best helmet brand - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-19-2003, 01:38 PM Thread Starter

best helmet brand

oki, i NEED to get my G-friend a helmet, she has been using a spare of mine all year long, after a friend of a friend died because his ill fittinh helmet came off in acrash, we all double checked and hers didnt fit. I want to get her the best, definitly snell approved, Arai or shoei are my first choices, but what is comparable to these 2? someone once told me suomy makes a quality lid, but i cant get her crap, its gotta be the best.

i guess my question is are there any brands on par with arai/shoei that i should consider? and is anyone unloading a lid in size SM (preferably black) that will fit my needs?

thanks for all the help in advance

Chris

ps, anyone looking for a MED Shoei lid in black let me know, first 90 bucks takes it. She bought it and it dosent fit her tiny head, hence the need for a small, just trying to not take too big a loss(shes in it for 105)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-19-2003, 03:37 PM

Well..the top brands would be in no paticular order..Arai, Shoei, Sumoy, Shark, OKG...The best you can do is get one of these brands that FITS your g/f the best...Brand names are fine, but a good fitment is paramount... Some brands fit different shaped heads, so try and find a shop/dealer that has someone who's been trained in helmet fitment..

Old, Slow, but ...Smooth
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-19-2003, 03:50 PM Thread Starter

better said then done... all of the shops that sell helmets(ie the dealers of new bikes, not my local mechanic who is independent) are basically retarded. ive had a wheel put on backwards, a tire not beaded properly(ever deflate at 60? not fun) been told to leave causee the guys wanted to go home(but its 850, you close at 9...) etc... a med helmet is just a little too loose, so she has to be a small... the thing i like about the top brands is they usually adjust to fit with different pads, straps etc...

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-19-2003, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by blankgazex
better said then done... all of the shops that sell helmets(ie the dealers of new bikes, not my local mechanic who is independent) are basically retarded. ive had a wheel put on backwards, a tire not beaded properly(ever deflate at 60? not fun) been told to leave causee the guys wanted to go home(but its 850, you close at 9...) etc... a med helmet is just a little too loose, so she has to be a small... the thing i like about the top brands is they usually adjust to fit with different pads, straps etc...
I know a few people in N.Y. I'll get ahold of them and see if they have any ideas as to where you could go...so hang in there..

Old, Slow, but ...Smooth
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-19-2003, 05:17 PM

blank,
good luck with this. Here is my small imput. When it came time to put a lid on my woman, it was Aria for one big reason. It was the lightest. The lighter it was for my wife, the more comfortable she was. And we want our women comfee.
All these modern helments that you've mentioned are good, and fit is optimum, but my wife "really" noticed the weight thing.
I can't say enough about that. Later
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-20-2003, 04:40 AM
Dad

A very good topic. Again, there are many good brands, Snell rating being the major qualifier. Generally, once Snell has been met, the higher costs go to lightness, graphics, and frills. I think lightness matters for comfort but also could have a safety component in some instances. The rest is fit. That is underscored by Arai in its claims for the marketing policy that will only sell through qualified dealers who are trained in this area. While I think there's a bogus element to this policy to protect their higher prices and with weaknesses in execution, I don't disagree with the concept.

Fit is paramount and then, in control of the user only, tighten the damn strap! That should be on the verge of being uncomfortable to be sure it's not lost in an accident. I've seen helmets lost in sprint car accidents for this exact reason. There is also a squideo around showing a rider in full gear who is performing for the helmet cam and goes down with the helmet coming off on about the second bounce. It can definitely happen. Tighten the strap!

Keeping the "Hap" in "Happy Holidays"!

Regime change begins at home.

Blind patriotism is worse than no patriotism.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-20-2003, 12:18 PM

Best of info from HAMMER & Dad. I am a Shoei man as the FIT suits the shape of my head. Took me till '84 to find this out & must admit I tended to wear open face helmets till around '76.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-20-2003, 09:45 PM

O.K...I contacted a friend in N.Y. and he recomened that you go to Herblers Suzuki in Pendelton, and ask for Freddie...I guess you can tell him that Ryan sent you...Hope this helps...if possible, please let me know via a PM what the outcome is...

Old, Slow, but ...Smooth
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-21-2003, 03:37 AM
Dad

Quote:
Originally posted by Smitty
.... must admit I tended to wear open face helmets till around '76.
Me too Smitty. There wasn't much else readily available until then is my recollection. You too, Hammer?

What's called a 3/4 or open face now was considered a "full" helmet then. We had the three snap top and one each side face shields, though. I don't remember what the material of those face shields was, but it got scratched from a strong breeze making visibility at night with oncoming headlights a kaleidoscope light show. The newer face shields with the hardened surface treatment are SOOO much better.

Keeping the "Hap" in "Happy Holidays"!

Regime change begins at home.

Blind patriotism is worse than no patriotism.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-21-2003, 09:40 AM

Dad, I wore full faced helmets begining in the early 70's ..i.e. 72 I think, having a friend that was a Triumph factory rider in the AMA...he use to get helmets for free, and we wore the same size...so, I began wearing full face Bell Star lids...wore em from that day on...

Old, Slow, but ...Smooth
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode