Last ride - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-19-2003, 01:00 PM Thread Starter
Strength and Honor

Last ride

Well, many of you northern/midwestern folks have packed up the bike, but since I just got mine back together, I've been praying for warmer weather. And I thought today was it, so I rode into work...............

and my fingers nearly fell off. The ride home at 9p will be as tough, I suspect, though I'm praying for wind that goes WITH me this time. At least the new pants are really keeping the lower half warm. But I think this'll be it for the season for me

I hate admitting defeat.

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-19-2003, 01:27 PM

Joinin ya

I put mine away a couple wks ago after riding in 38 degree weather during night. I froze.
Hope the winter is short and nice weather to follow!
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-19-2003, 02:36 PM

Am I crazy or am I just new?

Today it was almost 55F. I waited until the rain quit from the morning and pulled the tarp off the bike. I set the choke 'cause she was a little cold and suited up while I waited. I admit it was a bit cold, but layered and got out there. Rode around my favorite curvy and rolling roads for a couple hours and pointed her back home. I took over the "at home" on the kid care issues, and my wife hit the road for a couple hours. If I'm crazy, at least I have company.

The forcast here calls for at least a day or two more clear and cool, after that I think I'll pull it in for the season. I'll keep you posted on my insanity.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-19-2003, 06:22 PM

Send a message via AIM to Tippmann Send a message via Yahoo to Tippmann
Nah you're not crazy, we're just full of pansy's(kanwisch) around here. I still putt around when it warms up. I won't put mine away till the first snow

Quote:
Originally posted by sidewaysducati
SWIPE THE CARD GRANDMA!!!
SWIPE THE GODDAMNED CARD!!!!
WARNING
If you are reading this then this warning is for you. Every word you read of this useless fine print is another second off your life. Don't you have other things to do? Is your life so empty that you honestly can't think of a better way to spend these moments? Or are you so impressed with authority that you give respect and credence to all who claim it? Do you read everything you're supposed to read? Do you think everything you're supposed to think? Buy what you're told you should want? Get out of your apartment. Meet a member of the opposite sex. Stop the excessive shopping and masturbation. Quit your job. Start a fight. Prove you're alive. If you don't claim your humanity you will become a statistic. You have been warned...... Tyler
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-19-2003, 08:35 PM

Yup I still got mine running. Gonna be up to the low 50's this weekend so if the rain holds off I hope to get a ride in. I'm probably not going to put it away for another couple weeks. When its 15 degrees in january i know i'd be kicking myself for not stretching the season as long as I could.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-20-2003, 04:10 AM Thread Starter
Strength and Honor

Quote:
Originally posted by Tippmann
Nah you're not crazy, we're just full of pansy's(kanwisch) around here. I still putt around when it warms up. I won't put mine away till the first snow
Tippy, when you're right, you're right; I am a pansy

Just not this time. I commute on my bike at 6am and 9pm each day. So, while it might be 55F at 2p, its more like 32F at 6a, and then I'm traveling 65mph roughly the entire 100 miles. When you feel a wind chill below freezing at that speed, you'll think twice about doing it again.

And I used to love winter, but now that I love motorcycling, I'm beginning to doubt my seasonal preferences.

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-20-2003, 04:44 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by kanwisch
Tippy, when you're right, you're right; I am a pansy

Just not this time. I commute on my bike at 6am and 9pm each day. So, while it might be 55F at 2p, its more like 32F at 6a, and then I'm traveling 65mph roughly the entire 100 miles. When you feel a wind chill below freezing at that speed, you'll think twice about doing it again.

And I used to love winter, but now that I love motorcycling, I'm beginning to doubt my seasonal preferences.
Hey, I respect that myself. I wouldn't ride below mid 40s myself. I know from riding yesterday that 55 MPH and 55F equals numb hands in very short order. And funny how you need your hands for this paticular task. I think if this wasn't just a play bike I'd have put it away already myself.

Cheers.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-20-2003, 05:35 AM

I think round here supposed to be nice this weekend, so I know I'm gonna try to get out there for a bit. I don't know if I'll put mine up all the way or not. She might be inside a warm home for the winter, or hell if the snow isn't anything this year, ride her year round.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-20-2003, 06:40 AM

Supposed to be 60 and sunny this weekend in NY.....HEATWAVE!!! I'm riding!
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-20-2003, 06:44 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to FZR400Tony
i think i may have had my last ride for the year. this past weekend a friend and i went to tpm's vir dates on sunday and monday. we were gonna ride to nc on saturday, but rain and my friend's brand new monster s4r changed those plans.

so my last ride actually turned out to be pretty fun. i rode the soouth course in the rain in the morning. by afternoon it was cold so i sat out. then monday was the north course. i rode alright in the morning. bumped down a group to find people to ride with and started moving better in the red group. damn near high sided myself. i saved it, stopped at a cornerworker station and that looks to be how my season will end.

i drained the water from my bike at a gas station in southern virginia (drained into a catch pan echo-fans and will be disposed of properly, dogs and kids are safe) and filled it with anti-freeze and mixed it through the bike, so it's done.

Tony

Coward stays behind freedom.
A braveman stands in front of freedom and defends it for others.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode