for crying out loud to for the riders are almost pooped from day one YET they are in top rate condition.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-29-2003, 09:50 PM

Hey Smitty,

I'm looking forward to Paris Dakar also. Here's a site that will have the rider list up on the 1st. so it says. Just click on the List of Competitors at the left.

http://www.dakar.euromaster.com/index_uk.htm

Last edited by never2old; 12-29-2003 at 09:54 PM.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-30-2003, 05:09 AM

I love the bikes but I am also a huge fan of those crazy Euro trucks they get on the Dakar. Will also be good to watch how WRC lunatic Colin McRae goes.

For a partial entry list try :

http://www.motorsm.com/Paris-Dakar_2004_entry.asp

http://www.motorsm.com/Paris-Dakar_2004.asp

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-30-2003, 12:38 PM

Send a message via AIM to Tippmann Send a message via Yahoo to Tippmann
Did you say it's only shown on the speed channel? If so, that suxxx cuz i don't get it.

Quote:
Originally posted by sidewaysducati
SWIPE THE CARD GRANDMA!!!
SWIPE THE GODDAMNED CARD!!!!
WARNING
If you are reading this then this warning is for you. Every word you read of this useless fine print is another second off your life. Don't you have other things to do? Is your life so empty that you honestly can't think of a better way to spend these moments? Or are you so impressed with authority that you give respect and credence to all who claim it? Do you read everything you're supposed to read? Do you think everything you're supposed to think? Buy what you're told you should want? Get out of your apartment. Meet a member of the opposite sex. Stop the excessive shopping and masturbation. Quit your job. Start a fight. Prove you're alive. If you don't claim your humanity you will become a statistic. You have been warned...... Tyler
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-30-2003, 01:05 PM Thread Starter

Thank you for the site Never2Old. I have another one, but feel what you offered to be the best.

To my knowledge it is only on Speed, BUT if I were you Tippmann I would dial around to all the sport sights you can find. Only one yr did Speed send over a crew to cover the event like one time they sent over a crew to cover the Isle of Man TT. The other sports sights can buy the coverage like Speed does now. Hope the latter helps.

Besides the Site Never2Old offered try Goggle & type out Paris to Dakar Rally '04 & good chance you will pick up ANOTHER site as I did. I find the parts in writing & up to date info is always interesting to read ESPECIALLY if you can get some of the live/caned action of the different days.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-01-2004, 05:30 PM Thread Starter

I am going to steal two posts I put down on another site & scoot them to this one so you will know the action has started on the 'net though we do not see the first two days untill Saturday.
---------------------------------
I looked up all those competiting. On m/cs are seven Brits, three Americans & one Cdn on a Bombardier as is on frog & possibly another European.

Around 184 m/cs still Scott Harden on KTM is in 19th the lst day while Larry Roeseler also on KTM has 44th both being the first few Americans & still ahead of the Brits & one Cdn, but during the first two days it is still over in Spain. Comes 3rd & 4th day they roll over to North West Africa & things will settle down to being more close around the 5th & 6th days IF they are not hit by bandits or something.

Three bikes, one quad, 3 cars & one truck have not been allowed to compete.

Some of you will remember the great Alfie Cox that has stuggled up amongst the top 20 for so many yrs & was going to retire last yr.

Well he is at it again & I like these words "--Alfie Cox (KTM – n°10). “When I left home (in South Africa) it was 35C°, so it was tough for me. This weather is not for me, I’m a man for sun”, admitted the South African--".

There is so much to read on the reports & come Saturday we will be into the 3rd day of reading about the race & able to see the first & 2nd day ------ give one a bit of an advantage & what to look out for.
_________
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-01-2004, 05:44 PM Thread Starter

I am bobbing from one Paris to Darak site to the other for info being the one mentioned above by never2old along with
www.dakar.euromaster.com.

Opps I am wrong for the added one is www.dakar.com/2004/us/index.html

In that way I am able to pick off more infor from each of them.

This has me running for I know all the American, Brit & one (if still allowed) Cdn that I can keep track of. Then there are some of the top 10 I have seen compete for the past few yrs & know they will still be at the top bar a surprize from someone more new & climbing.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-03-2004, 06:55 PM

I know it's early and won't last but can you believe one of only 50 made a Yamaha two wheel drive WR450F has won the first two stages

http://www.cyclenews.com/ShowStory.asp?HeadlineID=5706
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-03-2004, 07:19 PM Thread Starter

Agree & you can actually see the f/wheel start to take over.

If that thing lasts & makes it up in top tend then you can bet KTM will be aiming at a team of them next time. Still only 50 is a bit short of what should be out YET this very rally is a big testing grounds for the m/c people.

Interesting to note not to many KTM riders shifted to the more powerful V-twins.
------------------------

I remember in '49 when I was offered the AJS 350 Trials & 500 Matchless scrambler (both by AMC) & they asked if I wanted this or that. I turned down the s/arm rear end suspension for the 500 as leaf spring, Vincent's twin shocks, plunger rear ends, hub rear ends to torsion bar suspensions went boing-boing-boing-boing as one went around rough dirt courses & nothing like a trusty ridged rear end in my mind.

Only next yr we sold a few with the s/arm & twin shocks ---- I had a chap pass me in coming DOWN some steep parts while I passed him on the flats, bends & uphill. Bummed his bike & realized THAT was the answer in the way the bike handled on all parts of the MX course so wired for them to send me the kit for the 500. SO every so often something comes up that is better & some of us do not think so at the time.

After all the Brits have tried this, same with those in Spain, Italy & such but all prototypes failed miserably!!!!!!!!
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-03-2004, 07:25 PM

The old adage, if at first you don’t succeed try, try again…
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode