Front brake feel? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-28-2003, 05:29 PM Thread Starter

Front brake feel?

This may or may not be dumb question, the first time i got on my sportbike i had to grab a handfull of front brake for fear of running the 8 point buck over that was in the middle of the street, wierd thing is the front brake grabs a helluva lot more then i had expected, and now im almost scared to use the front brake and washing the front tire out from under me, are these brakes on the bikes that good they grab so well? I realize on some videos of people doing endos and passing the camera you can really hear the brake whine, so i assume the brakes are meant to be very touchy? Any reassurance will be appreciated.. I want to know my limits with the front brake in case of an emergency, but the only good test for that is to do it again which im not looking forward to..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-28-2003, 06:58 PM

Send a message via AIM to wantanaprilia
More than likely it was the fact that it was the first time on a street bike, and you were in a panic state, so you grabbed more than you should have. If you`re really that nervous about it, find an empty parking lot thats clean of oil spills and what not, and slowly practice giving the front brake more and more pressure. You don`t want to "grab" the lever, either, just ease onto it, if you need to slow quicker, squeeze a little more. And if you`re REALLY worried about it, get a bicycle and practice on, its not going to hurt you or the bicycle if you fuck up, and it`ll give you an idea of how to control your hand. Just make sure its your bike, or someone that doesn`t care about it... turns out moms don`t like you doing stoppies on their bikes

Good luck
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-28-2003, 07:39 PM

If you could provide a bit more info..re: the bike you have...if any mods were made to the front brake..ect...As some bikes have touchier (did I invent new word?) than others, some bikes have what I would consider to be better brakes, in terms of being stock, i.e. gixxers have some of the worst brakes imho..where the Yam, and Honda have some pretty good brakes..But then being that was your first time on that street bike, there's reallly no way for us to say what is more brake, than normal...Could be more to you, but less to someone else..

Old, Slow, but ...Smooth

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-28-2003, 08:22 PM

hehe, he said "touchier ", hehe

Bike stops a heck of a lot faster than a car too.

Last edited by Shames; 11-28-2003 at 08:26 PM.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-28-2003, 11:32 PM

Basically a modern sportbike has 80 to 90% of its stopping power on the large dual disc brakes vs the smaller single disc at the rear. On learns that only two fingers is all they basically need & even then a gentle pull. Still one should make it so some pressure is applied to the rear brake in proper stopping.

Some of us prefer even better front brake stopping power & so will have the bike fitted with Kevlar or SS braided front brake lines.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-29-2003, 06:57 AM Thread Starter

Yes i knew this would be hard to explain and get an answer too.. I have been riding for quite a while on a 1982 honda sabre, that had dual front discs, a little smaller then the ones on my zx6r (o1). I doubt the system has been upgraded from stock, but do these bikes come with some special pads?? Maybe sintered or something? It does kind of make a whiney noise, its not too noticable but then again i have never had this on my old bike..
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-29-2003, 07:26 AM

There's been a huge improvement in brakes since 1982. I notice the difference the other way around when I ride my 1983 Honda Turbo, which is equipped with what I call "plan ahead" brakes. I have to begin braking sooner and use greater lever pressure than on a newer bike. And your ZX-6R has better brakes than any of my other bikes, so you'll feel an even greater difference.

You absolutely must overcome your fear of the front brake. Get out and practice, starting at 25mph and increasing speed as you gain confidence. Use two fingers, and squeeeeze the lever, don't grab it. The first 80% or so of braking force can be applied quickly (but still squeezing, not grabbing), but for the last 20%, work on making the front end compress smoothly as weight transfers forward and front tire grip increases.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode