BIKE STOLEN! Dec 3rd from Sunrise FL (FORT LAUDERDALE), welleby lake club apt complex - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-05-2003, 04:34 AM Thread Starter

Angry BIKE STOLEN! Dec 3rd from Sunrise FL (FORT LAUDERDALE), welleby lake club apt complex

Well, I'm still numb... Some pos lowlife stole my childhood dream.

On Nov 17th 2003, I was finally able to purchase a brand new 04' Yamaha R6 after many years of anticipation. This was the first bike I have could ever say was "mine". This was not only one of the happiest days of my life but looking back on it now.. was probably the most ignorant day of my life up to this point. I feel betrayed by the dealership, disrespected by my finance company, and a little violated by society. I cant even look at my neighbors anymore without thinking they could have been involved.

Maybe I am gullible, a young punk kid, or just someone blinded by the fact that was finally able to purchase something significant with my own cash flow. Something I have earned with my own hands. But in one fail swoop, I have a $13,000 debt and no bike. Some people will think I am an idiot for not getting insurance but people should have the right to be informed.

When I purchased the bike from Broward Motorsport they never even mentioned insurance. When I specifically asked the sales manager about insurance, while signing the final paperwork, he said "Its not required". I assumed the finance company, Household Retail Services, insured the loan since they were the actual title holder. But it appears they changed policy last year and no longer insure loans under 10k(my total due is $11,610). Supposedly in 2002 they insured all loans over $5,000. I guess meeting quota in a rough economy supersedes protecting their customers. They really should be requiring customers to purchase at least liability, but I guess they are too busy slashing overhead such as insurance policies (which they insure themselves).

At the time of purchase, the only thing I was concerned about was getting into an accident. But I am very safe on the road. And felt confident that it could wait a few weeks. Not to mention I was tapped out financially for at least 3 weeks. The irony is that I was going to purchase insurance 2 days after it was stolen, on payday. Hindsight is 20/20, if I knew then what I know now.. I would have bought full coverage on a credit card.

DONT LET THIS HAPPEN TO YOU! SCREW THE DEALER! DONT LEAVE THE LOT WITHOUT INSURANCE!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
On Dec 3rd 2003, between 2am and 10am my brand new 2004 r6 was stolen in front of my apartment in plain view, in a gated complex. Under a light even, almost the same spot in the pictures.. less that 40 feet from my doorstep. The bike was locked with a new Xena XE12 disc lock w/alarm. Which was obviously not dismantled, as there were no metal shavings. The lock was either picked, someone had a key, or the bike was simply lifted into a vehicle (bike weighs 350 pounds). I feel that I was specifically targeted after a ride home from work, or someone tipped them off to a new bike in the area. There are many cruisers in my complex worth triple the value.

There is only one unique identifying mark:
The right frame slider goes through the right side fairing, a hole was dremeled.
(noted in picture)

Make/Model: Yamaha YZF-R6
Color: Red/Black
VIN# JYARJ06E84A011024
Temp Tag# H-759803
Miles on odometer at time of theft: 980

I am offering a $2500 reward for information leading to the recovery. I'd go another $13,000 into debt to see that the persons responsible get what they deserve.

After all was said and done this is what I have learned:
The dealer gets you in and out the door as fast as possible. And the finance
company does not require the bike to be insured. Its a formula for disaster.
$2500 Reward for information leading to the recovery. No questions asked.

-Red 2004 Yamaha R6, Purchased on November 17th(2 weeks ago).
-Stolen between 2am-9am on December 3rd, from the Welleby Lake Club in Sunrise, Florida.
NEW BIKE OWNERS/POTENTIAL BIKE OWNER:

DO NOT LEAVE THE LOT WITHOUT INSURANCE!!! Even if the dealer tells you its not required.

Facts I have learn from my bad situation:
-Insurance is the only way to protect yourself if your bike is stolen.
-Bike locks and alarms are a joke, and a false sense of security.
-A safe community will not help, if your bike is outside your at risk.
-The dealer does not care about you, they just want to make a sale.
-The finance company does not care about you, they just want to make money.

If anyone had any info please email/icq/call me:
[email protected]
icq# 13970998
954-224-9925

Also, if anyone has been through a similar experience, or thinks I may have a legal case please let me know.

Don't let this happen to you. Get lo jack or park it inside.

If you want an honest dealer ask them about their insurance recommendations. And ask your finance company if they insure their loans even if you do have insurance, its your last line of defense.

Fort Lauderdale area bikers beware!!!!!!!!

The bike was stolen where the red car is sitting in the pic(to the left):
http://nte.reliablehosting.com/johns..._stolen_r6.jpg

A big to the a$$hole that robbed me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-05-2003, 05:02 AM
S370HSSV 0773H

Send a message via Yahoo to spicersh
Angry F***ing Thieves....

I know exactly how you feel, my wife and I had a 2000 F4 stolen on New Year's Eve last year. Bike was covered, cable locked, and pinned up against a brick wall by our truck, and they still got it.

Sorry to hear your story. The thing that absolutely amazes me is that insurance was not required. I've bought bikes in Indiana and California, and the dealer wouldn't even let me sign the paperwork without showing proof of full coverage insurance, much less let me ride it off the lot. The full coverage insurance was only required because of the lien holder (I financed both of them) I believe, but even if I'd have gone in and paid cash I thought proof of insurance was required as it is illegal to drive any vehicle on the road without it. Perhaps the laws in Florida are different though. I'd say do some research on insurance requirements, maybe the dealer was in the wrong for letting you take it before showing proof of insurance. It's grabbing at straws, but it's worth a look.

Hope you get your baby back...we never got ours.

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all of fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomanical, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully. - Richard Dawkins, The God Delusion
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-05-2003, 05:04 AM
S370HSSV 0773H

I'll make this thread stick here and see about getting it in the Daily Rider Forum also, as there is more traffic there.

The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all of fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomanical, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully. - Richard Dawkins, The God Delusion

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-05-2003, 05:17 AM

i hope you find the guilty party riding it.

SQUID=Stupidly Quick, Underdressed, & Imminently Dead

Katie has a nice "spice rack".

If you can read this, thank a teacher....If you're reading this in English, thank a Veteran.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-05-2003, 05:28 AM Thread Starter

Thanks, I really appreciate it. If it wasn't for everyone being so nice, I would probably turn my back on the sportbike community in general. Tho I have had a pulse for sportbikes since I was a kid.. and it wont fade.

I miss her so much, its the kinda shit that makes a grown man cry (well, a responsible 22yr old grown man).

I'll be making payments until January 2010. Hopefully its recovered, but my thoughts are its a pro and I will never see her again. Guess im not being too positive, but thats just bitterness in my crackling voice.

Can someone link the daily rider forum? I can't seem to find it on google.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-05-2003, 05:35 AM
S370HSSV 0773H

The Daily Rider Forum is another forum on this website. You posted in the Florida Forum. I've already copied it to Daily Rider.

post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-05-2003, 05:41 AM Thread Starter

Thanks man, I really appreciate it.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-05-2003, 06:00 AM

Sorry to here about your loss , hope you catch the prick's that took it .
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-05-2003, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by 33351john
I'll be making payments until January 2010. Hopefully its recovered, but my thoughts are its a pro and I will never see her again.
PLEASE tell us you were insured for theft, especially since it was financed.

SQUID=Stupidly Quick, Underdressed, & Imminently Dead

Katie has a nice "spice rack".

If you can read this, thank a teacher....If you're reading this in English, thank a Veteran.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-05-2003, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by monkey
PLEASE tell us you were insured for theft, especially since it was financed.

I think that's the point he's trying to make, Monkey.... That he didn't have theft insurance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode