Help on choosing a bike....please - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-05-2003, 03:17 PM Thread Starter

Help on choosing a bike....please

Hey all..I need some help and opinions on a new bike...I have been riding my buddies 00 Gsx-R600 for the whole summer and now I want to buy my own...I have been looking at a few but unsure what to get...I dont do alot of stunting at all, I mostly ride with my buddies or I will be riding with my girl on back....I have always liked the R6 but my buddy said he will sell me his bike since I ride it all the time...its in PERFECT condition with Cf Yosh pipe and only 5000 miles for $4500...The only thing is I think the suzuki is going to be more uncomfortable...ive been looking around for what people use that is most comfortable for cruisin and also riding passenger...what do u guys think..im 6ft 2 175lbs...so I am a lil taller and people say the R6 will be too small....help me out...thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-05-2003, 03:23 PM

Send a message via AIM to wantanaprilia
Which do YOU feel most comfertable on? If you`re really keen on comfert, you might want to look at a sport tourer, or naked bike, since full out sportbikes aren`t made to be comfertable. Also, how hard/ long did you ride your buddies gsxr? I`m assuming by "all summer" you didn`t just ride it now and then, under 6k RPM, right?
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-05-2003, 07:50 PM Thread Starter

Well I rode it about 3-4 days a week...alot of longer rides just seemed that on the suzuki my legs got a lil tired cuz of the bigger tank on there...I want to buy a bike that I can ride around with my gf on too...never ridden passenger so I dont know how that is...I love the power that the gsxr has too...

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-05-2003, 07:55 PM

I'm about the same size as you..6'2" 170 lbs, and the Yam seems very small to me, compared to a gixxer...as for riding 2 up, take it slow, practice on the side streets till your comfy, also, and this VERY important...your passenger should be made aware of how to react to the way you ride..i.e...leaning into turns, how to avoid slamming her head into you if ya need to stop quickly..ect..might be a good idea to have her take a course in riding, like the MSF course, you should take it too, you'll both learn alot..

Old, Slow, but ...Smooth
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-06-2003, 07:32 AM

What Hammer said about your GF. And make sure she *always* wears jeans so her calf doesn't get burned on your exhaust, especially while she's learning to mount/dismount. She won't be mounting anything with a burned leg if ya catch my drift.

Check out Kawasaki ZX6R pre-2003 models if you want a more comfortable 600cc sportbike.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-06-2003, 02:47 PM Thread Starter

Well my buddy owned a ninja and he had tons of problems so I have been told to stay away from them...never really rode one either....I jumped on an R1 also once and like u guys said it does feel kinda small thats why I am thinkin i shouldnt get one because if it feels too small with me then imagine 2 people on it...
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-06-2003, 04:24 PM

Take a good look at the Yamaha YZF600r (not the R6) as this is the bike with best mid range power plant when it came out n '97 & still the same come the new bikes in '04. Has dual saddle which is more comfortable to a piliion rider (how a g/f can feel comfortable on even this 600 let alone the other 600s with a little pirch for her is beyond me) & the bike has fantastic stopping power, fairing offers more coverage for a rider. If you can accept the fact that this bike lacks around 5 to 10mph, to others, when at full revs yet pulls so much better at 4 thou & up then here is the bike.

I have the above along with a '00 Honda 929 & the 600 paces at the same hwy speeds to the 929 with narry a sweat & a lot of revs yet to be used ONLY I am well above the max speed limit of any hwy in Cdn.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-06-2003, 06:15 PM Thread Starter

I used to own a 94 YZF 600R and that thing was real comfortable...never really thought about buying a newer one...maybe Ill check it out
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-07-2003, 05:15 AM

I'm definitely no expert on m/cs but I've been a passenger on a lot of bikes... So coming from my perspective... The Gixxer isn't that bad to be on the back of for your girlfriend... Boyfriend here has a GSXR 750, and it's not bad for comfort from what he says. =)
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-07-2003, 12:51 PM

Yeah what Smitty said about the YZF600R. My gf has an 03 R6 and it's tiny. Can't imagine either one of you being comfortable for long.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode