Sportbikers fight the cold - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-02-2003, 11:58 AM Thread Starter
jab

Sportbikers fight the cold

Well as some of you know I am not still riding this season because I need a new motor. I am usually in Florida by now but I am staying in Maine for the winter. I did notice today that here in Maine lately I have seen a lot of bikers still out riding (wish I were one of them). Heres the catch!!! Every single one of them have been a sportbike rider. In the summer the cruisers outnumber the sportbikes 10-1, but I have litererally only seen sportbikers still riding for about the past 3 weeks. Anyone else in sub freezing weather notice a similar trend or is it that us Maine Sportbikers are just that much tougher and more passionate than everyone else???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-02-2003, 12:06 PM

To deep into winter in my area due to snow & such, but when it comes to colder weather & riders can still function it is the very OPPOSITE in my area & I am basically the only sportbike rider on the hwys. Mind you throughout the season for ever sportbike I see on the hwy (note I say HWY & not in town riding) I see 10 to 20 HD/cruisers as these are the most popular irons.

Are your sportbike riders in town on on a long stretch of the hwy? If just short runs in town then good possibility they are riding their bikes to some cafe & back again. Same here in many cases BUT it is to the beer joint on their HD/Cruisers.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-02-2003, 12:11 PM

well jab, i think one part of your observations during the summer that you failed to include is the number of those cruisers that happen to be from out of state. you know yourself that Bah Hahbah tends to be touristy. its kinda tough to rip it up through Acadia NP at 10mph due to traffic.

i'll bet most of the bikes you see now are more locals and most of those cruisers were from out of state. just south of you, the majority of bikes here that are seen are sport bikes. and when it gets cold, you typically don't see cruisers out unless they have a wind shield.

EDIT: i was just up in your neck of the woods last week. too bad i didn't think of getting a hold of you. we could have hooked up for some coffee or a beer. i went hunting up in Vanceboro which is East of Lincoln (2hrs from Bangor)

SQUID=Stupidly Quick, Underdressed, & Imminently Dead

Katie has a nice "spice rack".

If you can read this, thank a teacher....If you're reading this in English, thank a Veteran.

Last edited by monkey; 12-02-2003 at 12:14 PM.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-02-2003, 12:32 PM Thread Starter
jab

Well most of them have been in town, probably just quick trips, But I did see two guys out on I95 on a couple of triumphs(sportbikes) a few days ago. Your right monkey most of the cruisers in the summer are from out of state, although I am down in portland now so a little mor local riding community down here. Now Im on the hunt, to see howmany cruisers I see out and about. Sorry guys I havent had to go without a bike for more than a day or two for a couple of years now and am getting very bored!! So I notice all these things. Monkey you should have looked me up, I am in portland now. Just one thing though, you said hunting but we didnt hear anything else?? Any luck?? Or did the elusive Maine white tail prevalil again!!!!
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-02-2003, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jab
Just one thing though, you said hunting but we didnt hear anything else?? Any luck?? Or did the elusive Maine white tail prevalil again!!!!
let me answer your question with a question

there's deer in maine?

in short...no luck at all. didn't even see one. saw some moose though.

portland huh? thats only about 2 hours from here i think, isn't it?

If you can read this, thank a teacher....If you're reading this in English, thank a Veteran.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-02-2003, 12:47 PM Thread Starter
jab

Id say 1-1 1/2 hours. I havent been around during hunting season for a few years but I've heard they are thinning out! The coyotes are plentiful though from what I hear!!
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-02-2003, 12:47 PM
Dad

Quote:
Originally posted by monkey

in short...no luck at all. didn't even see one. saw some moose though.
You coulda' had a moose! Just tell 'em you're a city boy and didn't know the difference. You always thought Bullwinkle was Rudolph's brother with one of those giant's diseases that the family wouldn't talk about.

BTW, more Harleys here when it's cold.

Keeping the "Hap" in "Happy Holidays"!

Regime change begins at home.

Blind patriotism is worse than no patriotism.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-02-2003, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dad
You coulda' had a moose! Just tell 'em you're a city boy and didn't know the difference. You always thought Bullwinkle was Rudolph's brother with one of those giant's diseases that the family wouldn't talk about.

BTW, more Harleys here when it's cold.
i can see the humor here Dad but i'm too serious of a hunter.

i saw about 5 moose all week total. the coyote population is very high up there and about 3 years ago, i just learned, that they were logging in the area and the loggers poached about 22 doe's. now if you take the fawn/doe ratio of 2 over the course of the 3 years, thats over 130 deer now missing from the herd. plus it was a very hard winter for them last year.

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-03-2003, 03:55 AM
Strength and Honor

Thumbs down

I drive a lot in Indiana, and a reasonably large amount in Illinois, and I have seen NO motorcycles at all in the past two weeks (or so), after the cold snap passed through. Don't know what kind of area you live in, but here we have high winds (no hills or mountains, and rare forests/woods) and killer wind chill as a result.

If my bike didn't need maintenance during the winter, I'd consider getting electric-warming gloves and a helmet curtain, but that'd be the only way to make riding survivable here. My hands freeze below freezing, with a pair of wicking snowboard gloves and my leather gauntlets over top.

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-03-2003, 06:12 AM

Send a message via AIM to wantanaprilia
27 here and I`m heading out in about an hour. First day I`ve had the new bike and not had to work so I`m not sitting around
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode